| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Job hunting sucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:12 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm really struggling to find work, I've been looking for almost a year now. A lot of my friends have lost their jobs in this time and just walked straight into new ones, this is making me think oh my gosh what is wrong with me. And everyone keeps asking how it's going! I'm just constantly telling people 'yes, I am still unemployed'

I am honestly worried that nobody is ever going to want to employ me ever again right now

Post subject: Re: Job hunting sucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 am 
ugh

My boyfriend went over a year without finding a job. I'm not going to offer you advice because I'm sure you've heard it all, but I do sympathize, job hunting is the worst. I'm sure you'll find something eventually, though!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

my bf also just got a job again after more than a year of unemployment. It really blows but it's not uncommon now. Just keep trying, you will definitely get hired again. Some people do just happen to luck into jobs quickly, but it doesn't mean that you are lacking in any way, a lot of it just luck and timing.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:52 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

try a temp agency. i was once hired directly through that avenue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It's not just you, and it's frustrating as hell. I think these days finding a good, full-time job really comes down to knowing people who are affiliated with a particular company or sheer dumb luck, so I wouldn't feel bad that your friends are finding work quicker than you are, because who knows how they managed to get those jobs. Anyway, I left my last position voluntarily (it was really THAT BAD), and not being able to find a full-time gig quickly sucks, especially since people can be like "Oh, you quit your job? In this market?! Oh, you haven't found another one? INTERESTING. HOW DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY??" I don't have enough money, thanks for asking. It actually can make me feel really awkward at times, because when I meet people I don't really know they always ask "What do you do?" and I get to say "HurrrrrrrrrrrrnothingrightnowIguess" over and over again. It's been several months for me too, but I guess I knew that might happen and it's my own fault. When I apply for stuff I am very qualified for and never hear back it can make me feel worthless, but in a forked up way it makes me feel better to realize it's not just me who's struggling with this stuff right now.

The thing that makes me craziest is that now I feel like I have to fight for jobs I'm way overqualified for, that pay less than the job I had 10 years ago before I had a college/grad degree. I was looking at NYC Craigslist the other day and saw an ad that was like "Minimum 6 years of corporate experience, $9/hour." what the fizzle?! Also, I think the word "corporate" was misspelled in the ad but let's not worry about that.

Hang in there though, I've seen friends/relatives get FT jobs they actually like within the last couple years, so it's not impossible. Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:09 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm coming up on a year myself. I've done some substitute teaching and some tutoring, but this is the first time in 15 years that I've not been working, and I'm really dangerously low on savings. I'm going to have to start asking for financial help soon. I'm frustrated because I'm more qualified now than when I was employed - I have a master and two (three next month) certifications, but I've had no luck.

Limone sums it all up pretty well. People I know with nearly no skills or education in the field have been hired because of connections to the company, which passes over better candidates for them.

I know the no one will ever want me feeling, but just keep trying. Temp agencies are great! Also, depending on where you live, some school districts are really in need for subs and will hire you with no experience or education in the field. It kinds of sucks, but it can keep you afloat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Limone wrote:
It's not just you, and it's frustrating as hell. I think these days finding a good, full-time job really comes down to knowing people who are affiliated with a particular company or sheer dumb luck, so I wouldn't feel bad that your friends are finding work quicker than you are, because who knows how they managed to get those jobs. Anyway, I left my last position voluntarily (it was really THAT BAD), and not being able to find a full-time gig quickly sucks, especially since people can be like "Oh, you quit your job? In this market?! Oh, you haven't found another one? INTERESTING. HOW DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY??" I don't have enough money, thanks for asking. It actually can make me feel really awkward at times, because when I meet people I don't really know they always ask "What do you do?" and I get to say "HurrrrrrrrrrrrnothingrightnowIguess" over and over again. It's been several months for me too, but I guess I knew that might happen and it's my own fault. When I apply for stuff I am very qualified for and never hear back it can make me feel worthless, but in a forked up way it makes me feel better to realize it's not just me who's struggling with this stuff right now.

