| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

refinnej wrote:
Alright, so we're going with round two of the crib this weekend (probably Sunday night starting). Any last minute tips? Still feeling uneasy about her in her own room, but hoping she can adjust without too many tears. She reaches out often in her sleepy state now in our joint bed, to make sure I'm there. Sigh. :(

Scared that this is going to be awful for her, but she's going to be crawling like any minute and is pulling up just this week, and I'm wondering if she might even be able to sorta propel herself over the pillow fort now (and I found her halfway to sitting up yesterday when I opened the curtains after we woke in the morning). In addition to all this, we need some better sleep. So, I know this is the right thing to try, but the thought of that little hand reaching for me and then the accompanying tears is killer. Whew.

I want to know how moving to the crib goes for you. Babynut has been crawling/pulling up for a few weeks and at first I lost sleep over it. I was so worried she would sit up an crawl away! But I'm more comfortable cosleeping now after noticing she stays in the same spot until she wakes up and I wake up consistently the same time she does. Still worried a bit as I cannot put mattress on the floor.

After recent car trip, I was feeling more inclined to try CIO in the crib, at least for the first sleep time of the night. We don't have a car and she is not used to the car seat at all, so any driving requires lots of crying. After awhile I started to think, how is this different than bedtime? But so far my partner is not on board with trying CIO in Ernest. But he doesn't have to nurse her to bed for god knows how long every night.

So good luck, keep us updated on how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I moved Lorelei to the crib at about 9 months to make it easier for her dad and I to get a good night's rest. We were all sharing a bed that was slightly smaller than a queen. I do not find it hard at all to wake up when she wakes up even though she is in the adjoining room. I sleep lightly and find that I wake up whenever she does, regardless of her being in a crib. We used CIO and she adjusted really quickly. I felt like it was a miracle. Before that, we had to bounce her for god knows how long and then she would just be "sleeping with one eye open" and would start wailing as soon as you laid her down. I felt trapped with her on the bed because the slightest movement would wake her and when I was alone with her, I couldn't do anything because once she was mobile I was terrified she would roll off the bed if I so much as went to the bathroom.

It had to end eventually. At least for us. Now, I nurse her to sleep at 6 pm and she lays down in her crib without a problem. She wakes up frequently when she is teething. But on a typical night we are down to only 2 night wakings. It has been wonderful the past 2 nights, but I don't want to jinx it.

Everyone is happier. I get sexy time with my man, she gets the rest she needs and I have more time to myself in the evenings after I put her to sleep to do whatever I need to do. Like cleaning or exercising. Overall it has increased my quality of life. I do not regret co-sleeping, I believe it helped me breastfeed her for as long as I have while working full time and pumping 3x a day while I was away from her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Semen Strong

After doing so well for so long, Leela is having a really rough time with sleep these days. We've gone from her going down easily to having her fight sleep again, like a ninja. She has new teeth coming in and is on the cusp of walking (she walks at home for a few steps but not yet outside). I am hoping the bad sleep is because of all the transitions.

Any thoughts to make this a bit easier?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

tofu, i have not advice beyond trying really hard to tire her out during the day? my son is a champion poor sleeper- he walks and crawls in his sleep at 3, has always slept less then recommended, and fights every sleep like its the end. Still if he is tired out, it goes so much better. But every time it gets bad, he come up with something awesome. Imaginary play was a tough one. I thought i was going to go crazy because he was up seven or eight times one night, and then bam, he started playing pretend. It was so cool to watch i almost didn't mind all that sleep i missed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I can only recommend my no-crying CIO method, but it only works if you're not afraid to leave her by herself in bed awake.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I dont think I can do this one more day. We had 3 nights of long evening sleeps, now we are back to the 40 minute bullshiitake. Night time sleep altogether ends for me between 2 and 3, then nurse nurse nurse.

Big bed, little bed, early, late... I don't care, just stay the fork asleep. Why is my own child the one that's making me crazy?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Sorry ref. Things with L got better - I think she was going through a growth spurt, getting new teeth and/or the walking stuff. She still nurses SO MUCH, but at least its while we're both asleep, so not as horrible as fighting sleep, being overtired, nursing and biting for hours.

