| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My favorite sports bras are Moving Comfort. I'm a 34DD. I prefer the Fiona but they have a lot of different ones, including some underwire styles if you like that sort of thing in a sports bra (I don't). Enell also comes in a lot of large cup sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Week 7 Day 1! Done!

I kind of hated it, haha. It was all mental though. There was a point near the end where I thought about knocking off early ("Hey I ran 20 minutes already, that's pretty good...") but I just said to myself, you know, I've felt worse doing much less. Don't be pathetic.

I was tired, all day yesterday and this morning, and didn't want to go. But Mr. Spork brought our gym bags in, so I packed mine. And he got up on time, so I did too. And once I was running, I was like "...well, I GUESS I'LL DO THIS THEN." I had to slow down for the second half of the 25 minutes, but I finished the whole damn thing. WOO.

The middle was easy though. It's so weird for me still. To have that moment where I'm not concentrating intently on every little part of my body and what it has to be doing, not pep talking myself through suckiness. Sometimes I just run. IT'S PRETTY WEIRD YOU GUYS!!

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

So I just started this. I've never had any stamina for running, so I'm hoping it'll work! Today was either week 1 day 1 or week 1 day 2. I did day 1 last week, and then rain and work got in my way, so there was a big gap before I was able to go again. I guess I'll just have to see when I feel ready for week 2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

You can do it, kohlraben! I never had stamina for running either, yet I ran for 25 minutes today. CRAZY! Couch to 5k is MAGIC.

I like your "see when I feel ready" plan. That's what I did - if I couldn't do a particular week at all (had to skip most or all of a run segment, for example if I was supposed to run for 8 minutes and only could do 4 or something) I'd repeat a week. If I felt like "that was hard, but okay" I'd go ahead and try the next week. If say day 1 of the new week was too hard I'd go back to the old week.

I only have had to repeat once so far!! I did an extra week 3 run, because I'd missed a week in between.

I did Week 7 Day 2 today! I had to push to get through the last 5 minutes but I wasn't as tired or "Don't Wanna" as Monday, so that was nice.

I've officially registered for my first 5k. EEP! I still have plenty of time to train, even once I finish weeks 8 and 9, but I'm still nervous. Not enough time for AS MUCH training as I'd like. I would like to, say, LOSE 100 POUNDS FIRST. hahaha. I'll probably end up walking some of it, but as long as I finish I don't care.

My dad wants to come. Awww. You wanna drive SEVEN HOURS to watch me run for just under 1 hour? Ooooookaaaaaay.... it's your party. hahahaha. But still. Cute. aww.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:09 pm 
Ninja Master

Ooh yay Mack!! It IS magic. You're right.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 am 
Nailed to the V

In addition to my morning week 7 run, I did week 1 day 1 with my friend after work. She was terrified and I kept telling her week 1 is super doable! So I went along for moral support.

Bonus run! Plus I got to start training outside (necessary, since the race will be outside) AND I got an app for my phone to track the run. Now I have CHARTS and GRAPHS. Fun! It was perfect weather outside, too.

My brother & SIL just started couch to 5k on Monday. Yaaaaaaay!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:07 am 
Ninja Master

I enrolled at my old gym last night, feels good to be back. I did love the gym I was with after this one but it was so damn expensive and a bit snooty. This one I feel more comfortable at.

But I digress.... I get 5 free pt sessions which basically it's not really PT, it's a guy telling you how to use the machines and giving you advice on what cardio to do and then next is weights... blah blah.

So anyway I told him I'm doing C25K and we're working around that. I'm excited to get back into it. I'm hoping my boss lets me leave early today so I can squeeze in a W2 run before body pump. Then I'm starting with W3 next week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 am 
Nailed to the V

Yay, baps! I'm glad you found a place that's comfortable for you. I hope the PT sessions are good! I've been places where it was like they had their "script" they do with new people, and the wouldn't deviate. Sounds good that they're willing to work with what you want to do!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah I liked him. And I was shocked at myself because 10 years ago I would have been moritified going through and induction with a bloke and I definitely wouldn't let one weigh me - in fact I never used to let the girls weigh me either!

Now I'm like fork it, take whatever measurements you want, just please help me feel less of a spaz on the machines! haha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:14 am 
Nailed to the V

hahahaha. I'm getting better too, not caring what people think. I used to be embarrassed, like, "oh people will laugh, they all think I'm too fat to exercise."

Now I'm like - I'm 2x your size and I'm running/lifting weights/whatever... You should be IMPRESSED! Look at me go!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I did W6D1 today. It was seriously unfun. Because of my health, I'm running about once a week at this point, and that simply does not work for building endurance! But I did it and I feel proud of that fact.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am 
Nailed to the V

Way to go, j-dub!! You are awesome for pushing through, especially with health problems on top of things. Sorry it's still really sucking, though. I hope it gets a little easier for you soon!

