| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan on the Cheap
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just made the chocolate pb oatmeal no-bake cookies again to take to a potluck gathering for work. They disappeared in about 25 minutes and everyone was raving about them. They are so simple and are a great last-minute recipe. One of my colleagues said they reminded him of Spanish turrons. I might be nice and bring in another batch next week!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:26 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've only made the cheapamole from this cookbook, but it was really good. I used mostly edamame beans instead of peas, and spiced it up a bit and it turned out to be the most authentic-tasting mock guacamole I've tried. Will definetely make again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Big fan of VOTC.

pumpkin stew rocks
white bean pizza YUM
wheatballs made with bbq sauce at my friend's wedding reception. melt in your mouth goodness
ZOMG---chocolate cherry bread pudding, so so so decadent!
pasta fagioli inspired a dish.

this has been my go-to with pantry/freezer purges. subs are a cinch!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

jewbacca wrote:
white bean pizza YUM

The Tuscan white bean and tomato pizza? I made that over the Victoria Day long weekend. It was delicious! I currently have my eye on the sausage and peppers recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I logged in from my usual lazy lurking position just to say how much I love this book. I made the 3-bean loaf tonight. Totally awesome old-school meatloaf. I served it with a cashew gravy and it was so good and comforting and old-fashioned. I love calculating how cheap the recipes are and feeling all virtuous. Also really liked the black and white chili, the Mexican rice and bean bake, the summer soup, and a bunch of other stuff. I love the basic recipes and all the tips. One of my favorite cookbooks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh yay for a VOTC thread. :) I haven't used this as much as I have Vegan Planet or 1000 Vegan Recipes, but I have enjoyed what I have made. I have made a lot of the salads to take to work for lunches. I really liked the Cincinatti Suburb Chili (what a great combination) and Takeaway Stir-Fry and the Lentil and Butternut Linguine. I have made more than this, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I should give this book some more love.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:30 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

dimsimkitty wrote:
Oh yay for a VOTC thread. :) I haven't used this as much as I have Vegan Planet or 1000 Vegan Recipes, but I have enjoyed what I have made. I have made a lot of the salads to take to work for lunches. I really liked the Cincinatti Suburb Chili (what a great combination) and Takeaway Stir-Fry and the Lentil and Butternut Linguine. I have made more than this, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I should give this book some more love.

I haven't made anything in this book yet but think I will try the Cincinnatti Suburb Chili.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Spinach pie
Spinach pie
Spinach pie
Spinach pie
Spinach pie

ZOMG. Add mozza Daiya. It'll knock your socks off.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:48 pm 

I just made the Call it Cassoulet, and it was really good! I did throw in a can of tomato paste for a little zing, and that really put it over the top.
And the Make-Your-Own Mayo is worth the price of the book itself.
Can't wait to try so many more of the recipes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Slow Cooker Seitan Pot Roast is simmering right now....I feel like this is a milestone in my vegan cooking....my first seitan! Hope it's good. :) I really like this cookbook.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I haven't cooked a lot from this cookbook but I just made the pasta fagioli and the big pepperoni stick.

Oh my goodness! Those are both just delicious! I gobbled down of one of the pepperoni sticks.

I've made the salsa and the sour creme before out of this book and I thought both were really good too. I have people request the salsa recipe all the time. I love it because it's so basic and easy.

I'm about to give my copy to my friend to help her transition to Veganism. Now, I'm going to have to go get a second copy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:30 am 

My seitan came out a little brainy but still tasted good. And we got 3 servings of pot roast and veggies out of it, plus enough leftovers to make the Deja Stew and get 4 more servings out of that.