I can't leave her alone in our big bed. I tried to see what she would do if I didn't hold her back from throwing herself out of it, and true enough, she tried to launch herself off the edge. I caught her in time.

I have been going for the exhaust the bejebus out of her approach :) Its working.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks. Feels less desperate today after a fun day in the park. Not sleeping at all during the day for a couple of days making it worse. If she would nurse and stay asleep, or if I could sleep while she nursed that would be fine. It's very frustrating being the nanny with a plan, and then coming home and wanting ever so slightly to bang my head on the wall. Since coming home from vacation, have had many days with about 3 hours sleep total for me. My body is rebelling. I can't seem to heal from the only moderate injuries I have, and now I've had this shoulder pain forever. I think I needed a whine, whine poor me moment yesterday.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Refinnej, I am so sorry, I totally feel you on all this.

I decided today that we are hiring s sleep consultant. It is expensive but fork, if I can get one night of eight hours of sleep it will be worth every single penny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Last night = very interesting (I'm scared to post, that I might jinx myself into a zero-sleep night).

Bean asleep a little past 8, usual time. One loud stir/cry (somewhere around 9:45, I think?), and then sleep until 11:55! I was having some stomach troubles, so decided to try and sleep in the recliner in the next room, a little before 11, and not disturb her (peeked to make sure she was still breathing though).

Then, nurse for 15ish minutes and back to sleep, one stirring again with maybe 2 minutes of boobies (don't know time), and then asleep until 4 am. Then was wide awake (eek) it seemed, but some boobies convinced her that sleep was good and eventually she went back down again off/on til about 6.

Yesterday morning, I'd tried to lay her in her crib while I rested. Hands pleading at me through the bars in the bed....tears....oh no. I thought sure we'd have a rough night too.

If I ever get back to 6 hours of sleep, I will be unstoppable I tell you! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just out grey to sleep. Boobed him u til sleepy, shushed a little, then just laid with him. He fell asleep. Lets see how long this lasts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Uh-oh. Our no crying CIO method has hit a snag. Malka thinks she can lower herself down from the bed now, apparently, but she can't, so she fell out of bed at nap time today. She did fine at bedtime (I wasn't home for either of these things). Not sure what to do about this. I would just get rid of our bed for a little while and put the mattress on the floor, but our bed is a) awesome and b) enormous - where would I put it in the meantime?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Heh. We had the same discussion about what to do with our giant sized mattress. Freya's just now able to get off the bed, I suspect. Hasn't tried it yet, but I"m sure she can. Will she climb over bedguards?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Bedguards come up maybe two inches over the mattress, so not so hhelpful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We just went through the co-sleep to full-time crib about a month ago. Hubs and I had transitioned to a smaller bed and the baby, at 7 months, was getting too big and mobile. Plus it made the logistics of using our room difficult and getting her to sleep was a draining process every night. We used the baby whisperer method. There were some tears involved but I did my best to never leave her side if she was really crying...fussing was a different story. It took a bit to sink in but now we lay her in her crib awake and leave after our goodnights, she fusses for a few minutes, we tuck her in again and most of the time she's off to sleep. It's like a 15 minute deal instead of 1 hour of supernursing or highly aerobic rocking. My point is, if you are making a transition, hang in there. It will get better. Like Dragonssister, I can attest to a better quality of rest/life for all of us...but it does still make me melt when she reaches for me. My compromise is that I'm a bit more cuddly on those nights and I sometimes get her from the crib early in the morning to get some snuggles. They're only this little once, right?

