| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Going to have the AFR trifecta sandwich for lunch today: grilled portabella, eggplant bacon, and shabby sheik hummus. With a side of Kale chips.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:53 am 
Nailed to the V

baps wrote:
I think I make the basic tofu about once a week now. It's so easy and goes with anything. I usually bake it in the marinade as I never remember to make it ahead of time and it always works out well, just takes a bit longer in the oven.

I need to try this! I love that stuff, but hate waiting for it to marinate. I never think ahead enough, and I'm impatient and lazy.

Chickpea gravy is making my week. So good for comfort food cravings! I've had it on steamed vegetables with leftover seitan, and roasted potatoes, green beans, and asparagus with some tempeh crumbled in. YUM. It's like thanksgiving every night, except easy and made out of leftovers.

Oh I was super lazy this time, too. I didn't saute the onion & garlic, just used less raw onion & blended everything in the vitamix. Then I threw it on the stove to thicken, and done. Still amazing.

I'm going to try adding a bunch of sauteed mushrooms + soaked dried mushrooms, and maybe a little extra cornstarch to compensate for the extra moisture, to make chickpea mushroom gravy.

I need to decide what I'm making for dinner tonight...

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made a couple new-to-me recipes recently out of this book.

i made the miso udon noodles with greens and beans and it was pretty good. i loved the sauteed broccoli in it.
i used soba noodles instead of udon because i had bought soba noodles ages ago for something and i dont remember why and they were sitting in my cabinet staring me in the face and when i compared them to udon noodles in the store they seemed pretty much the same except for the width of the noodle.

i also dont think the specifically adzuki beans were necessary. once i run out of the bag i have i will probably just use black beans in this recipe from now on so i dont have to hunt down the adzuki beans.

i also made the cajun tempeh bean balls and spaghetti with her cajun sauce recipe.
i dont actually have any cajun spices and being a Yankee im not entirely sure what cajun spice is made of so i just skipped that and used red pepper flakes so im not sure how "cajun" it was but it was good none the less. my husband liked it too. we have a bunch of leftovers. i hope the pasta in the sauce tastes ok as a leftover. sometimes pasta in sauce as a leftover can be a bit bleh.

this week i also made the tamarind quinoa which ive made before. i am not a big fan of quinoa but i like it in this recipe so that is awesome!

the only thing i forgot is how hard it is to crush coriander seeds so i basically have whole seeds in mine whcih is gross when you get a mouthful

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

MADE THE SANCTUARY CHEF SALAD AND EVERYBODY JUST DROPPED DEAD FROM YUM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't believe I waited this long to make the hummus. I used a container of chickpeas that was slightly less than what was called for (for some reason, the tetrapacks of organic beans are smaller than the non-organic cans) but left everything else the same. I also used a lot more than 3 tbsp of the bean liquid to get mine smooth, and I threw in about 1/2 tbsp of sriracha. But the result was probably the best homemade hummus I've ever had - super garlicky, lemony, a little spicy. So good. And it has even fewer calories than the store-bought low-fat hummus! I might never buy hummus again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the buffalo tempeh last night and it came out super salty. I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong...whether the saltiness is from the Frank's Red Hot I used in the marinade, or if I let it marinate a hair too long (probably about an hour and a quarter).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the kalamata and red wine tempeh for the first time the other day. Really yummy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For the scallion cornbread do I chop up the whites and greens? Just the greens?

About to pre-heat the oven!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I chopped up the whole green onion and ugh, that is the worst cornbread I've ever had. Dense and completely flavourless. Maybe my baking powder was bad?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:45 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

For the cheeze sauce can I use Better Than Chicken paste instead of the powder? Would it work?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:23 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Alin wrote:
I chopped up the whole green onion and ugh, that is the worst cornbread I've ever had. Dense and completely flavourless. Maybe my baking powder was bad?

Sounds like something went wrong. Mine was definitely fluffy. I didn't like it either, but I've come to the conclusion that I plain just don't like American cornbread so that isn't really the fault of the recipe (my friend really liked it). I remember thinking that mine tasted eggy, which might be another reason I didn't like it, since I'm egg intolerant and associate that flavour with pain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Fruitbat, that is the perfect description. It was eggy. Like a cornbread quiche. I definitely think my baking powder was bad because it wasn't fluffy at all. Not sure if I will try again, but I have A HUGE pot of beans to work with here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:34 pm 

I liked the cornbread biscuits from Vegan Brunch a lot better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried the cornbread when I first got AFR and it was really the only flop I've had from the book. It was crumbly and just didn't taste that great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:45 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yes!!! Nearly 2 weeks after it was dispatched it has finally arrived. Love the print and PHOTOS!!! Wooooohooooo!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Missmuffcake: I use a little better than bullion all the time rather then the flakes she calls for and the sauce works out fine. I really like the mac and trees, in fact now that you have reminded me of it I might have it tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh my god the scallion potato pancakes are amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:46 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

annasrobbie wrote:
Missmuffcake: I use a little better than bullion all the time rather then the flakes she calls for and the sauce works out fine. I really like the mac and trees, in fact now that you have reminded me of it I might have it tonight!

thanks! finding powder was a no go!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:52 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the Veggie Pot Pie stew for my lunches this week for the first time. The only change I made is subbing sweet potato for the russets. It was delicious!!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night I made the Arabian Rice and Lentil soup.

I planned on making something else, but I didn't have the right ingredients, so I made this with what I had on hand (short some ingredients) and in the pressure cooker (short on time).

It came out quite different than usual, and my partner liked it better! (I didn't, but it was still yum)

I used better than chicken bouillon instead of homemade stock, no lemon subbed sumac instead, used regular long grain brown rice instead of basatimi rice. I always add more cumin and corriander that it calls for.

I sautéed everything and cooked on high pressure for 10 minutes, let come down naturally for about 7, then released. Unfortunately the rice was not quite done, so I cooked on the stove on med-high for about 7 more minutes (next time I will just keep at pressure for 10 minutes OR use basmati rice)

Result: This was more of a stew than a soup. Like I said, my fiancé liked it more, I liked it better as a soup. But it was still good. If he likes it this way, I will cook for him this way, but with more stock or water. The sumac helped, but it really needed some lemon. (and I don't like the bullion in soups, I like my own broth better, but again, fiance liked it better)

Oh! and this soup is excellent with sirracha in it too.

So yeah...if anyone is interested in what this is like in a pressure cooker, this is it. I am trying all my soup/stew recipes in the pressure cooker lately. It's a bit of trial and error, but when you get it right, it saves a TON of cooking time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I can't believe I haven't made the mango bbq beans even once this summer. And now mangoes are out of season. Fork.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 pm 

Love Child wrote:
I can't believe I haven't made the mango bbq beans even once this summer. And now mangoes are out of season. Fork.

Frozen mango!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:35 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

fruitbat wrote:
Love Child wrote:

Frozen mango!

Yeah, I could do that, but there's something special about fresh mango in this. Frozen doesn't disintegrate in the sauce like the fresh does. :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the baked falafel today. It was my second time attempting falafel (the first time was a different recipe) and I think it will definitely be my go to recipe for falafel. They were really tasty. Already looking forward to lunch tomorrow so I can eat more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Made the blackbean, zuchini, olive tacos today - didn't have tortillas so had it over salad greens - Really good!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 122  Next