| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obama okays Arctic Drilling by Shell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm 
Semen Strong

The Obama administration threw the doors of the Arctic open to Shell Oil today, allowing it to begin to prep to drill for oil in the heart of protected habitat critical to the survival of polar bears.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/30/news/co ... ll-arctic/

This is one of those moments when I remember that although the GOP suck worse, the Dems don't represent my interests either.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post subject: Re: Obama okays Arctic Drilling by Shell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

And yet this is better than grinding up oil shale or fracking.

Sucks to be everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Especially polar bears.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 pm 
We So Excited

fork.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Friday wrote:
fork.

I can't say it better than this!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:24 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i wish this filled me with outrage, but it's more of a gloomy "yes, i guess that would happen" feeling. i'm so depressed about how depressed i've become about politics and policy. i care about all the same things, but it gets harder and harder to convince myself that it's worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't understand. This at all.

Out of all the places to allow drilling, this is the one that seems to create the least political goodwill while simultaneously pissing off the most environmentalists.

Besides, most of that oil will likely to to Asia. The pipelines and shipping routes are convenient, and they will pay more.

It's getting harder and harder to by happy about voting for Obama. It's starting to veer over I to "voting against Romney" territory.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, and the timing is so dodgy - its like he was waiting for people to be distracted by the RNC and their crazy shenanigans and then announced it.

More practically, it looks like it was a reaction to Russia drilling there. http://www.pressherald.com/news/in-focu ... 08-30.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

For the record, I am not anti-drilling. I try to be a realist. I am also in favor of expanding nuclear power.

Personally, I do not think we should rip up the Arctic in order to sell oil to China and Japan. That is about corporate profit. Now, I don't know where this oil would ultimately go, but thats where tons of Alaskan oil has gone in the past.

Also, the real problems are not even necessarily the actual drilling site. Exxon aside, the technology is pretty impressive these days and one platform can cover a lot of area. But the infrastructure and pipelines are the really destructive part.

Ok. Out of this thread. Between this and the education thread, my head will explode.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 pm 
Semen Strong

From Politico:

Quote:
“It certainly is an interesting time for the determination, given Shell’s request was originally made last week,” said David Holt, president of the Consumer Energy Alliance. “You can assume the Department of Interior did need some time to review the application but it’s understandable why an announcement on the day of Romney’s acceptance of the Republican nomination would be viewed with some suspicion. Regardless, this development is welcome news for the U.S. economy and consumer and is good news for our economy and energy security.”

Will Race, spokesman for the environmental group Oceana, said that “Salazar’s announcement couldn’t have come on a better day” — at least politically.
“The night Mitt Romney speaks, the Obama administration can say they are doing everything in their power to produce domestic oil and that production has never been higher,” Race said. “The Obama administration is clearly trying to boast its leadership in oil production.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z2557xIGOZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm so disappointed (but not surprised).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Its time like this that I start looking at environmental dystopian novels as prophetic.