| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are your talking points to omnis?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have been getting tons of questions about if I'm going to raise my baby as a vegan. I'm really getting sick of explaining why and how, and I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone, but I would like a concise answer in my pocket for when it comes up.

So ppk parents, what do you say when omnis ask you about raising your kid vegan? When you are being polite and not having a long discussion about it?

Post subject: Re: What are your talking points to omnis?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We say that we'll feed our daughter the same things we eat, just like every other family does.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 am 
Semen Strong

I like moooo's answer!

Because Brett isn't vegan, people will ask if she eats his food as well, so we say that we believe that a vegan diet is the healthiest thing for her at this point. Then we try and change the subject.

I can be rude though. One of Brett's friends was saying that he'd be scared to feed his kid a vegan diet and I replied that we are all doing what is best for our kids. I then said I'd be scared to feed my kids dead animals, preservatives and soda, so clearly we all have different ideas of what is appropriate. The last sentence was kind of bisque-y...

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
I then said I'd be scared to feed my kids dead animals, preservatives and soda, so clearly we all have different ideas of what is appropriate.

I want to kiss you for this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am 
Nooch of Earl

Give them cookies. It's hard for people to ask annoying questions when their mouths are stuffed with delicious vegan cookies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Butternut wrote:
I have been getting tons of questions about if I'm going to raise my baby as a vegan. I'm really getting sick of explaining why and how, and I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone, but I would like a concise answer in my pocket for when it comes up.

So ppk parents, what do you say when omnis ask you about raising your kid vegan? When you are being polite and not having a long discussion about it?

I'm not a parent, but my answer still stands: I don't engage in those dialogues. Period. I would say something like we eat a varied diet of healthy, tasty foods and change the subject.

The problem is concise answers usually still end up with you defending. Why bother?

If they really want to know, they will ask intelligent questions like what you feed for specific meals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im terrified for when people start asking me this question.
right now only a very small handful of people know im pregnant. actually if my husband hasnt told anyone then it's only 2 other people who know.

im pretty sure i wont be able to stop the word vomit that comes out of my mouth if someone asks me this in anything less than a purely interested and curious manner.

if you have people who are just generally interested/concerned and not being shitheads you can say how healthy a vegan diet is. i recommend reading Vegan for Life or Your Vegetarian Pregnancy. both books are chockful of nutritional information, where you get your nutrition from, and how for the most part plants are a better source of almost everything.

meat and dairy has waaaaayyyy more pesticides in it than plants that we consume (unless you dont wash them then im not sure what the difference would be)
plus all the other crepe forcefed into abused animals. antibiotics, hormones, drugs, etc. then the toxins and bacteria and crepe.

if people are just being shitheads i honestly would just change the conversation. moooo has a good one about feeding your kids the same thing you eat like everyone else.

like lavawitch ive learned not to engage in those conversations unless i feel the person is being genuine.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I generally just talk about the how instead of the why. Maybe this isn't relevant because you plan on doing it differently, but my husband is omni and we are planning on vegan to start and then letting him have other stuff if he asks for it (when he's older). I mean, I am not going to make him a steak, but if dad is eating eggs and he wants eggs, then I won't stop him. At least that's the plan. We'll see how it goes later. I think it is a valid question, especially as a lot us aren't in full vegan families. I don't mind being asked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annak wrote:
Give them cookies. It's hard for people to ask annoying questions when their mouths are stuffed with delicious vegan cookies.

+1 Yummy!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mooo wrote:
We say that we'll feed our daughter the same things we eat, just like every other family does.

Yeah, this is what I have been saying, too. It seems so weird that people would assume that we wouldn't eat the same things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:33 am 
***LIES!!!***

Sort of amazingly this has barely come up for us. My strategies:

a) what mooo said - parents feed their kids what they eat, duh.
b) This vegan body made this beautiful, healthy baby (and in your case, this vegan body sustained this healthy baby through breast milk alone for X months)
c) Vegans raising their kids to eat meat/dairy/eggs is like Christians raising their kids to be Satanists. Veganism is a moral conviction (for me anyway); I wouldn't raise my kids to act in a way that contradicted my morals. I shouldn't get any more shiitake about that than if I was raising the kid just kosher.
d) I would never engage in proving veganism is healthy for kids. I don't need to prove that to anybody but myself and I'm obviously adequately convinced. I don't ask meat-eaters to prove their diet is healthy for their kids and it's simply offensive that they ask me. And I would tell them so.

ETA: when this has actually come up I've used C the most (I say it in a pretty polite way) - it totally shuts down the conversation and is also helpful in clarifying what veganism means to me to other people, since most people think it's just about diet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

We'll be raising the kiddo vegetarian (we're meeting in the middle -- I'm vegan, husband's omni) and I expect we'll get some questions. I will basically stick with "That's what we decided was best!" and a subject change unless someone seems legitimately curious. I've had friends ask questions about my being vegan while pregnant -- not in a rude way, more just wondering how it works -- and it's been fine. So I trust my friends to not be fools, but not strangers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kind of off topic, but kind of funny. Grey is vegetarian and this last weekend we were out of town on a mountain biking trip and I mentioned that he was vegetarian. The next morning we were eating breakfast with this guy and I said that Grey handset been eating well on the trip and he said that we needed to get him on the paleo diet. My response was that I wanted my baby to live to be more than 35.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

Butternut wrote:
mooo wrote:

Yeah, this is what I have been saying, too. It seems so weird that people would assume that we wouldn't eat the same things.

We were asked that by our weird local doctor's surgery -- they know I'm vegan and think my veggie husband is (he's close enough). They asked if we were going to give the kids dairy milk or cheese and I was all, "well, we could, but we're not going to -- doesn't that seem a bit weird, buying cheese and milk for the kids when we don't eat it?"
And they all had that, "huh." kind of confused look, like it had totally never occurred to them that it might be weird to buy milk when you don't drink it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Butternut wrote:

Not a parent yet, but I already know my answer: My child is vegan because I choose it.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]