| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I hate wasted food, but I also wouldn't eat those cashews. Compost them and start again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I should have asked you guys before I ate it: Bread with Earth Balance that had been out for a day. This wouldn't have been so bad except I forgot I had left it in my car. I didn't finish eating it because I could tell it was rancid. Now just waiting to see what my body does with it. My mouth is full of ick and I feel a little nauseous. Yuck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Well, as you're pretty unanimous I guess I'm going to toss those cashews! :( Thanks for the advice and I'll remember the freezer tip!!! Hadn't thought of that myself...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:43 am 
Tofu Pup

I also would eat this .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

8ball wrote:
If I left a glass of juice out overnight and a fly drowned in it, but I fished it's corpse out and made sure there are no legs etc in the glass, can I drink it?

I guess it's the same as wondering if you can eat veggies even if they've been stewing in a meat dish. (In other words, I don't think it'd be vegan.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

veganspider wrote:
8ball wrote:
If I left a glass of juice out overnight and a fly drowned in it, but I fished it's corpse out and made sure there are no legs etc in the glass, can I drink it?

I guess it's the same as wondering if you can eat veggies even if they've been stewing in a meat dish. (In other words, I don't think it'd be vegan.)

Considering there are bug bits in most flours/grains/canned foods I wouldn't worry about it. I fish fruit flies out of my wine frequently these days.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I don't think accidental bug consumption or bug marination counts as non-vegan. Still, I wouldn't drink a glass of anything I left out overnight except for water or alcohol (hate to waste alcohol, have been known to finish bottles of beer the morning after parties).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Trader Joe's/Wildwood High Protein Tofu, vacuum packed...labeled enjoy by 8/10/12. So...8 days late? It looks fine. It's been in the "Chill Drawer" of the fridge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

karichelle wrote:
Trader Joe's/Wildwood High Protein Tofu, vacuum packed...labeled enjoy by 8/10/12. So...8 days late? It looks fine. It's been in the "Chill Drawer" of the fridge.

If you were here it would mean enjoy by 8th October so part of me says.... be wild! But then after hearing how sick people have been after gone off tofu I say bin it. Or else leave it in the fridge for a few months to see what happens to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I totally just registered to this forum to ask this question. Hi everyone!
I have a half-used jar of marinara sauce in my fridge that's been chilling in there for two weeks. Edible, or will it give me the squirts? It's not, like, Barilla or one of those other mass produced kinds that might have preservatives in it. It's locally made. That sounded snobby. But it's an important detail!

THANK YOU. I have food poisoning PTSD and I'm afraid of it ever happening again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh great username. In brief, no effing way. have you opened it? i bet it smells like a bloody mary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just had a slice of uncooked tofu (vacuum packed, bought today at the asian grocery store, "use by"-date is sept 14th) and it had a slightly acidic taste, a bit vinegar-y, and also tickled on my tounge for a second. No off smell (no smell at all, really), the water it was in was nice and clear.
I don't think I've had this brand before, other than marinated in a very spicy chili sauce we make at a cafe I volunteer at, so I can't say wheather this is the standard taste for this particular brand.

Do you think it's bad?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SkafferiAlkemi wrote:
Just had a slice of uncooked tofu (vacuum packed, bought today at the asian grocery store, "use by"-date is sept 14th) and it had a slightly acidic taste, a bit vinegar-y, and also tickled on my tounge for a second. No off smell (no smell at all, really), the water it was in was nice and clear.
I don't think I've had this brand before, other than marinated in a very spicy chili sauce we make at a cafe I volunteer at, so I can't say wheather this is the standard taste for this particular brand.

Do you think it's bad?

YES. It shouldn't taste acidic or vinegar-y at all!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

torque wrote:
ooh great username. In brief, no effing way. have you opened it? i bet it smells like a bloody mary.

I did open it! It smelled ok and wasn't covered in fuzzies. But your reaction of "no effing way" makes me think I should stop being a cheapass and find something else to eat for dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have eaten way too many jars of tomatosauce/rot that seemed cool til it was en route to my belly. Resist, resist!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Bananastand wrote:
torque wrote:

I did open it! It smelled ok and wasn't covered in fuzzies. But your reaction of "no effing way" makes me think I should stop being a cheapass and find something else to eat for dinner.

If it smells good and isn't fuzzy then I think it would be fine. I'm going to admit to eating jar pasta sauce that is that old, and I don't remember getting sick at all. But mine wasn't fresh or locally made. Go at your own risk!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Bananastand wrote:
torque wrote:

I'm probably more permissive in what expired food I'll eat than most, but I would say taste it. If it's gone bad you'll know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:37 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, I'm with Olives. I'd probably eat it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

SkafferiAlkemi wrote:

The tongue tickling is the tiny bugs on the tofu running off of it into your mouth.

You're probably already infested. Any itches you feel might be the bugs that now populate the outer layers of your skin burrowing inwards past your nerves. Once they reach your muscles your muscle fibers will clench and you will be paralyzed in an immoble rictus as the tiny bugs devour your body from the inside out. And that's why expired tofu is bad.

Spoiler: show
I made all that up, but I still wouldn't eat it. I bet you're all itchy now though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Bananastand wrote:
torque wrote:

Eww. I hope you didn't eat it. 1 week is my limit for most perishable foodstuffs. Stilltasty.com says 7-10 days. http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18362

When something is weeks old, the other issue is how sure are you about the date? If it's more than a week, I usually can't remember. 2 weeks is iffy, but 1 month would be downright disgusting. You can't see, smell, or taste pathogenic bacterial growth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:47 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Soaked mung beans over night... Now they smell like sulfur and the soaking water is bubbly... I'm guessing they fermented? To cook or not to cook? The smell is STRONG.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

indexandicon wrote:
Soaked mung beans over night... Now they smell like sulfur and the soaking water is bubbly... I'm guessing they fermented? To cook or not to cook? The smell is STRONG.

Hmm, I think I'd skip them!

How about frozen mandu (ie Korean dumplings) that have been in the freezer for about 8 months? I know they won't have gone bad, but will they be super gross?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i would eat the dumplings if they haven't thawed. How bad could they be?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

bodhi wrote:
How about frozen mandu (ie Korean dumplings) that have been in the freezer for about 8 months? I know they won't have gone bad, but will they be super gross?

Depends how good your freezer is about freezer burn. I would probably try them, but have a back up plan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:58 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The Diyia package instructs one to use within 7 days of opening. How strict is that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next