| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 985 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-New Official Tattoo thread!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Whoa, sisterlegume, I have blackberries and a bumblebee in the exact same spot! Mine has color, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

vijita wrote:
sisterlegume wrote:

Aron Dubois, at Scapegoat in Portland, drew it up for me.
http://arondubois.tumblr.com/

Gorgeous! I love it. Even though it has scary NW bees in it that try to kill me. :)

Aw, thanks!
When bees get to close to me I do generally get nervous. The last time I was stung my hand swelled up like a blown up rubber glove, and I hear that sometimes allergies develop as you age. But I still appreciate them! Bees that is, not being stung at all.

mooo wrote:
Whoa, sisterlegume, I have blackberries and a bumblebee in the exact same spot! Mine has color, though.

Matching tattoo brains! I considered color!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am 
Chard Martyr

sisterlegume wrote:
When bees get to close to me I do generally get nervous. The last time I was stung my hand swelled up like a blown up rubber glove, and I hear that sometimes allergies develop as you age. But I still appreciate them! Bees that is, not being stung at all.

mooo wrote:

Matching tattoo brains! I considered color!

You can always get it coloured if you change your mind!

It was so weird to find out I was allergic to bee stings. I had no allergies previously! Now I'm so scared of them because a $75 epipen is not something I hope to get into the habit of buying, though I work on a farm and we have tons of bees pollinating the orchard. Hate/love relationship. Maybe if I got a bee tattoo they'd leave me alone. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

A tribute to the bees! I hope they leave you alone regardless. I wish they could tell that you're vegan and nice and wouldn't hurt them. So many people use epipens and they're still $75 a pop? Yikes!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have this dream of getting a tattoo of compiled various turn-of-the-century (20th) illustrators' illustrations. Harry Clarke (Poe), Winsor McCay (Little Nemo in Slumberland), W.W. Denslow (Wizard of Oz), etc. Not sure how far off in the future it'd be, but thinking about it. I don't even know where I'd want it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:32 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I got a 7 seeded strawberry yesterday...nice bright colors but the experience sucked. :( Sometimes it is all about the experience...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

That's pretty! So vivid. Why 7 seeds, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what happened experience wise? Mean tattooist? Weird music?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 am 
So Totally Yiffy

This was a two session piece, which was finished a couple months back. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

7 seeds = 7 year age difference between my boyfriend - almost 7 years together - 7 lucky number!

The artist said his rate is $80 an hour (I know affordable - esp. for a nice new clean gallery/studio). I set my appointment, give him a $30 deposit (the only cash I had on me) and came back in two weeks. First off he was so rough...I just got done shaving my legs but he did my ankle again so fast and rough I thought I would get nicked. Then he was so heavy handed - with the needle and when he would use a paper towel I felt as though he was trying to take a layer of skin off of me. :( I was going to speak up but there was a weird vibe that if I did he might have just hurt me more...He was done within 50 minutes and I brought the $ that would equal the rest of the money for a hour owed and a tip...well he said he wanted $100! I was like huh??? I had to go to the bank and get more money.

I want to Yelp review but I want to see how it heals first before I might have to go back. My boyfriend was with me and he was pissed, I felt drained and wanted to get on with my day. I never know how to speak up in these situations.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have been planning this for forever. But money was always a problem. And then my artist said she would do it for cupcakes.
It is on my lower back.

Because I would be totally trampy on the Enterprise.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

on my hip!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 pm 

That's awesome Fupapack.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:19 am 

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

What did folks get as their first tattoos, and where'd the inspiration come from?

I'm currently inkless, but I've had some ideas bouncing around in my head recently... they're all over the place though. I also don't have much money at the moment, but maybe that's ideal because then I can think of something and see if I still like it when I'm richer.

I love spiders; I think they're absolutely marvelous, so maybe a realistic looking one crawling on my arm, or hanging from its web. OR, maybe a nice picture of Pegasus. Or on the more meaningful side, maybe something expressing the idea of perseverance and never giving up; Apparently koi fish convey that, but looking online that appears to be pretty common so something else would be better. I could vary the theme and get a Magikarp or Gyarados.. A pokemon tattoo MIGHT be silly, though.

I love astronomy and am currently working on my PhD. I could get something astronomical, like the crab nebula, or the orion nebula, or eta carinae... or maybe a tattoo depicting the local group, though it couldn't be to scale because my body isn't big enough. Actually that would be too busy looking anyway.

This turned into a stream of consciousness with no direction. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

As someone with a hated (first) tattoo and two loved subsequent tattoos the best advice I can give is that it should feel like it's already there and just waiting to be unearthed. That's how my latter two felt and I love them and everyone who sees them loves them. The first was a rash decision made at 20 that I am now having removed--which is about as unfun as being kicked in the teeth and paying for the pleasure of it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:37 pm 

I started writing down my tattoo ideas when I was about 15 and still go through and add and delete things. When I was 18 I got the realistic looking stars on my wrists because I'd wanted that for several years and they meant a lot to me. And now almost ten years later I still love them and am going to incorporate one of them into a sleeve with other astronomical images (the ring nebula for one and possible the orion nebula as well). Start keeping track of your ideas and see which ones mean the most to you. I have no regrets about any of the tattoos I have because I spent a lot of time thinking about them first.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:40 am 

I can't wait for my first tattoo. I'm hoping to get it maybe after my birthday (next month :D) or maybe after the leftover financial aid money comes in. There are so many ideas that I have! But in my mind, every idea has its own place on my body already, and nothing overlaps. So that's good.

My dream tattoo? I want a dark mark (HP lover here) on my left forearm. I designed one that I think looks pretty awesome but we'll see what the artist thinks.

And a question: I've got scarring on my left forearm. The scars are about 5-6 years old. Would that be an issue?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:02 am 

I tried using the search function but didn't find anything. What your go to salve for healing your tattoos?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fupapack, I use Aquaphor. I've only had a tiny little tattoo, but it worked well enough!

I'm getting my second one this weekend. I've known for 6 months I've wanted another, but it took me a little longer to come too exactly what I wanted to have it say. I wanted it to be related to what I'm struggling with but also be positive. I ended up figuring out that I want the phrase "You are enough" on my upper arm. Still not sure about the font or whatever. Something flow-y most likely.

I sat for a year on my first idea, which went through several different designs before settling on the very simple end design, which is the AT design by itself on my wrist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

fupa, I use Lush's Ultrabalm. It works great and heals me up real quick like.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

After seeing my sister's awesome tattoo, now I want to expand mine. It's 14 years old and the color is not visible anymore, plus it's kinda small. It's a flower with vines so I guess expanding on that basis shouldn't be difficult. Can old tattoos be made to look fresher? I wouldn't want the addition and the old part to look totally different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am 

aquaphor has lanolin.

i've used a variety of things, for my boar i used coconut oil. i don't think that it is a very good healing agent as it lacks the viscosity of better balms. black cat is vegan and i've used that before and liked it. i am curious about the merry hempster or dr. bronner's has anyone used that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It does?!? Merde. I think I tried a quick google search and it didn't seem non vegan to me at the time. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am 

Oh well, lesson learned! Now we can explore other things to heal tattoos with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I use this Hypericum and Calendula Cream. It's really good, almost everyone I know with tattoos uses it now. I buy it at the health food store, maybe there's something similar in the US?

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 985 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 40  Next