| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:26 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Go littlebear!
I bought new running shoes yesterday, and spent about 50% more than I had planned to ($160!) but they are really comfortable, and the guys at the running store were very nice. I took my brother to get fitted for shoes also but he wears a size 12.5 so we had to special order them. He's been walking some serious mileage lately and has expressed interest in running; he played football in high school and was very active then but hasn't been since. I'm really proud of him.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

8-miler today and my hips feel robotic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 pm 

So I've started running home from work. I've done it twice now, but I'm having severe difficulty figuring out what to do regarding running with a backpack. Am I the only one who's really sensitive to this? The first time, I ran with one of those gym sacks with rope-handles. HORRIBLE IDEA. My clavicle is now chafed and bruised (rope basically sawed into my skin with every stride trying to keep the sack from bouncing around). Tonight I ran home with my larger/heavier/sturdier Chrome backpack and ended up chafing the back of my neck, though it was more secure to run with. I also felt like I was hunched over the whole way.

Any ideas? I don't really feel that safe leaving all my stuff overnight at work (including my bra), and I don't have any kind of storage there even if I wanted to, so I kind of have to take all my belongings home with me. I found one Nike backpack that looks like it's specifically for running, otherwise I have found nothing. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on the Internet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:57 am 

3 things:

1) I bought a Camelbak running backpack and am optimistic it's going to be awesome.
2) I saw Andrea from Project Runway (the one who escaped in the middle of the night) on my 10-miler this morning.
3) Also this morning -- a man on his bicycle got people to get out of his way by yelling, "HERE COMES HONEY BOO BOO," and ringing his bell. I think I'll try that one next time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I realized during yesterdays run that if I just put Motorheads No Class on repeat, I have no feeling of being tired.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:52 am 
Saggy Butt

Fall racing season is starting! Anyone have any races coming up? My first is on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i've been neglecting running, to my own detriment, but got to run sprints on the beach on sunday and it was glorious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:01 am 
Inflexitarian

inceptisol wrote:
Fall racing season is starting! Anyone have any races coming up? My first is on Sunday.

I have a 10k Sept 9th-ish!

Is there a trick to overcoming stomach cramps? I was trying to go really fast for 5k, and I maintained a high pace (for me) for 3k, but then I got stomach cramps and had to slow down. I was able to return to my original pace for the final km, but if I hadn't slowed down breifly I would have made a new personal record, which is frustrating. I had a heavy dinner but this was almost 3 hours later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

inceptisol wrote:

I'm planning to do a half marathon in October, and then the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving. Hopefully having Manchester on the horizon will keep me from getting lazy after my half, which is what happened last time.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am 
Dead by dawn

I don't have any fall races planned myself, but my coach will probably want me to run the Seattle half marathon in Nov. My tri season closes 9/15 and then I go into marathon training for Austin in February. I'm sure Coach T will want a half or two wedged in there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Which camelbak did you get, alice1drland? I've always wondered about that. My backpack is comfortable, but I don't know if I'd like running in it. The run home would be really nice though.

I'm feeling curious about racing again, but I don't know if I'll actually look into something. I'd want to do it with a pal, and I don't have running friends here.

I haven't been in the thread, but I've been slugging along. Most days I run a 4 mile loop, and I try to occasionally get a longer run on Saturdays (up to 10 miles). I feel kind of embarrassed like I should be doing more if I want to call myself a runner, but I'm running, and that's the bit that matters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I have my first half marathon this Saturday. I started training in March for a half in July, but the half was cut down to a 5 mile since it was too hot. So I feel like I've been training forever!

I'm excited but nervous about how to handle pacing. I know everyone is different, but what's your preference? Consistent? Negative splits?

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have at least set out to negative split all three of my halves. My plan was to start off slow for 5 miles, pick up slightly for the next 5 and then use up whatever juice was left on the last 3.1.

The first time out, I failed pretty miserably at that plan. I wasted a lot of energy early by weaving between people (it was a HUGE race) and just plain went out too fast.

