| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which is worse...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

My husband and I are in a bit of a pickle and we don't have the experience to make an educated decision, so I'm hoping you guys can weigh in with your usual brilliance. The lease on my current apartment expires the same day that my baby is due. We just received a notice from our landlord that our rent will be going up $600 per month (which is both ridiculous and out of our budget). My husband was able to convince the landlord to give us a 3 month reprieve on the rent increase, but it only delays our inevitable move-out.

My question is, which would be worse:

1. moving 2 weeks before my due date; or
2. moving with a 3 month old baby

Post subject: Re: Which is worse...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Ugh. I moved with a 6 month old. Not fun. I'd say before because you may be able to catch up on sleep. Either way not a fun situation to be in. I suppose it could've been worse but packing in small bursts is NOT easy. Lack of sleep and raging hormones do not make for a happy mommy. Plus packing? Yuck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

realistically your husband is going to have to do all the moving stuff (ie lifting and carrying) himself so either way you probably wont be able to help much.
if your 2 weeks before your due date you're certainly not going to be lifting stuff and if you have a 3 month old you will probably be occupied with that unless you have relatives who can watch the baby while you move.

if you can find another place to live and have everything all set in time i would vote for 2 weeks before. then you can at least help a little. you wont be able to lift/carry things but you can help unpack and organize i would think. and you could carry smaller items.

having a three month old i would think would add a lot of stress to the process.

good luck! i cant even believe they raised rent $600 a month. that is a ridiculous increase! im so sorry you have to go through this!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think it would be worse to move right before your due date. Moving with a 3 month old is doable, in my experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:33 pm 
Semen Strong

I'd take the extension and look - extra time never hurt anyone, especially if you have a tight budget or other constraints. That way, you're lessening the risk of being forced to take a place you don't like. The timing would be less important to me than finding a nice place to move to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The hard part is you don't know what kind of baby you will have. Some of my friends have babies that are cool to sit back and relax and watch you do things. If you have this baby packing won't be too bad and neither will be moving. I have a baby that need to be held 24/7 and would scream nonstop when I wasn't holding him, so to me, moving before is much, much better. Either way, pack as much as you can now. I mean everything you won't absolutely need.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I moved about a month and a half before the Emperor was born. It wasn't so bad. I packed a little every day and had help with the heavy lifting.

Wouldn't have wanted to try to move with him at 3 months, but we were first time parents and he was a rough baby. My second son was sweet and mellow and moving with him at 3 months would have been fine.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Also, re heavy lifting, it's also hard to say where you'll be. I didn't mind lifting heavy stuff while pregnant with my first, and I carried said first around til the day #2 was born. It's awkward with a big belly but not impossible. (Furniture you will almost definitely want help with though.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I would have died moving with a 3-month-old. And I was carrying boxes up and down stairs every day at work till the day I delivered. I don't think I'd have wanted to carry huge boxes because of the belly, but not because I felt I couldn't or that it was dangerous or anything.

Tofulish has a good point about making sure you can find a good place, but I don't know what the market is like in your area. I've been looking for a new place to live for over a year and haven't found anything that is in our budget and livable, but my sister just bought a house in Nevada after looking for like a month. You never know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

The potential problem I see with planning to move 2 weeks before your due date is that you could go into labor early. At least if you wait until the baby's born you know that pesky things like labor and delivery aren't going to get in the way of your moving plans. Plus, as Tofulish pointed out, more time to look for a place. However... I have never moved with a baby so...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 pm 
Chip Strong

Yeah, I wouldn't have had a problem lifting things shortly before my due date, but I went into labor at a little over 38 weeks, so that would have been a bit of a problem!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I moved two weeks before my due date. It sucked, but I would still probably take that option over moving with a tiny baby. There is the threat of early labor to add to your stress, but for myself I felt like it was pretty unlikely that I'd pop on that one particular day (and if I did we'd just have to deal). In the end, my baby ended up coming almost two weeks late. Convenient!

I moved heavy boxes, cleaned the old house and the new one top to bottom, ran a heavy and awkward rug shampooing machine, etc. - everyone's different and you might be able to help more than you'd think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

either way, start packing now... you can get a lot of the work out of the way now, and hire movers for the heavy stuff. i'd probably choose to move at 2 weeks before, as you don't know how your labour and recovery will be, or what kind of sleep dep you'll be dealing with.

i'd also look into your tenant rights, as i believe it's illegal almost everywhere to jack up the rent that much in one year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'd move before the due date. I'm sure it will suck, but it will still probably be easier than moving with a young baby.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

littlebird wrote:
either way, start packing now... you can get a lot of the work out of the way now..... i'd probably choose to move at 2 weeks before, as you don't know how your labour and recovery will be, or what kind of sleep dep you'll be dealing with.

i'd also look into your tenant rights, as i believe it's illegal almost everywhere to jack up the rent that much in one year.

