| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is Shades of Grey worth reading? (Please explain further!)
Definitely! Can't believe you're seriously wasting time on creating this poll - get the book! 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Ambivalent about it. 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
No. Just no. 88%  88%  [ 69 ]
Total votes : 78
 Post subject: Re: Tell my: (Why) Should I read Shades of Grey?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Vantine wrote:
Were you not glad that Christian removed the "burden" of her virginity from her?

Yes, Ana was very lucky that he was willing to take care of that problem before making her sign the contract (but after the NDA was signed, obviously.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:28 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

lavawitch wrote:
Actually, the worst part of the whole book was when Ana didn't have an email address and had to be taught how to use it. What college student/graduate has never had an email address?!

There are several other "tells" that expose the author's laziness/unfamiliarity with the details of the characters she is constructing. The fact that she had "no access to a computer" was troubling, too, since the novel begins with her having to write a (very short, not a length that would be for a class in her last year as an English major) essay.

Anyway, I opt not bothering to read it; there are plenty of good books out there that are just as quick to read. I downloaded the audio books to see what all the fuss was and it's even tough to listen to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lavawitch wrote:
Actually, the worst part of the whole book was when Ana didn't have an email address and had to be taught how to use it. What college student/graduate has never had an email address?!

That set up the what the fizzle expectations nicely.

I don't know where the book is set and I've no intention of reading it, but loads of our students (aged 16+ right through to in their 70s) don't have e-mail addresses, have never had them and don't want them. We give them a college e-mail address and most of them never use it. I do technology focus groups with them, and these days they mostly tell us never to e-mail them because they never use e-mail. Just an aside.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Is it weird that an employee I supervise was reading it at work (during her break)? I asked her if she was reading anything good and she showed me the book (which I have not read) and I said "Oh, I heard that is a good book" mostly because I didn't know what else to say.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:43 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Efcliz wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I don't know where the book is set and I've no intention of reading it, but loads of our students (aged 16+ right through to in their 70s) don't have e-mail addresses, have never had them and don't want them. We give them a college e-mail address and most of them never use it. I do technology focus groups with them, and these days they mostly tell us never to e-mail them because they never use e-mail. Just an aside.

Recent graduate of a major university. Are there any universities today that don't require email for announcements, notifications, communications with professors, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I voted no. From what I've heard about the books, the relationship alone would turn me off. Bad writing wouldn't help.

I read several funny reviews (especially the Goodreads ones), and it sounds like the author didn't like or know her characters (esp. the woman) very well. Barf.

To me, these books sound like erotic versions of the Left Behind series, if that makes any sense at all (it doesn't really, except in my head).

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lavawitch wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Recent graduate of a major university. Are there any universities today that don't require email for announcements, notifications, communications with professors, etc?

We run several university courses and don't require it. It's helpful of course, but for those students who choose not to use email we find other ways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

One of my creative writing workshop professors didn't have e-mail. He sent us handwritten letters in the mail when he wanted to tell us stuff (this was in 2007). He didn't run a credited class though and if he had done that, they might have required him to get an email but something tells me he wouldn't, even if he was told to. He was that kind of guy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

http://50shadesofwtf.tumblr.com/

If think if you look at the first page or so on google books you will figure out pretty quickly whether the writing annoys you. I'd be willing to bet that a thesaurus was involved in writing the manuscript. The heroine, besides having initials that might as well be ARSe, is rather dull and oblivious and the sex scenes are just tedious. He touched her "down there"?

lavawitch wrote:

I went to a university in England that's high in the league tables (if you believe those). Once I hit my final year as an undergrad, half a decade ago, we were required to submit coursework using an online system, as well as on paper. Plus, there was a module in the first year that required you to use a file that is sent out by email. Having said that, I TAed that course several times as a grad student and there was a surprising number of people who had to be taught how to save the attachment correctly. There are computers reserved exclusively for email in the university library and various departments.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is my favourite part:

How did she know what his finger tasted like when he was putting it in his mouth, not hers?

I think I said it somewhere on this forum how its something I love to hate, but it can be too enraging, like when

Spoiler: show
Ana is only allowed one weekend night a month to hang out with her friends, after the one PoC character in the entire series tries to sexually assault her, Christian saves her and of course, blames her for it, he makes his housekeeper clean his sex toys, etc

and Ana goes from passive virgin maiden to jealous haughty rich bisque throughout the series. I'd recommend the various blogs like 50 Shades Of Boring, 50 Shades Of Suck and so on rather than read the actual books if you just want to be in the know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I forgot about all the "holy shiitakes." deleting those would collapse the trilogy nicely into one short book.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been reading the hilarious 1-star reviews on Amazon (and elsewhere on the internets; I love bad reviews) for these books, and I had to share part of one:

"This book is the Ke$ha of literature."

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 am 
Saggy Butt

Vantine wrote:
They even used TurnItIn which is hilarious. (It rated the two stories 89% alike.)

I just peed a little! Having started Uni I've come to learn about Turn It In, I think this has been the best use of it ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 am 
Ninja Master

I am about 38% into the second one according to my kindle and I'm struggling so much. It's SO boring.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:31 pm 
We So Excited

Late to the party, forgive me if someone posted this. "My inner goddess looked like someone snatched her icecream."
My partner brought this home. The church going grandma she works with lent them to her. This phenomenon confuses me.
Flipping through it to see if I could find the sexy, but hit that line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:03 am 
Ninja Master

Friday wrote:

Good luck with that. These books are about as sexy as a shiitake sandwich!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was at the library today and there's this bulletin board where patrons are free to post their book recommendations. The one recommendation on the board was for 50SoG. It said something like "it keeps you interested the whole way!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

baps wrote:
Friday wrote:

There are also sexy books, filled with kink that are not sexist and filled with a relationship that is horrible on so many levels.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:03 pm 
We So Excited

Vantine wrote:
baps wrote:
Friday wrote:

There are also sexy books, filled with kink that are not sexist and filled with a relationship that is horrible on so many levels.

Oh, I know, and I have a decent library of them. But they aren't being read by grandmothers, posted about in libraries, and joked about in teacher training workshops. Mostly I wanted to see what the fuss is about, and it's here, and I thought, well, maybe there's something sexy in there.
There isn't. Which everyone has said. But I just needed to bite into that shiitake sandwich myself apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My friend made this :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Friday wrote:
Oh, I know, and I have a decent library of them. But they aren't being read by grandmothers, posted about in libraries, and joked about in teacher training workshops. Mostly I wanted to see what the fuss is about, and it's here, and I thought, well, maybe there's something sexy in there.
There isn't. Which everyone has said. But I just needed to bite into that shiitake sandwich myself apparently.

I check the reviews at SBTB first. When Sarah rated it as "Did not finish" I knew that it was terrible. She's a smart woman who is familiar enough with romance as a genre that I can trust her opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm 
We So Excited

I'm betting if it were sitting on your coffee table the last weekend of summer, you would not be able to resist opening it. In fact, I would love to test this.
I couldn't actually read it, tho, and that's rare for me. I can usually get lost in almost anything I pick up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am 
WELFARIST!

I was at my friend's on Thursday and spotted it on his coffee table and picked it up and read a quarter of a page and said to him: "You're reading this book. You like it?" and my friend kinda shrugged and was like: "yeah, it's all the rage," (he's something of a trend follower) and I said "the sex is pretty vanilla, right?" and he said "no, not at all. He has her sign a contract and ties her up!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Vantine wrote:
baps wrote:
Friday wrote:

You so want to make a "good erotica" suggestion shelf at the library.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lycophyte wrote:

You so want to make a "good erotica" suggestion shelf at the library.

I should do my next FB storytime with the good parts of an erotic novel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next