| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad dog--advice needed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I had to have one of my dogs, Duke, euthanized on Thursday, but I still have his litter mate, Milo. They were constant companions for almost twelve years, apart only a couple of weeks their entire lives. Milo doesn't seem to be taking his new only-dog status very well--he's just not the bouncy, happy boy he was before Duke died. I'm not sure what to do for him. I got a Kong for him, and I thought I'd put some peanut butter and/or treats in it, to keep him occupied the first half hour or so after I leave for work or running errands (he has some separation anxiety). I also thought about leaving a radio playing for him.

A little about his living situation: I am recently divorced (he was handling the divorce very well--he's always been a mama's boy), work an 8 am - 4 pm work schedule with a short commute. While I'm away he's confined to a small sun room in the back of the house, with dog-door access to a large, fenced in back yard. He's a shy boy, and I'm not sure if getting another dog would make things better or worse. I have a cat (Marvin) who likes him, but the feeling is not really reciprocated--Milo's not hostile, just wary.

Any & all advice is most welcome!

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

Post subject: Re: Sad dog--advice needed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm 
Chip Strong

So sorry to hear that! Give him some time to adjust. It will take a while, just like it will take time for you. I wouldn't jump right into another dog? Also a new dog could possibly introduce another whole set of stressors depending on new dog's behavior/temperament etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, dogs need time to grieve just like people. Chester was super depressed after Bonny died, he didn't want to eat much or go outside. It was really bad for about three days, then so-so for a few weeks. Chester is pretty cool with being solo, but he and Bonny were super bonded.

One thing I tell everyone is: no matter how much you think they just want a companion, they are missing THAT dog/cat. My father-in-law adopted a new dog two weeks after one of his dogs died, and the other dog pulled her fur out for over a week after the new dog showed up. Now, I waited a full year for ME, I doubt a dog needs that long but I wouldn't rush yourself or him into anything just so he can have someone to play with. I would at least give him a month, and you however long you need.

I'm sorry about Duke. <3

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so sorry to hear about Duke. :(

I echo what everyone else said already and just give the poor guy some time. And extra cuddles and love.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Oh, there's no way I'd rush out and get another dog--I don't think either one of us could handle it at this point! I'm just trying to think of things I can do to help him not be so lonely while I'm at work. The Kong & the radio were the only things I could think of.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sorry to hear about Duke. It sounds like he had a great life. I'd echo what everyone else has said. After Butters died, all my other kitties were down and after some time had passed, they got back to normal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Maybe if it's close enough you could come home at work and take him for a walk at lunch? That's the only thing I can think of. Or having someone check in on him. Our dogs can't bear to be apart so I can imagine this is really hard on you both. Sending lots of love.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Big hugs to you and your pup. When we lost my other dog Nacho was very strange for a while. We tried to make up for it with a new walk scheme (early early AM walk with Mr T) and some new training (involving lots of treats). I can't really take the idea of getting (and losing) another dog so I think he'll be on his own, and we're trying to make him a real happy dog. It's been about 3 months or so and he's been back to normal for a bit now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:13 pm 
Chip Strong

I like the idea of new training and changing up routines like torque said. Special new stuff for you and Milo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody! Milo seems to perk up a bit when I get the leash, so I've been taking him for short walks. He's also really into cuddling on the couch--I am down with that. He's not very interested in the Kong right now, or eating in general for that matter, but I'm hoping that'll get better soon.

Thanks again!