+1 yummy to all of this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

If you have a place already picked out I would move before the due date as well. I moved about 1 month before my due date and was able to pack and carry the small items and organize and sort at the new place. Now with a baby (even though he is very good!) I would have so much trouble because he either needs attention or he is sleeping and needs quiet - plus if you are a schedule sort of person a move would totally jack up a sleeping schedule I would imagine...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks everyone. Sadly, the rent increase isn't illegal provided that they give us 60 days notice. (The original notice was too short, but now that they've given us the extra 3 months, they aren't violating any law I can find.) The truly ridiculous thing is that there is no way they can rent to a new tenant at the rate they are trying to get us to pay -- no one looking in that price range would settle for our building. My husband is going to take a look at some apartment listings today to get a sense of what's available in our price range, but we're still completely undecided about whether to move now or later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

bcakes wrote:
Thanks everyone. Sadly, the rent increase isn't illegal provided that they give us 60 days notice. (The original notice was too short, but now that they've given us the extra 3 months, they aren't violating any law I can find.) The truly ridiculous thing is that there is no way they can rent to a new tenant at the rate they are trying to get us to pay -- no one looking in that price range would settle for our building. My husband is going to take a look at some apartment listings today to get a sense of what's available in our price range, but we're still completely undecided about whether to move now or later.

Are they trying to get rid of tenants so they can go condo or something?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If I moved 2 weeks before my due date, I would have been moving w/a 1 week old! 3 months seems much more doable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kimba wrote:
If I moved 2 weeks before my due date, I would have been moving w/a 1 week old! 3 months seems much more doable.

Yeah, me too! (For my first anyway.) I'd rather not have the stress of my labour potentially coinciding with moving. Either way, start packing anything and everything you can right away. Pare down each room - especially the kitchen! I always find I have so many more random things in there to pack up at the last minute, so it's helpful to cut that down a bit in advance. If you can, hire someone to do the moving, Expensive but so much easier. Good luck on a smooth moving day!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 pm 
Nooch of Earl

kimba wrote:

Good point - I would've been in early labor!

I know people who've done moves within the last month of pregnancy and shortly after birth. I would have been really frustrated trying to unpack while having a newborn around, and there would have been no way I could get a house unpacked and how I wanted to within 2 weeks of when the baby was born. Assume that right after the birth you just won't have time for anything besides sitting. Counterintuitive but true!

Granted, we have nearly 18,000 lbs of crepe. If you have less stuff, maybe your unpacking is less painful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

haha, actually, yeah, that's a good point. if i'd moved at 38 weeks pregnant, i'd have been moving with a 3 week old that had only been out of the hospital for one week. maybe it would be better to aim for 3 months. i'd still try to get ALL the things packed before baby arrives and be super minimal. lots of take-out and disposable stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 pm 
Semen Strong

If your due date is October 10, then do you think you can find a place and move for Sept 15 or is that cutting it too close. And definitely talk to a housing rights clinic about contesting the termination. It is generally a time-consuming and annoying process to get someone evicted, so you could in theory, just refuse to leave at 3 months and maybe do a month to month situation, though that may have its own stresses.

I am sending you tons of good thoughts. We had to pack up all our things when I was 8 months pregnant because we were having our floor sanded and 5 days of being out of our house and away from the comforts of my home made me completely batty. I hope that things go smoothly and easily for you and that you can make the transition not suck. There has to be a special circle of hell for people who would make someone move in late pregnancy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks again. I think we're sold on staying put for 3 months and then moving. All the tales of early babies have convinced me that it's too risky to move so close to my due date. My husband was born a month early, so baby might take after his Dad.

I'm going to take your advice to start on packing now, though. This weekend we are going to go through our stuff and get rid of garbage and items we can donate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

your due date is a 90% likelihood of giving birth 3 weeks before to 2 weeks after that date. 2 weeks before your due date IS a realistic due date. I think staying for 3 months is undoubtedly the right choice. I'm moving to Iceland when my as-of-now-still-a-fetus-I-can't-believe-I-am-still-pregnant will be 4 months old.