| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Yorker: Legitimate Children of Rape.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quote:
I (the author) have been researching a book, “Far from the Tree,” that deals in part with women raising children conceived in rape, and have therefore met the living reproof to Akin’s remark. Life for these children may be extremely difficult. One of the few groups founded to address this population, Stigma Inc., took as its motto, “Rape survivors are the victims … their children are the forgotten victims.”

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... -rape.html

Post subject: Re: New Yorker: Legitimate Children of Rape.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Potentially trigger-causing quote from the article.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
The aftermath of rape is always complicated. Many victims are simply in denial that they are pregnant in the first place: a full third of the pregnancies resulting from rape are not discovered until the second trimester. Any delay in detection reduces women’s options, especially outside major urban centers, but many women struggle with the speed of the decision; they are still recovering from being raped when they are called on to make up their minds about an abortion. The decision of whether or not to carry through with such a pregnancy is nearly always an ordeal that can lead, no matter which choice is ultimately made, to depression, anxiety, insomnia, and P.T.S.D. Rape is a permanent damage; it leaves not scars, but open wounds. As one woman I saw said, “You can abort the child, but not the experience.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

And another. (When I read this, or think about the "debate" happening in the US, I become so, so furious at the repeated lack of respect shown women - physically, psychologically, all of it.)

Spoiler: show
Quote:
In working on my book, I went to Rwanda in 2004 to interview women who had borne children of rape conceived during the genocide. At the end of my interviews, I asked interviewees whether they had any questions for me, in hopes that the reversal would help them to feel less disenfranchised in the microcosmic world of our interview. The questions tended to be the same: How long are you spending in the country? How many people are you interviewing? When will your research be published? Who will read these stories? Why are you interested in me? At the end of my final interview, I asked the woman I was interviewing whether she had any questions. She paused shyly for a moment. “Well,” she said, a little hesitantly. “You work in this field of psychology.” I nodded. She took a deep breath. “Can you tell me how to love my daughter more?” she asked. “I want to love her so much, and I try my best, but when I look at her I see what happened to me and it interferes.” A tear rolled down her cheek, but her tone turned almost fierce, challenging. “Can you tell me how to love my daughter more?” she repeated.

Perhaps Todd Akin has an answer for her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That last one was the worst.

Rape in ethnic conflicts is a recognized genocidal act - its goal is not just to demoralize the populace (which it obviously does very well), but to create instabilities in the victimized ethnic group by creating children who will be stigmatized because of their mixed ethnicity and the facts of their conception and in some cultures, women who will be considered unacceptable wives within their ethnic group.

How can a politician not know these things? How can we allow our Congress to make decisions about when to intervene abroad (their answer: never, unless there are oil interests involved) to stop ethnic conflicts and genocides when they don't even begin to grasp the horrors of the situation? How can we expect them to pass laws that bear any resemblance to human decency about victims of domestic violence, rape, prostitution, and human trafficking? It makes me die a little inside to think about it, as a woman, as a survivor of sexual abuse, and as a mother.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann wrote:

How can a politician not know these things?

They do knowl. They just ignore it. That's what makes it so horrible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:02 am 
Inflexitarian

Quote:
Rape is, above all other things, non-volitional for the victim, and the first thing to provide a victim is control. Raped women require unfettered choice in this arena: to abort or to carry to term, and, if they do carry to term, to keep the children so conceived or to give them up for adoption.

This.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]