| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: doc martens vs vegetarian shoes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

hey all! i'm looking into buying new boots for the fall/winter, and have pared it down between the "8 eye vegan boot" by doc marten and the "boulder boot" by vegetarian shoes. the two seem pretty much identical to me except for the price tag. does anyone own either of them and have any specific feelings either way? i'm looking for something comfortable (or easily worn-in to be comfortable) that i can wear every day and that will survive the typical new england winter. thank you!!

(formerly known as wintermitts)

Post subject: Re: doc martens vs vegetarian shoes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

both links bring you to moo shoes, you're missing the DM linkage.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:48 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

thanks for the heads up, kittee! alternate links: dr martens, veg shoes

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i have the veg shoes and they're comfy! i know there was a time when people complained about them not being so, but i got them right before i tromped around ireland for a couple of weeks and had zero issues. also, a few years later (with moderate wear, at the most), they're in great shape still.

hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have the Vegetarian Shoes boulder boots as well as a pair of Dr. Marten vegan oxfords. Comparing those two, the fake leather on the Dr. Martens is a lot nicer. The fake leather on my Veg Shoes creases kind of weirdly. The Dr. Martens are also a bit more comfortable (but not by much and that might be related to the difference in styles). Both are nice and neither is at all uncomfortable, but I would probably go for the Dr. Martens, although I guess there's also the issue of whether to support a fully vegan company or to encourage a non-vegan company to produce more vegan options...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
I have the Vegetarian Shoes boulder boots as well as a pair of Dr. Marten vegan oxfords. Comparing those two, the fake leather on the Dr. Martens is a lot nicer. The fake leather on my Veg Shoes creases kind of weirdly. The Dr. Martens are also a bit more comfortable (but not by much and that might be related to the difference in styles). Both are nice and neither is at all uncomfortable, but I would probably go for the Dr. Martens, although I guess there's also the issue of whether to support a fully vegan company or to encourage a non-vegan company to produce more vegan options...

How long did your vegan Doc oxfords take to break in? I got the t-strap mary janes from them and wore them a few times, but they're tearing up my ankles, even with those gel heel liner stickies in them. I'm determined to break them in, but I'm hoping it won't take too long, because moleskin is expensive.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't have both, but I'm a big fan of the docs. I got mine right after the vegan ones were released, and they're comfortable and holding up really well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

jessilikewhoa wrote:
kohlrabenschwarz wrote:

How long did your vegan Doc oxfords take to break in? I got the t-strap mary janes from them and wore them a few times, but they're tearing up my ankles, even with those gel heel liner stickies in them. I'm determined to break them in, but I'm hoping it won't take too long, because moleskin is expensive.

I didn't really have to break them in at all. They were comfy from the start. I did make sure to wear thicker socks with them when I first got them, though. If you're not wearing socks with the maryjanes, that might be the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
I didn't really have to break them in at all. They were comfy from the start.

ditto.

but i also have a pair of the pewter vegan docs and they, too, were super comfy right from the get-go. those are the reason i wear the VSes less frequently. SHINY BOOTS!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Socks it is. Thanks!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:07 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

i had an older pair of the Veg Shoes Para boots and they were pretty bad honestly. the tounges slipped off to the side constantly (i cut them out eventually) and they were never very comfortable. hopefully the boulder and other newer types are better.

got a pair of the cherry red Docs last year and they needed almost no breaking in and are very comfortable. i like them a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

another note that in a pair of veg shoes i got, they immediately got this weird wear crease across the toe box. i also noticed a small tear where the upper met the sole. i don't wear these shoes too often, so i was really disappointed.