The thing that makes me craziest is that now I feel like I have to fight for jobs I'm way overqualified for, that pay less than the job I had 10 years ago before I had a college/grad degree. I was looking at NYC Craigslist the other day and saw an ad that was like "Minimum 6 years of corporate experience, $9/hour." what the fizzle?! Also, I think the word "corporate" was misspelled in the ad but let's not worry about that.

Hang in there though, I've seen friends/relatives get FT jobs they actually like within the last couple years, so it's not impossible. Good luck to you!

Wow Limone, I think you and I are jobless twins! I quit a job that was destroying me mentally- I've never quit a job without having something lined up before. It's been a month today, in fact. I've started telling people I'm a stay at home cat mom when they ask me those questions. Then they laugh awkwardly and I change the subject. And I hear ya on the applying for jobs I'm way overqualified for, jobs that pay barely over minimum wage and ask for 4 years of experience. I write these awesome cover letters, attach what I think is a pretty impressive resume, and.... nothing.

To reiterate your first point, yes, my understanding is that networking is key. The good jobs and even the not so good jobs seem to come down to who you know, who can crack open a door so you can jam your foot into it. All my friends are also working low paying jobs they are overqualified for at places that are not hiring.

Oh well. Good luck everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 am 
Tofu Pup

I can completely relate to you, I have been looking for a job for almost a year now after I left a job that was destroying me mental. Which I have never left a job without having a new job lined up before. I have landed one interview in the past few months for a job that I was way overqualified for, but was told that I didn't have the right skills for the job. It really does take networking to get a job in this economy no matter where you live, I have learned this. I have to network to get that one interview that ended up being a bust. So when people ask are you still unemployed I tell them I'm currently still searching.

Here's my little corner of the web: http://www.southernpurplevegan.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am one of those lucky people who just plops from one job to the other. I was fired from one job at the end of March 2 years ago, started up at a new one barely 3 weeks later. Left that job when I had another one lined up, where I am currently.

While I do consider myself very lucky, it certainly helps to network like crazy. I work in a specific field in banking where everybody knows each other, since there only so many international bank in NYC and they keep merging. I almost had a heart attack when my current managers told me they were good friends with the managers of 2 jobs ago who fired me! But apparently they said good things about me, because here I am.

I am also really good at helping my friends find jobs. So if you know anyone in other companies in the field where you work, keep in touch with them. Email, call! If you see a job posting in a company where you know someone, send them your resume and tell them they could get a referral bonus if they submit it on your behalf. I have gotten many a referral bonus myself. Sometimes I think I should open an employment agency. I can honestly say I have helped at least 4 or 5 of my friends get jobs, directly or indirectly. Use whatever you got. Talk to people. My first job I got it because my mother worked with the mother of the lady who worked in a bank who knew the guy who needed someone who spoke Italian....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I hear you. I just graduated and my chosen field (museum work) is absolutely stagnant right now. Case in point- I applied for a temporary job at a historical society. My rejection email noted that over 300 people had applied. For a temporary position that probably did not pay more than $15/hour or so.

Guess I'll have to get a day job, play the lotto, and write my YA novel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I up and quit my mentally stressful (but decent paying and fun) job in 2011, and it took me 8 months to find a employment. Now, I don't like it and am looking again (but while employed this time!)

I tried to stay very productive during this time. I taught myself a bit of photoshop and graphic design, as well as take some online courses/webcasts etc in my field so that I would not be out of touch when I got back into it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:44 am 

bathsheba wrote:
I hear you. I just graduated and my chosen field (museum work) is absolutely stagnant right now. Case in point- I applied for a temporary job at a historical society. My rejection email noted that over 300 people had applied. For a temporary position that probably did not pay more than $15/hour or so.

the last job i got (which i left because the executive director was very hostile, and didn't understand me at all) was also for a historical society, paying $12/hour, 20 hours a week, and she said she also got hundreds of applicants. (but this was also in camden, and many of the applicants were way underqualified.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Just chiming in to say that I'm in the same place. I got my bachelor's degree, with honors, blah blah blah, a year ago and have yet to get a job in my field. Even getting and keeping a part-time retail job is really hard right now. And I absolutely hate when people ask how the job search is going and then talk about their kids/grandkids/nieces and nephews who got these awesome jobs right out of college doing something they love. It's frustrating and I know how you feel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
And I absolutely hate when people ask how the job search is going and then talk about their kids/grandkids/nieces and nephews who got these awesome jobs right out of college doing something they love. It's frustrating and I know how you feel.