We used a bedrail when the baby was itty bitty. It was the Safety 1st brand and it came up pretty high. It would do us no good now, though. Madelyn would make an olympic sport out of climbing over that thing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:57 am 
Inflexitarian

Has anyone here had any experience with the Baby Merlin Magic Sleepsuit? Giles HAS to be swaddled to sleep well but he finds great pleasure in forcing his way out of the swaddle at every nap and bedtime and then crying because he isn't cozy. This sleepsuit thing looks like it might be perfect - giving him some freedom to move but still preventing the startle and keeping him toasty. Read a few positive reviews but would love to hear if any of you guys had personal experience with it. I am going back to work next week and therefore I truly desire to get this man to sleep at night in much less than then hour of on again off again reswaddling it is taking now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The best thing we found for keeping Freya in the swaddle (though she hated it with the heat of a thousand suns) was that magic blanket: http://www.miracleblanket.com/. I've heard really good things about sleeping bags, but haven't tried one yet. I think we will soon as it's getting colder here, and I'm not ready for F to have a blanket yet. (husband and I disagree about this all the freaking time, so the sleeping bag is a compromise)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thursday night was awesome, followed by two nights of hell. Now grey has a cold. Sleep, I miss you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, @sarahboberra, thanks for posting that. Some days (nights), it seems like such an utter living hell that it's hard to remember that it will end sometime. :) This week = one night with Freya rolling all over and banging her head into the headboard because she was all confused and sideways, one night awake for 2 freaking hours at 2:30 a.m., a big bite on one nipple, temper tantrums, etc. etc. K is on a business trip for just two days and then we're starting on Friday with the bed in "her room" (cross fingers that there are no sicknesses, teething, etc. before then)

I'm ready to not hurt on every part of my body. This morning, playing around (happily) after waking, she banged her head right into my eye socket. Saw stars and hurt like hell. Hips, ankle, legs, pulled muscle in shoulder, headaches, red eyes...the fun never ends, heh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So Carlos has had more trouble than usual falling asleep the last week or so. Tonight the same thing, after our bedtime nurse he was sleepy but wide awake at the same time. Kind of talkative. So we hung out for a while with a teddy bear wind up music toy. Then I put him in the crib with the toy and he started crying, I shut the door, and he stopped crying fairly quickly. I could hear him making happy noises on the monitor and it took him maybe 10 minutes to fall asleep. Anyway, I kept worrying about having a toy in the crib, mostly because of recommendations saying wait to 1 year, so I went back in and got it. Luckily he didn't wake up (he wasn't even holding it). I don't know if this was just a one time thing or this would work other times, but I'm not sure what do about having a toy in the crib. Is 7 months okay for that? Should we wait the full year? If so, why?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

What size is the toy relative him? Is it very plush or more firm? I think the issue is the suffocation risk, in which case a giant squishy teddy bear baby can sink into might be dangerous, but a small firm-ish bear probably wouldn't. I think it is very common for kids to start having a crib toy/lovey about this age. The Magician has a doll he sleeps with during naps.

We are suddenly having a ton of night waking problems with the Emperor on the cusp of his third birthday. I think it may be related to the stress of me starting school again/him going back to part time preschool... The timing lines up. Basically he wakes up around 2 or 3 am sobbing, goes to the toilet sobbing, comes back and sobs and begs to sleep in our bed (where he hasn't slept for nearly a year) and then finally, sobbingly, tosses himself onto his bed and goes to sleep again. The whole drama probably takes about 10 minutes and he doesn't remember it in the morning. It is sure having a negative impact on the rest of us though.

He had never had problems with night waking since he weaned around 20 months, so I really don't know how to handle this.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm going to jinx this writing about it, but y'all she's in the crib. Asleep. Before 8pm. Amazing.

She's been sleeping in the crib (until about five am when I bring her to bed to nurse) for about a week now but I haven't been able to put her down until around ten or later. She's such a night owl. I guess a busy day wore her out.

Don't know how long it will last but I'm going to savor it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

She pooped about forty minutes in. But went back down after nursing. We're still in this thing of sleeping before ten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Woot! Go babynut! Hoping freya does as well in the coming days.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

She slept through the night! She didn't wake up until 7 this morning so yeah, that was awesome! Don't know if it will ever happen again, but at least I have this memory.

This past week I have loved that she is sleeping in the crib, but I do miss her snuggling with me. My baby is growing up!

I hope Freya will be sleeping better soon, too.

Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next