| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5364
Location: BRLA
And no, not everyone has a social security number

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2974
I have a social security number! I mostly use it to take jobs from Americans.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3085
Location: The Bene
My mom had a social security number and paid taxes when she lived in the States but she never became a citizen.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4141
Location: 5 mi east of philly
monkeytoes wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
if they get rid of electoral college, then it won't matter which state you vote in.

does everybody not have a social security number? if you pay taxes (or have ever paid taxes in the past), you should be able to vote. instead of having votes tied to a name, they should be tied to a social security number. that way there is no overlap, therefore no fraud.

taxpayer =/= citizen

i'm sure they could easily have a database that would disqualify certain social security numbers whether the person isn't of age or if they're not a citizen.

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm
Posts: 2144
monkeytoes wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
if they get rid of electoral college, then it won't matter which state you vote in.

does everybody not have a social security number? if you pay taxes (or have ever paid taxes in the past), you should be able to vote. instead of having votes tied to a name, they should be tied to a social security number. that way there is no overlap, therefore no fraud.

taxpayer =/= citizen


Yeah. My husband is a permanent resident, but not a citizen, so he can't vote. He does have a SSN.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2974
supercarrot wrote:
i'm sure they could easily have a database that would disqualify certain social security numbers whether the person isn't of age or if they're not a citizen.

Social Security numbers aren't unique, so I'm pretty sure this is impossible in principle, at least not without excluding lots of voters. Which is a problem, because we have no way of knowing whether those voters are elderly, minorities, or college students.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:08 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4141
Location: 5 mi east of philly
just mumbles wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
i'm sure they could easily have a database that would disqualify certain social security numbers whether the person isn't of age or if they're not a citizen.

Social Security numbers aren't unique, so I'm pretty sure this is impossible in principle, at least not without excluding lots of voters. Which is a problem, because we have no way of knowing whether those voters are elderly, minorities, or college students.


they're not unique? i had no idea. do they recycle them when people die? or do they actually give 2 people the same active number at the same time?
(if it's just that they recycle numbers from dead folks, i see no reason why the database would get confused. just append another 2 numbers at the end and when a number is recycled, they'll make it 123-45-6789-02 then it'll be unique. (or not. a dead person's voting history shouldn't affect the subsequent user's ability to vote. i highly doubt the turnover rate is within a day. so a person's vote won't be voided by a new person's. and if the deceased used a mail-in-ballot, it would make it more tricky, but not impossible.)

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11873
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Eliminating the clunky electoral college system doesn't address the issue of state and local elections.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2974
supercarrot wrote:
they're not unique? i had no idea. do they recycle them when people die? or do they actually give 2 people the same active number at the same time?

The latter. Mostly as a result of mistakes. Often two people with the same name, just to make matters worse.

Quote:
(if it's just that they recycle numbers from dead folks, i see no reason why the database would get confused. just append another 2 numbers at the end and when a number is recycled, they'll make it 123-45-6789-02 then it'll be unique.

I don't see how this solves anything. You can append anything you like to the SSN in the database, but the voter has no way of knowing that you've done that, so you still can't uniquely identify them.

This is also very insecure, for a proposal that's (nominally) meant to secure our elections. There's a reason the US has a runaway problem with identity theft.

I'm sure it would work, though: after implementing this proposal, in-person voter fraud would be almost non-existent!

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4141
Location: 5 mi east of philly
lavawitch wrote:
Eliminating the clunky electoral college system doesn't address the issue of state and local elections.

what's the issue with them? (i was talking about federal elections.)

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
graffitipassion wrote:
Ugh. College students are "foolish" voters. Yeah right. They are educated voters trying to shape the world they are about to live and work in. And surprise, it's not what the previous generation (or two generations) wants.

My aunt told me I haven't been in the real world long enough and seen enough to really understand politics.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
Fee wrote:
And no, not everyone has a social security number

I thought all legal citizens did.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Voting rights being threatened in several states
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:05 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Ozone Park, NY
starrynight87 wrote:
Fee wrote:
And no, not everyone has a social security number

I thought all legal citizens did.


Is there such a thing as an illegal citizen?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pi_Face and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer