| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:49 am 
And you never will.

Thanks! I'm not too worried about it. I've been emptying it every time he pees, but I'm not always in the room and he spills it all over his hands (ew). The novelty of being able to pull it out seems to be wearing off, though. This morning is so far, so good. Lots of pee in the potty, no accidents yet. Also no poo yet, so we will see how that one goes. He's never had a problem just pooping on the floor when he's been naked, so I hope that translates to no problem pooping in the potty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:14 pm 
And you never will.

So aside from nap time, poopiebaby has been naked from the waist-down all day. We have had countless pees, one poop, and ZERO accidents! He was really shy about the poop at first, but he was really proud after we made a HUGE deal about it afterward. He loved flushing it down the big potty. "Bye bye, poo!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awesome! I was vacuuming the bedroom last night (crumbs everywhere -- again -- and we have our quarterly apartment inspection on Monday) so I could put the futon down and when I came back in the living room, Raygold had pooped on the floor, Beetroot had fallen into it, and both were running around. I barely managed to keep it together, but I mostly did and cleaned everything up with not too much trouble. :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:43 am 
And you never will.

Ugh, sorry TCC! I can't imagine doing this with another kid around. Yesterday went pretty well overall, just a couple of accidents - one pee in the kitchen, one trail of poo from the toys to the potty (which is kind of amusing now) and one pee and poo in the potty that got dumped all over the floor and played with.

I've also learned that my husband won't participate, doesn't watch poopiebaby while I'm making dinner (that's when the poo and pee got dumped), and won't help me clean up. Not a big surprise considering he rarely changes nappies and never EVER a poopie one, but still. Having to stop making dinner to go clean up the huge mess that happened because he was too busy playing on his phone to pay attention to the kid he hadn't seen all day really pissed me off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 am 
And you never will.

Oh! To end on a positive note though, poopiebaby woke up DRY this morning and immediately asked for the potty! Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yay pb and pbaby! He's catching on so fast!

Ezra has had a dry diaper for five days straight, but he has no interest in underwear. I think he likes the security of the diapers. I don't want to push him too fast and have him regress, but I'm thinking of giving the undies a try again this weekend. But if he pitches a fit when he sees the underwear come out again (which he's done before), I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

I see my last load of dirty dipes in the distance!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow I'm so excited (I can't believe I said that) but Kai peed in the toilet this morning! I haven't really done much, but we have a little toilet seat attached to the adult toilet seat downstairs so his babysitter's little girl can use it during the week. So I sat him on it this morning and he actually went! At first he grunted a bit so I think he was trying to poo but must not have had to go. So then he peed and since it wasn't aimed down it shot out, but I said oh no! And he stopped, then I showed him how to aim it down and he actually used his own hand to aim it down and went some more in the toilet!

I guess this means I should really take this seriously now and try to train him full-on. If this actually works I'll be so happy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:00 am 
And you never will.

Okay, I've got him peeing and pooping in the potty pretty much exclusively (except at naptime and overnight, of course), but HOW OH HOW do I teach the child to pull his own underpants up and down? And any tricks to keep him from feeling 'safe' with the underpants on and peeing all over himself? He is great when he's naked, but cover his willie with something and suddenly it's pissageddon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's awesome poopiebitch! I can't believe you got him going in just a few days. Maybe it has something to do with your name haha.
I have no tips for you though, sorry. I'm confused by this whole process too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, that is where we stalled too. if we were home all day and naked, we'd be completely 100% potty trained. it's the clothing and the being out that gets us.

my conclusion is that if they don't "get" it after a couple of day of peeing on themselves, then they aren't really ready yet, and you can either do what i did and spend the next couple of weeks stressed out and trying to get them on the potty every hour to avoid accidents, or try again later.

but yeah, first step is to just put them in underwear/pull-ups and see if they pick up on it. we talked about it a lot too... what it felt like to have wet underwear and clothes, how to make sure we were going to the potty in enough time, reminders about NOT peeing in the pull-up. and have as much naked time as possible. i basically strip tzipi down when we walk in the door, cause otherwise she'll just get lazy and pee in her pull-up while i'm busy making dinner or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yay he just peed in the toilet again!

You know what's annoying though, my husband won't participate either. (so I feel you Poopie!) I don't understand it because he is usually good with most things (and is even the primary diaper changer). The thing is, Kai poops 1st thing after having his milk pretty much every morning, and most mornings my husband is the one with him then because he works from home. When I'm home on weekends, I've put him on the potty (like 3-4 times now) and asked my husband to do it but he won't. Even after yesterday's success, this morning was my morning to sleep in so when I got up I said, "Did you try the potty?" And he said "No." I said, "why not?" He said, "I don't know." Urgh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am being a really mean mom right now. Raygold pooped on the floor after peeing on the floor a bunch of times all day -- he has totally taken it upon himself to pee in the potty and to even poop sometimes (although not usually), so there is not much of an excuse for the floor peeing other than that he just didn't fancy using the potty. I put him in a diaper (a terry square I was using as a rag and a snappi) and won't take it off. He is SO MAD. I told him that if he doesn't stop going on the floor, he has to wear a diaper. He is LIVID.

It's a good punishment because it's just a harmless diaper, but he hates wearing one so much, I am hoping this will help encourage him to use the potty. It's hard reasoning with a 2 year old sometimes.

...Okay, he took the diaper off while I was writing this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Update: I think we're all done but this June we had a major set back that involved a serious bladder infection and at the same time I read this article: http://www.babble.com/toddler/toddler-h ... ing-early/ which made me less worried about diapers and stuff. I learned to relax and take in the little victories. O doesn't even wet the bed ever but sometimes she wants to wear a diaper and that's okay. She never uses them but it's nice to know she isn't constipated anymore. She had to have laxatives and everything. It sucked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra's worn underwear all day today. No one mention it to him, ok?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Poopie,
I tried potty training a few different ways (and it works differently with every kid). With Beet, I eventually settled with the, "let him do it in his own time and then lie and tell everybody he potty trained at 1"-way

This made me laugh.. We have a nephew a few months younger than V and his mother is convinced he'll be pottytrained by one because supposedly she was. My SIL&BIL also had a pair of puppies that were "housebroken in three hours" who greeted us by peeing on the floor in front of us the first time we met them, and when they were later given to my MIL, they promptly ruined her carpet. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to observing how that goes for them.

We bought a potty for V and I thought maybe I could at least use it for her post-wake up pee to get her used to the idea before we formally start doing any kind of potty training, but she cries if I put her on it, stands up, and then pees on the bathroom floor. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela knows that you get the potty when its time to poop, but hasn't figured out that you should poo in it. She's peed in it and we praise her lavishly, but for poo, she brings it over as a sign that we should take off her diap. Then we put her on the potty and she gets up and finds a spot that she can support herself (edge of the music table, mini-tool bench) and then poops. So near the potty but not in it.

Today I saw her pooping and said "Should we go in the potty?" She shook her head no, and pooped in her diaper and then I said "Okay should we change the diaper?" And she nodded yes and led me upstairs to change her diaper with no fuss.

So clearly she knows when she is pooping, she doesn't like being in it, but hasn't yet figured out why to go in the potty yet. I guess we have to buy a potty learning book and start getting rewards ready. Gah! Why can't this be easier?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Violet peed in her potty for the first time yesterday! It was awesome. I've been letting her sit on her potty when she wants some naked time lately, and I was out of diapers so rather than let her stay on the changing table while I searched, I let her sit on her potty and told her to stay there while I prepped a diaper.

I came back and guess who peed! BOO YAH.

Except today we tried the same thing and she got up and peed on the floor next to it. You win some, you lose some.

And Tlish, it sounds like Leela is WAY ahead of the curve. Recognizing that you have a problem (a poopy diaper) is the first step! And I think "Everybody Poops" is the classic there, but we don't have it yet. I suppose I should consider potty training in earnest, but V is still not TOTALLY interested in it, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am not even close to making any effort toward potty training yet. Malka has just figured out that she has poop in her diaper after she's gone and that that should lead to changing (she is still taken by surprise by the act of pooping). My understanding is that most kids are able to anticipate peeing/pooping between 2 and 3 and if you give them a chance to use the potty then on their own terms, they'll train themselves. The potential benefit of not having to change a poopy diaper seems like it's way outweighed by the hassle of trying to train a child who's not yet ready and who will likely be going on the floor and making even more annoying messes along the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't really mind the mess at this point. Her poops are solid enough to pick up easily and she really doesn't pee much after the am. Plus we have mostly hardwood floors. I worry about pushing her, so we just offer it when we see the signs and we've been encouraging her to just sit on it a bit.

My friend who lives in HK has a 6m old who is mostly pottytrained. Her pediatrician told her that American moms are too lazy to pottytrain, which I found hilarious. I don't think many people work harder than American moms, esp as they don't often have the support of extended family under the same roof or live-in childcare. Every culture has its own sense about parenting and what is appropriate at what time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I seriously doubt her 6 month old is potty trained. My understanding is that elimination communication is just really popular there (China and HK) and they'll call catching pees and poops by putting the kid over the toilet every fifteen minutes "potty trained." There are plenty of Americans using EC who achieve the same results. We're not talking about the same things. I have a friend who adopted a child from China at 15 or so months and the adoption agency swore up and down she was potty trained. She didn't even know when she was peeing and pooping. Totally oblivious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My nephew is half Chinese and has lived in China since birth with his mother. They started holding him over the toilet every day at the same time since he was a newborn so that he would poop at the same time every day. He's 9 months old now but I haven't asked about his potty habits lately. I'm curious now though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I guess it depends on what you consider pottytrained, and I am not going to argue with someone else's assessment of their own child. She feels like her baby is pottytrained for the most part, and they are now diaperless except when they go out for longish trips and overnight, and that is mostly just for added security.

If we had that, I would be thrilled.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm pretty sure from the grad school public restrooms that Chinese adults all poop at the same time every day. Right about 9:30 or 10am. ;)

ETA: I don't really expect to pottytrain her fully any time within the next 6 months or even year, but it might be nice to save a diaper for the times when I KNOW she is going to pee.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am not at all suggesting arguing with someone who says their child is potty trained (although, if you're adopting said child, I suggest not believing it when it's years younger than children normally are able to toilet themselves)! I'm just suggesting not measuring apples against oranges. "Potty training" whatever that means, seems like lots of parental effort before that magical awareness age. Of course you have to decide for yourself how much effort you're willing to put into the issue! At this point, my answer is zero.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, Leela knows when she needs to poop at least, and is uncomfortable in her diaps after she poos or pees (we use cloth, so perhaps that is the difference). So introducing the potty seems like a natural next step for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next