The next one I was pretty successful at executing my overall plan, and the third was easy to negative split because it was a net downhill course with most of the downhill in the first two or three miles.

Anyway, the best advice I can offer is to make a plan and execute it, whatever it is. If you stick to the plan and it doesn't work the way you wanted it to, you can adjust the plan for the next time. I went into number two not really knowing if my plans was balls or not because I'd abandoned it the first time around.

Also, it's hard but really try to ignore what other people are doing and run your own race. Toward the end if you have the energy, you can use someone as a rabbit to chase down but I wouldn't personally recommend doing that too early on. Someone else's pace isn't your pace, you know?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:02 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Thank you monkeytoes! I appreciate the advice - it's very helpful

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Which camelbak did you get, alice1drland? I've always wondered about that. My backpack is comfortable, but I don't know if I'd like running in it. The run home would be really nice though.

This is what I ended up getting: http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-Day-Star.aspx

I ran home with it for the first time and was VERY happy. Held all my clothes (and shoes) comfortably, and at its tightest strap setting it didn't chafe, dig into my shoulders, or bounce around. I took the water bladder part out of it for runs home, but I'll be using it for my marathon training long runs.

I've got 3 big fall races! 1 half marathon at the end of September, another half marathon in Cape Cod at the end of October, and the Brooklyn Marathon in November.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Awesome, everyone, good luck!
As far as pacing, my best advice is not to start out too fast. It's so hard to not get caught up in the excitement but it has always backfired on me! You should have a pretty good idea of what your pace should be from training so try to stick with it. I go for negative splits.
Tea, I can't eat anything heavy before a run or i feel terrible. Everyone is different but even 3 hours before would be too much for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Finished the half in 1:49:24, so about 5 minutes better than I was hoping for! Negative splits seemed to work well for me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:42 pm 
Dead by dawn

Wow, congrats Steph, you're speedy! My goal is sub-2 hours and even though I have less than 4 minutes to shave off, it feels soooo far out of reach.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:06 am 

Meant to go 12 today, only went 4. The temp is manageable but it's SO HUMID. I was wiping my forehead every 5 seconds. Too much to handle for a 2+ hour run. I'll go out at 6:30am tomorrow to see what I can accomplish then.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 am 
Smuggling Raisins

monkeytoes wrote:
Wow, congrats Steph, you're speedy! My goal is sub-2 hours and even though I have less than 4 minutes to shave off, it feels soooo far out of reach.

Thank you!! You can do it -- it's amazing how much adrenaline can push you during a race. When is your next one?

Does anyone know why results times can change after a race? I got my time from the website, and a couple hours later I checked again so I could write it down and it was 19 seconds faster than I remembered. I feel like that's happened with other races too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

Steph wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Thank you!! You can do it -- it's amazing how much adrenaline can push you during a race. When is your next one?

Not sure. (Well, except for the one off the bike in my half Ironman but, needless to say, that won't be a half marathon PR!) I start marathon training after my tri season is over and I'm sure Coach will want me to do a couple of halves before February, but the Seattle half is not a PR course (WAY hilly!) One of my teammates offered to pace another teammate who runs about my pace and has 6 or 8 minutes to take off for a sub-2, so I guess I should find out what race they're doing. If it works with my schedule having Mel pace me would be awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

After almost 1.5 months I went out again, yay! It was hard, not much on the legs but ratehr on my pulse, it was super hight the whole time. Overall 40 minutes, including some walking in between. Not too bad! Tomorrow again!
Goal is a 10 km mid of October.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Had my first wipeout today. It was a combination of brand new running shoes and a sidewalk that suddenly leaped out at me :) Scraped hands, leg, and wounded pride but otherwise no injuries thankfully! I was expecting this in the winter, but not summer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am 
Inflexitarian

Ouch! Glad you're okay, Steph!

I did my first 10k event Sunday morning. My chip-time was 1:01:06.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I need to buy new running shoes. I bought the ones I have now almost exactly a year ago, and they are totally worn out. Maybe that's a good thing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 127  Next