I should have done week 7 day 3 today but nooooooo my car decided to go kablooey, and everything else too, so I was up until 1am, and then had to get up and get my car in, and now I'm having a First World Problems tantrum about it. Hahahaha.

I'll hopefully do it tomorrow, and then hopefully can still do MWF next week for week 8. We're staying at a hotel Friday, but they probably have a treadmill. I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:50 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for the support, Mack. Sounds like you're doing great!

Today I did Week 2 Day 1. Wasn't bad at all. I'm also feeling less self conscious about running in the presence of other people and doing such short intervals (I run outside on a trail through the woods and there are always other runners, walkers, bike riders, and sometimes even horseback riders). Because I'm relatively thin, I'm afraid they'll think I should be more physically fit than I actually am and wonder why I'm so slow. But fork that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:57 pm 
Dead by dawn

kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
Thanks for the support, Mack. Sounds like you're doing great!

Today I did Week 2 Day 1. Wasn't bad at all. I'm also feeling less self conscious about running in the presence of other people and doing such short intervals (I run outside on a trail through the woods and there are always other runners, walkers, bike riders, and sometimes even horseback riders). Because I'm relatively thin, I'm afraid they'll think I should be more physically fit than I actually am and wonder why I'm so slow. But fork that.

If it's any consolation, the runners anyway aren't concerned with what your workout is. At all. We know that everyone out there running has a different objective for their workout. I could be jealous of someone speeding past me, but it could just be that they have a short speed workout planned for the day whereas I am going longer and slower to meet whatever my goal is that day. I have never passed someone on a run and thought anything negative about what they were doing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 am 
Nailed to the V

I've heard the same! My friend went to get shoes at a running store, and I guess she told them she was nervous because they told her "runners are generally very supportive of each other, it doesn't matter if you're a newbie."

week 7... is DONE. AHHHH. Today was brutal, I felt like I had to push a lot harder than usual, but I got through my 25 minutes. It was probably just mental.

I'm going to forge ahead with week 8 next week. I was thinking about repeating 7, but really 25-28 minutes is not a big jump. If I can't do 28 & end up doing 25 anyway, I'll just repeat attempting week 8 the next time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've just started. I was one of those people at school who had little confidence and fitness for P.E. so generally didn't try very hard or enjoy any of it. I'm hoping C25k will be a challenge that will build my confidence. It already has a bit because I went for my first run by myself and in public! Even doing that was an achievement. It made me laugh because I was the only one running anti clockwise around the park so I kept passing the same people. The 1 minute runs kept kicking in just as I would spot them coming round again so it might have looked like I would just jog for show when people were around then go back to walking.

I've just done 2 days of the first week with a friend. We are aiming to join a 5k run round a local park that happens every Sunday when we can run that far. We are also considering a 5k charity run but its on 14th Oct so we wouldn't have finished the 9 weeks by then. Should we sign up and just walk some of the way? How soon have people done charity runs/races after starting the course?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

indigozo wrote:
I've just started. I was one of those people at school who had little confidence and fitness for P.E. so generally didn't try very hard or enjoy any of it. I'm hoping C25k will be a challenge that will build my confidence. It already has a bit because I went for my first run by myself and in public! Even doing that was an achievement. It made me laugh because I was the only one running anti clockwise around the park so I kept passing the same people. The 1 minute runs kept kicking in just as I would spot them coming round again so it might have looked like I would just jog for show when people were around then go back to walking.

I've just done 2 days of the first week with a friend. We are aiming to join a 5k run round a local park that happens every Sunday when we can run that far. We are also considering a 5k charity run but its on 14th Oct so we wouldn't have finished the 9 weeks by then. Should we sign up and just walk some of the way? How soon have people done charity runs/races after starting the course?

indigozo I was totally that person at school too. I hated P.E class!

Is the park run at Hove Park or Preston Park? I've been thinking of going to that too once I think I can run that far. I almost signed up for the 5k run on October 14th but I think it's a little over ambitious, I'm going on holiday from Sept 21st to Oct 3rd so I can't see myself managing it. I have signed up to run the Rise 8k as a relay with 3 other people from a local feminist group though. It's only 2K each but I think doing that at a reasonable pace (to keep up with the others) is going to be challenging enough!

I'm going to my first outdoor training session for the Rise relay tonight, I wish it wasn't pouring with rain. I've never even run outside before so it's gonna be interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 am 
Nailed to the V

indigozo wrote:
I've just started. I was one of those people at school who had little confidence and fitness for P.E. so generally didn't try very hard or enjoy any of it...
...Should we sign up and just walk some of the way? How soon have people done charity runs/races after starting the course?

yeah I always hated PE too. It didn't teach me how to make my body healthier or like athletics, it just taught me that some people are naturally good at athletic things, and I am not one of those people and never will be, and therefore I will always be unpopular. I wish when I was a child someone had taught me to build up my skills and endurance slowly, and compare myself against my personal best instead of against everyone else. I might have been active throughout my life and never had a weight problem in the first place, but alas. I can't go back in time, I can only go forward on a different path! c25k has given me enormous confidence so far. I absolutely love it.

When I do my first 5k I will have finished Couch to 5k plus had a couple weeks to do some extra training. I just counted - I will actually have about 6 extra weeks! but I think you can do a charity run or fun run a lot sooner, and just walk some of it! Do similar intervals to whatever week you are on in the program. Then the next time you run you can try to beat your own time. I think a lot of runs, especially charity ones, have a lot of walkers. You should just do it and have a good time!

On my normal schedule I would have done week 8 day 2 today, but I'm a bit behind. I'm having a busy crazy week with too much to do at home, and I'm exhausted so I slept this morning rather than get up for the gym. I'm going to see how tonight is and how late I get to sleep; I might finish week 8 thursday - saturday, but it will more likely be friday - sunday. I am determined to keep going though! I'm actually really annoyed I got interrupted...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 am 
Nailed to the V

How is everybody doing?

Finished week 8 day 2 today! I'm still behind on sleep, but I got to sleep in before running which helped. What I thought was allergies seems to be a cold, yuck. So I felt awful at the beginning, but by the end it actually helped get everything moving and shake all the yuck out. I hope this cold doesn't move into my chest, though. Then i'd have to take more time off. Boooo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I did Week 3, Day 1 today. Three minutes felt like a long time, but I got through it and that should give me confidence for next time. Actually, I accidentally went over and did like 3:15 the first time. So I definitely know I can do just three minutes. I'm pretty excited that I seem to be making progress.

I hope you feel better, Mack the Spork!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hey, way to go! Yeah, this program is great for that, you really get to feel your progress. Keep rockin week 3!

Thanks, I'm feeling okay cold-wise, just still tired. Lots of late nights! I've been napping half the day, haha. I'm going to get up early-ish tomorrow, just to try to get myself back on a normal sleep schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

jojo wrote:
[

indigozo I was totally that person at school too. I hated P.E class!

Is the park run at Hove Park or Preston Park? I've been thinking of going to that too once I think I can run that far. I almost signed up for the 5k run on October 14th but I think it's a little over ambitious, I'm going on holiday from Sept 21st to Oct 3rd so I can't see myself managing it. I have signed up to run the Rise 8k as a relay with 3 other people from a local feminist group though. It's only 2K each but I think doing that at a reasonable pace (to keep up with the others) is going to be challenging enough!

I'm going to my first outdoor training session for the Rise relay tonight, I wish it wasn't pouring with rain. I've never even run outside before so it's gonna be interesting![/quote]

The park run at Hove Park. I didn't know there was one at Preston Park. I've been running outside and I think that it's tough but at least it gives you a bit more to look at so the time goes quicker. Good luck with the Rise training sessions.

I've just finished week 2 but had 3 days off and not sure if I will be able to run tomorrow. I went back to work this week which has made it harder to fit in.

Mack the Spork wrote:
I can't go back in time, I can only go forward on a different path! c25k has given me enormous confidence so far. I absolutely love it.

Good point! It has definitely given me confidence because I never thought I would be able to run and just thought it wasn't my sort of thing. The 'Bleep test' and cross country running at school was a big part of the cause of the lack of confidence. It was always difficult and felt pointless at the time. Glad I'm viewing jogging a bit differently now though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

...i'm not very good at quotes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Indigozo, I think we did the beep test in school too when it was too cold or rainy to go on the outdoor track. I almost preferred it because I could just stop when I couldn't run anymore, rather than having to complete the full mile.

Between work and rainy weather it took me almost two weeks to do week 3, but I finally did and did day 1 of week 4 yesterday. It was by far the most difficult yet. I thought I wouldn't make it through the last 5 minutes, but when I had just 1.5 minutes left, a deer walked out onto the trail in front of me and kept me distracted enough that I finished. I was able to run right past it without scaring it away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I totally have to start running outside, so I can see deer & cool stuff!

Way to go, kohlrabenschwarz! Week 4 definitely starts to push you, but you will do great and be amazed!

I'm so thankful for this thread, which got me inspired & started in the first place. I finished Couch to 5k, Week 9 run 3, on Saturday.

This week is my first week on my own, and I was afraid I'd lose motivation or drive or something, now that I'm not doing an obvious program designed by someone else. I'm doing okay though! On Monday I did the elliptical, for some variety. I did not love it! I'm not used to the range of motion/stride of it, so I couldn't go as fast as I wanted to. I did intervals - 1 minute as fast as I can go (which was limited by the shape of the stride more than my legs strength and endurance! grrrr.) and then 5 minutes at my "normal" pace. It was okay, but I missed running. :) I'm the person that misses running!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Haha. Today I ran for 32 minutes, to increase my time beyond C-2-5k. I continue to amaze myself!!

I have next week to continue to do my own thing... The following week I'll be on vacation, yay! (one of our hotels does have a fitness room! I'm bringin my running shoes!!) Then I have three more weeks to keep training before my 5k.

I'll keep checking in to encourage you all! You're doing great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next