Conveniently Vegan could be a good book for your friend...the recipes in it seem really cheap too and are very basic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:54 am 
Nailed to the V

I made "better than mom's sausage patties" this was my first foray with working with vital wheat gluten. (i was kind of intimidated). but these taste AWESOME.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We made the sweet potato and cashew salad the other day - delicious, and the sweet potato cashew mix was even better after a day of marinating in the vinaigrette. The roasted parsnip-beet-carrot salad is still my favorite though! I really think this book is phenomenal, and with grocery spending coming up elsewhere on the site I have to say it also has a lot of really good tips on saving money, not just recipes... And I continue to appreciate how a lot of the recipes are structured to let you slide along a spectrum of convenience vs. money saving. I just made another 3 trays of my favorite recipe, the baked ziti (I use cashew ricotta from Vcon instead of her tofu ricotta, though, so really I don't follow the recipe *much*) the other day with costco ingredients. It is so good to have trays of this frozen so we always have a backup meal when I don't feel like cooking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i really should check this out. i'm kind-of oblivious to the vegan cookbooks lately. (being so numerous) but this seems right up my alley.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone made the Three Grain Bread from this book? I did yesterday and the recipe just says to set the bread machine for light crust, so I set it to basic light crust. Well it didn't rise well and came out super dense. I am wondering if she meant to set it on a wheat bread setting. Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:34 pm 

kdub wrote:
I just made the chocolate pb oatmeal no-bake cookies again to take to a potluck gathering for work. They disappeared in about 25 minutes and everyone was raving about them. They are so simple and are a great last-minute recipe. One of my colleagues said they reminded him of Spanish turrons. I might be nice and bring in another batch next week!

I made them for a birthday party a couple of weeks ago and they were absolutely inhaled...the hostess, who is an all-star baker, said they were better than the recipe her family has been using for years and asked me to write it down for her. They are THAT GOOD. So good they are dangerous. :P Even the teenagers were complimenting me on them.

I love this cookbook. Everything is tasty and, for the most part, easy to put together, and uses basic ingredients. I also like how she encourages substitutions and gives suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:59 pm 

i made the indian spiced lentil ragu tonight. it's delicioso! (i didn't have the yogurt, but it's no biggie. it was just a condiment)

the other night i made the pennywise peanutty penne, and that too was very tasty. (except i didn't have the green onions on hand, so i went without. i read through the whole book, and it's fascinating how many of the recipes use green onions. i wouldn't necessarily call them an inexpensive ingredient. i think what i will do is dehydrate a bunch of them and that way i'll at least have most of the flavor on hand so i don't have to run out specifically for them, and the ones i neglect to use would at least not go bad in the fridge.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

They are pretty cheap here in Michigan. When I buy green onions, I slice them all up, wash them sliced in a strainer, and the ones I don't use, I put in a freezer bag and freeze for the next time. Otherwise they go to waste. If anything I add them to cornbread for a more savory taste.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 am 

oh, freezer is probably better. (they'd probably make my dehydrator smell, and their volatile oils would probably evaporate anyway)

they were on sale this week for 1.99 for 3 small bunches.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't have the exact ingredients to make the 3 grain bread to try it, but the proportions look about right for my 2lb bread maker.. I would probably do anything with whole grains on the whole wheat setting, but I would also make sure your yeast is up to date, maybe try rapid rise yeast, maybe add a little (<= 1 T) sugar, make sure you didn't add too much salt..

I have made other bread recipes of Robin's in the bread maker (even when not intended that way) and had them come out great.. The rustic olive and tomato bread from Vegan Planet comes to mind...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:48 pm 

I've made the 3-grain bread and I think it uses way too much cornmeal. The loaf is heavy and dries out within a day. I didn't care for it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

It can't just be a Michigan thing, but yes, out here green onions are commonly 50¢ each, if not 3 for a dollar.

I haven't used this book very often, but I've made the Walnut-Crusted Tofu with Spinach and Orange on multiple occasions. It's one of my favorite tofu recipes out there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

They are expensive here too. I usually leave them out or substitute leeks, which are often cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:09 pm 

i'm going to plant my roots in some soil to see how long they can grow without getting too big.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next