| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:16 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm making the curried lentil wraps this week but couldn't find any creamed coconut. Can I just do the put-the-coconut-milk-in-the-fridge trick and hope for the best?

On another note the blackened cutlets from "something blackened this way comes" were fabulous!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm 

Just read through the whole thread and saw my question answered. Search failed me! I'm still going to do the cold coconut milk thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 pm 
Cranky

I made the Hot Brown today and was disappointed. The sauce just tasted like coconut and mustard--not the most appetizing combo! I had to throw out the rest. The Tofu Bits were ok but bland. I'll use up the rest of them in something else.

I guess I didn't pick the best place to start.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I loved the hot brown. I thought the sauce was lovely and I even used up leftover tofu bits in a sandwich without finding it bland at all. Different strokes....

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:24 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Stop the presses! Trader Joe's had creamed coconut yesterday for $1.49/can!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the moo free cutlets. (well I made them cutlets).

Round one was a total utter disaster (which is why I have moo free ground beef in my fridge LOL) I don't know WHAT i was doing last night, but they were SO wet. (even putting them in hte oven again for another hour today just made them a bit drier. I made another batch, and these were much better. They don't seem as "firm" as the no-clucks, but still buneo good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Kelvia wrote:

Can you tell me how thick or thin this is, compared to full-fat coconut milk? What we used in the book is almost like a paste and needs reconstituted with water, it's not liquid at all. You might have to play around with the amount of extra liquid added to the recipes if it's not a paste like what we used. Keep me posted and we'll figure it out together if needed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think the Bulgur Hummus Wraps will pay for the book just by the money I'll save making them myself instead of getting the lentil one at TJ's. Such a simple wrap but I couldn't figure it out myself. I love how the bulgur is just soaked, not cooked.

The Peanut Butter Banana Bacon sandwich horrifies/intrigues me, so I'll probably make that soon. And the Green Monster Bread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

celine wrote:
Hope you don't mind me butting into this thread again, but Michelle has a great picture of the PB brownie sandwiches right here: http://my-zoetrope.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... iches.html

Thank you! I hope to start cooking next week.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 pm 

The curried lentil wraps were great. I now understand why you need the creamed coconut. My sauce was too liquid-y. I just cooked it down and it was yummy. We added steamed broccoli. I only did half the red pepper flakes because my kids don't all like the heat. My five year old hated the wraps, but that means nothing because he hates everything. The 12yo and 8yo liked it a lot though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

celine wrote:
Kelvia wrote:

Can you tell me how thick or thin this is, compared to full-fat coconut milk? What we used in the book is almost like a paste and needs reconstituted with water, it's not liquid at all. You might have to play around with the amount of extra liquid added to the recipes if it's not a paste like what we used. Keep me posted and we'll figure it out together if needed.

Hm, so would this be akin to the coconut butter recipes floating around the net where you basically blend the hell out of some unsweetened coconut until it becomes a thick, tasty paste?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:51 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

you people. no pictures? honestly.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bekki wrote:
celine wrote:
Kelvia wrote:

Hm, so would this be akin to the coconut butter recipes floating around the net where you basically blend the hell out of some unsweetened coconut until it becomes a thick, tasty paste?

Pretty much, yeah. I found a photo of what's inside the box of creamed coconut here, if it helps a little: http://yourhealthista.com/post/53573896 ... ed-coconut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Liz_D wrote:
I think the Bulgur Hummus Wraps will pay for the book just by the money I'll save making them myself instead of getting the lentil one at TJ's. Such a simple wrap but I couldn't figure it out myself. I love how the bulgur is just soaked, not cooked.

The Peanut Butter Banana Bacon sandwich horrifies/intrigues me, so I'll probably make that soon. And the Green Monster Bread.

