| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Can we talk more about summer/sun dresses? I want to find some nice ones that aren't too short (has to cover my knee caps) but aren't maxis either. I feel like I need to learn to sew and take matters into my own hands.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hmmmm, that is a hard length. That is another reason why I wear legging under dresses. Cause I don't like my knees showing. The Avenue seems to have some options.

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Tiered-T ... yleNo=0045
http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Tiered-P ... ctTypeId=1
http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Belted-C ... ctTypeId=1

I just got this from Torrid, which I wear with leggings. It's really super cute and flattering and comfortable.
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clothing/D ... 578301.jsp

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am totally being really picky! The avenue ones are too long, blah blah blah.

I just ordered some plain jersey dresses and a skirt from target, I have one from there that I feel pretty comfortable in and they're not too plain so I think they'll work well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No luck with finding anything in stores. Although I know Torrid started to carry costumes, but I'm not sure they would be available in the stores now since it's not close to Halloween. Def look online, I'm sure there is something out there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Do any of you get irritated at the "plus" sized models on websites? I feel like none of them are really plus sized. And I know it's internet advertising and they are all airbrushed and everything. But thighs don't look that soft and perfect! I'm plus sized in real life and that means I have rolls, and flabby arms, and vegemite! Why can't any of the models represent that?

VENTING!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yes. I can only assume the plus size part of them is that they're eight feet tall or something.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Waiting for these to arrive from Kiyonna:

I hope I like them. Kiyonna is expensive, but I am so sick of getting junk from eshakti or other places.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Why slag on eshakti?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I like eshakti in theory, I've just never been satisfied with anything I've gotten from them. It sucks, because they do have cute stuff and I like that they offer a selection of sizes and customization options. I just think, that in my experience, the execution is lacking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh man, I love my eShakti dresses. My very favourite dress is an eShakti dress and I just ordered two more! Too bad your experience has been bad.

I discovered this totally rad online shop. I LOVE their stuff, and their models are truly plus-sized women, which (like graciakai said above) is usually not the case.

http://www.redressnyc.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Cute stuff! Ill have to save that site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:02 pm 
WRETCHED

I'd like to lose some weight first but I really want to try eshakti.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:

If you buy something that fits your body now, it could probably be tailored later on should you lose some weight.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh man, I love my eShakti dresses. My very favourite dress is an eShakti dress and I just ordered two more! Too bad your experience has been bad.

I discovered this totally rad online shop. I LOVE their stuff, and their models are truly plus-sized women, which (like graciakai said above) is usually not the case.

http://www.redressnyc.com

Oh, whoa, I love the actual plus sized models! Beautiful! It actually gives me an idea if what the clothes might look like (gasp!) on me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm not plus sized (I hope it's okay to post in here!), wear a 10-12, but can't for the life of me find a pair of jeans that is friendly to my generous hips and asparagus. I generally take a political stance that most jeans are simply not meant for women's bodies, so fork them, but I have seen some plus sized women positively rocking skinny jeans and I want to too! Has anyone found skinny jeans that are comfortable and flattering and stay up without creating the dreaded muffin-top?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:44 am 
WRETCHED

bunniee wrote:
linanil wrote:

If you buy something that fits your body now, it could probably be tailored later on should you lose some weight.

Are you tempting me!? I'm tempted but since I just started losing weight again, I figured I'd wait a few months before buying some new clothes.

j-dub wrote:
I'm not plus sized (I hope it's okay to post in here!), wear a 10-12, but can't for the life of me find a pair of jeans that is friendly to my generous hips and asparagus. I generally take a political stance that most jeans are simply not meant for women's bodies, so fork them, but I have seen some plus sized women positively rocking skinny jeans and I want to too! Has anyone found skinny jeans that are comfortable and flattering and stay up without creating the dreaded muffin-top?

Not sure if they'd work for you but have you tried Levis Curve-id? They are really one of the only jeans that don't give me a muffin top, which is hard to achieve because of my loose skin. They fit like no other jean ever has and at first, I thought they were demonic jeans but now I like them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:09 am 
Discovered unobtainium

j-dub wrote:

Calvin Klein has some mid-rise boot cut skinny jeans that fit very well and are super flattering. Even when I was in small sizes, I had trouble because I definitely have hips, but these ones fit so well, I bought them again after I gained weight. They go up to a reasonable 16 (they seem true to size). If the mid rise hits you in the right spot, you shouldn't have muffin top.

I got mine at Costco, so they were only $24.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

j-dub wrote:

I have skinny jeans from Torrid that I love. Any they run small, so if you are a 12 the smallest size they have might fit you. But try Macy's, they carry the Levi curve and a lot of other brands so there is variety. Jeans kind of suck in general. Finding a pair that fits right can be exhausting! You just have to keep trying until you find a brand you like. Baby Phat might be a possible brand for you too. They are cut for fuller bums!

Has anyone come across a new plus size store in the malls called Fashion to Figure? I went shopping with my girlfriends a few weekends ago and ran into it. Clothes were super cute and cheap! http://www.fashiontofigure.com/#

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:34 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

linanil wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Not sure if they'd work for you but have you tried Levis Curve-id? They are really one of the only jeans that don't give me a muffin top, which is hard to achieve because of my loose skin. They fit like no other jean ever has and at first, I thought they were demonic jeans but now I like them.

I am not plus-sized either, but I was also going to suggest the Levi's Curve-IDs. Jeans usually gap at the back of the waist on me, but I got some of their bold curve ones (and I wouldn't exactly call me curvy!) and the waist is perfect. The ones I got are boot-cut, but I assume they make skinny jeans as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Awesome. Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to go to the Levi's store this weekend!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:08 pm 
WRETCHED

And I've been eyeing the eShakti sale for a while and decided to order a couple items.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I went shopping at Dress Barn last night for a dress and couldn't believe that I had to choose which ones i wanted. I actually found 6 or 7 that I liked. I went for one and came home with two because I just couldn't decide and would wear both so much! Good thing I had a coupon.

This is quite possibly my favorite dress of all time. My sister picked it up and brought it to me in the dressing room. "dont question me, just try it on"

I would have assumed it wouldn't work on me because of the belted waist. But the waist is dropped a little so it actually hit at my
low waist!

She picked out this one too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:05 am 
WRETCHED

Dress barn just seems like such an unfortunate name but that is where I found a nice dress for my grandfather's funeral last year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I actually really like Dress Barn, but yeah, the name is unfortunate. Like so unfortunate they're thinking of changing it http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion ... ge-5938952

I did get my very favorite dress there though earlier this summer, I haven't worn it because it's a bit too fancy for every day life, but I like to look at it.

Thee seersucker skirt is my favorite part, it's sooooo cute!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, but better a bad name with nice dresses than a great name and crepe clothes.

Jessi, that is cute!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next