Haha, yeah. My dad recently brought me up to date on my cousin, who's a recent college grad and about 7 years younger than I am I think? Apparently she got a great job offer in London right after finishing school, but didn't want to take it because it's too far away. what the fizzle???!!? I would kill for an opportunity to move back over there, but the job market seems even worse there than it is here. And then there's her sister, who is only a couple of years older and gainfully employed in her industry of choice at a place she loves. Of course I am happy for both of them and the fact that they have great opportunities available to them, but having my father tell me about it repeatedly as a "encouraging pep talk" doesn't exactly make me feel better about myself or my skills.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have been struggling with unemployment for about 8 months and I just finally got a job offer last week. Just keep at it and eventually something has to work out. This job is only part time (25 hours) and the pay is less than I was hoping for (but I really can't afford to be picky right now), but it's in my field and only four blocks from my apartment. I feel so much relief right now. Don't give up! The job market sucks right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 pm 

less pay for working 4 blocks away is perfectly fine. (you have to take into account commute time, after all.) congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

carolawesome wrote:
I have been struggling with unemployment for about 8 months and I just finally got a job offer last week. Just keep at it and eventually something has to work out. This job is only part time (25 hours) and the pay is less than I was hoping for (but I really can't afford to be picky right now), but it's in my field and only four blocks from my apartment. I feel so much relief right now. Don't give up! The job market sucks right now.

Congratulations! And having a job so close by is awesome, because not only do you save money on commuting, but you save yourself a lot of time/stress too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I quit my job back in July because it was making me miserable, and I didn't have anything lined up. This may not have been a great financial decision, but it's been a blessing for my mental health. I haven't started looking for a new job yet but when I do, the first thing I'm going to do is try to sign up with several temp agencies. I would rather do temp work right now anyway.

I'm going to start calling myself a stay at home cat mom like dakini. If only it were a paying position...

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

JellyBelly, easy for me to say but don't give up! Be kind to yourself. Do you have anything you can do/are doing that can bring income for the while?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 pm 

Big congrats on the job, carolawesome! I definitely think less pay for closer to home is a fair trade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:44 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I got let go from Countrywide in November 2007 and haven't found anything yet. I temp, but barely had that for two years. I have done taxes seasonally for the last three years, but found out yesterday that I can't go back to where I was last year, becuase they are leaving the tax preparation business. And to top it off, my husband, who was supporting us, was fired in the beginning of July. I'm in Florida, so currently unemployment is a hit or miss, and I can get it but my husband can't. No words of advice, just to try the temp agencies and keep trying.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I applied for this job about a month ago that I meet the qualifications for PERFECTLY, and no phone call or email... but the job posting is still up. What are they waiting for? uuugghhhhhh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 pm 

I got phone calls/e-mails from eight different jobs I applied for yesterday. Eight. How crazy is that?
Had two interviews today. I may be getting a part time job at a veg-friendly body care company. (Not LUSH- been there, done that.) At my age and with my education, I feel like I should be doing "more", but with all my mental health issues, I think a part time, fun job might be just what I need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:09 pm 

wow! i wonder if back-to-school time is helping. (i know i would leave jobs when i went back to school)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm on the job hunt at the moment too. I've been applying since early June and have sent off maybe 50 applications and heard back from 5 (2 of those rejections). It doesn't help that there are about 850 other new vet grads who've just been released into the working world to compete against. Each job is getting between 100 and 200 applications so it's pretty tough. I do have 2 interviews next week though so fingers crossed one comes up good.