It horrified me so much I didn't make it in testing, but I made it for lunch over the weekend. The bacon is very calm in the sandwich, so it's basically PB and banana
with just a tantalising hint of savouriness.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My copy arrived last night and I'm so, so impressed with this. Sandwiches aren't really a 'thing' here either, so I was skeptical about why I would want a sandwich cookbook, but Boyfriend loved American sandwiches when we were in the US so I pretty much just got this for him. I've clearly been missing out, because I was getting super excited flipping through the recipes! I think the meatball sub will be first, at Boyfriend's request, but he was pretty keen (a massive understatement) on the onion ring one too. As for me, I'm being a huge hippie and I'm going to make the green monster bread and those green rolls with guacamole and sprouts on the weekend.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think for the Cutlets alone the book is worth it. (and I didn't even get to make gobbler slices or mushroom tomato.. that one kinda perplezes me).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the muffuletta last week and it was great. The giardiniera had just the right amount of spice, and I ended up wishing I'd more than doubled the recipe. I have a ton of gobbler and sundried tomato slices left over and I'm looking forward to using them in quick lunch sandwiches.

I got some pav bhaji masala today and am going to tackle that next!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

My copy came. I wasn't super excited on the first flip through, but more recipes caught my eye the second time around. I think I will try my hand at the gobbler slices this weekend and possibly the mushroom and tomato slices too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm making this Russian reuben thing and just realized I don't have any horseradish. It calls for 1 tbsp + 1 tsp. Anyone think it would be too weird to replace with wasabi? Or whole grain mustard? HALP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
I'm making this Russian reuben thing and just realized I don't have any horseradish. It calls for 1 tbsp + 1 tsp. Anyone think it would be too weird to replace with wasabi? Or whole grain mustard? HALP.

Wellllllllll, I used the whole grain mustard and it was awesome. BUT, the "spread" turned out super liquidy. Like, I had to add double the amount of sour cream it called for, and it was still so runny that I ended up adding a bunch of vegan mayo. It still wasn't spreadable, but it was thick enough to pour onto the sandwich without making a mess. Any testers have this issue? I can't imagine the mustard sub for horseradish would make such a huge difference.

The sandwich was still killer, even with that little problem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

daisysunshine wrote:
I think for the Cutlets alone the book is worth it. (and I didn't even get to make gobbler slices or mushroom tomato.. that one kinda perplezes me).

The gobbler slices are really good! I made that before the book came out, when the recipe was posted on Vegan Appetite.

http://www.veganappetite.com/2011/10/go ... lices.html

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dr. Apricot wrote:
I made the Hot Brown today and was disappointed. The sauce just tasted like coconut and mustard--not the most appetizing combo!
I guess I didn't pick the best place to start.

I made this one last night for my first try, as well. http://www.gramfeed.com/instagram/26980 ... 6_32408367 I enjoyed the combination, but will admit that I kinda kicked myself for overlooking the note about subbing out some or all of the coconut milk. I did find the taste a little distracting and have quite a bit of leftovers....hopefully it's mellowed out a bit. It reminded me of a coconut alfredo I made years and years ago from vegweb. My girlfriend - who I was hoping would be into this because she likes smokey tofu and broccolini - was sadly not a fan at all.

Next up, making the mushroom tomato and gobbler seitans. I'm particularly excited for the mushroom tomato because my go-to sandwiches around Portland nearly always include that and plenty of Vegenaise. Stoked! I just have a few ingredients to pick up first, like the tapioca stuff and a couple of spices I'm low on.

Edited to add: Celine and Tami: would it be do-able to sub tapioca starch for the instant tapioca? A quick google search tells me yes, and I happen to have a big bag at home - just curious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I used tapioca starch when I made the gobbler slices and the seitan turned out great - very tender and moist.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been out for the day.

Yes, you can sub the tapioca starch. I happen to really like the texture that the mini pearls (like in Minute) bring to the slices because they are a bit more pronounced. But yes, absolutely you can sub.

Jess (and Dr. A), I'm sorry you didn't like the Hot Browns, and yes, subbing can make all the difference.

I don't mean to butt in on the request for tester feedback, but I checked our tester board to see if others had issues with the sauce for the Russian. One person had problems with it, but not the others.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thank you ,Tami! For the record, overall, I did enjoy them (and I'm about to have some leftover broccolini heated up with the sauce for lunch, while I marinade the tempeh bacon for later)!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next