| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: do your cats meow?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:50 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Luna has always been very vocal since we adopted her as a kitten. She mostly meows for attention but also to alert us of a bug on the wall.

Dexter is a stray we took in. He meowed a lot at first because he hadn't been fixed yet and wanted to get frisky with lady cats. After we got him fixed though, he is almost mute! He's very happy and purrs a lot, but only seems to meow at night when he wanders the apartment, or when he really wants to get my attention (empty food bowl).

Do your cats meow?

Post subject: Re: do your cats meow?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

At the moment, I am cat free. But I had inherited a very vocal elderly cat a few years ago. Not long after, we got an orphaned kitty (who very sadly died a couple of months ago, at the age of four.) The younger vat did not talk much (or we did not notice her talking much) until the older cat died. Then she began copying some of of the same sounds the olds cat had made. It was really weird (and yes, when the older cat was alive we knew it was her making those sounds because we saw her or because the younger cat would be with us and we would hear meowing from the other room.)
Also the younger cat would purr frantically and really loudly when she got super excited. (aw. I miss her lots)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kitties! My cat is vocal when she wants something (like food) but most of the time she is fairly quiet.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When my cats meow they sound like the devil. Seriously, it is the least cat-like sound ever and creeps me out every time in the middle of the night when they want in/out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:25 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Lisa does sometimes. But I don't know if you can call it "meowing" really. It sounds very odd to me. I have no idea what it is she wants when she starts doing those sounds, maybe she just likes hearing the sound of her own voice. I try to answer in the same language (I don't speak cat so I just improvise) and we can have long conversations like that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:29 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yep! Gershwin meows when he's bored and sometimes I think just to hear the sound of his own voice. Tristan is very vocal; he meows, grunts, sighs, chirps, chats, and really enjoys when I speak catanese back to him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:46 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ophelia used to meow loudly, insistently, and often, but after her stroke it seemed like she couldn't, or maybe it wasn't occurring to her to try. now she makes her "ATTEND TO ME" face and opens her mouth to yowl like she used to, but a lot of the time no sound comes out. i think she might be deaf, so i'm not sure she realizes what's happening. it's a little cute and a little sad.

kismet (he doesn't live with me now, but we stay in touch) has never been able to meow. he makes tiny, squeaky yips. i thought he would grow out of it, but he's a very big boy now, and he still makes a weensy sound. my sister's cat is sort of like Olives's cat: he made no sound at all for years and years, but then she got another cat who cried all the time, and after a while the first cat started making sounds. they are not normal--it sounds like he's gargling--but we all think it's rad that he wants to learn the catspeak.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:54 pm 
Dead by dawn

Biker boy's cats both meow a LOT, demanding attention.

I had a cat that we found as a kitten underneath a dumpster. He was squalling like a newborn baby and I don't know if he damaged his vocal cords or what, but he was nearly mute for the rest of his life. He'd open his mouth to meow at you but nothing would come out and he would get pissed if you silently meowed back at him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Marvin doesn't meow very often--just when he's excited about the possibility I'm headed for his food bowl. He also has the most quiet purr I've ever heard on a cat.

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My Max used to purr all the time but he never really meowed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Phantom was part Siamese (he didn't have the coloring, but he definitely had the head-shape) and he meowed ALL THE TIME. I'm not joking. It was pretty constant. For his entire life. I got used to it, but it would throw other people for a loop.

My cat now meows a fair amount, but usually it's because she wants pets or food or something. She doesn't meow just for the sake of meowing, unlike Phantom. Apparently that's a very Siamese thing to do I'm told.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, they both do. They're both kind of chatty, but not overly. Kizzy makes this murmuring noises which I call a greeting every time I come into the room. It's like he makes this little noise to make sure I notice him, which of course I always do. And Thurston has the cutest, plaintive little meow even though he is a full grown sturdy bruiser cat. That mewling noise coming from him can be pretty funny, it's like it belongs to a little kitten still.

I had one kitty who lived to nineteen (she as a tabby) and she was REALLY chatty. I mean, so chatty it was like having a colicky newborn for nineteen years. I'd be on the phone with someone and they'd hear her in the background and say "oh, do you have a baby?" Uh, no.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 am 
ugh

It's a mixed bag. Bing meows all the time, for any reason. Hungry? Meow. Wants attention? Meow. Wants to be left alone? Meow. A door (any door) is closed? Meow. I moved? Meow. Turned off the TV? Meow. All day, every day (and night). And he is LOUD and pathetic-sounding, like he might be in pain or just very, very sad.

Minnie Mouse (a.k.a. Minnie Meows) has adorable high-pitched meows that start out soft and cute but get louder and more persistent if the cute ones didn't get the desired result. She meows when she wants a lap, or to be pet, or to play. (If it is playtime, the meowing will be preceded by the sound of toys being dragged across the floor.) Doesn't matter what time of day/night or what I happen to be doing - I sometimes wake up to meowing, kneading, and toys dropped on top of me.

Beebee doesn't meow much, just weird little murrrr things you can barely hear when she's hungry. She does snore a lot, though.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

aww, b.vicious, i love that she brings you toys! i used to have some enthusiastic fetchers who would drop things in my lap for playtime, and i really miss it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

:) When Luna was a kitten she would carry around catnip mice and other toys and drop them on our faces to wake us up. She's a spoiled 2 year old now though and makes us do all the work! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 am 
Saggy Butt

Mine meows SO LOUDLY! He is a siamese so they are known for it and I'm mostly used to it now but sometimes when he is being particularly needy for a prolonged time it can really get on my nerves. We do have full on conversations too and I reckon most people would think I'm totally mad!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The cat my parents kept when I moved out meows a ton. He did as a kitten and still does (I hear him over the phone when I talk to my parents). He's part siamese, and basically doesn't shut up.

The cats I have meow, but not all the time. The both hiss a lot (generally to show displeasure, but sometimes for no discernible reason) and chirp/click at birds too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 pm 
WRETCHED

All day long.

I have a Siamese mix and a tortie. Both are very chatty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Diego does more of a Ow than a meow. It is seriously weird. He only does a full on meow if he is locked in a room that he isn't meant to be in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 pm 
Ninja Master

Jazzy just kind of squeaks. Sometimes there is no sound just a face! Its usually when she wants food.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My friend has conversations with his cat, it's pretty hilarious. Also, the cat will bless him when he sneezes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's a mix in our house. Kayla is mostly quiet, she is older and sleeps for the better part of the day and night. Pluto is our 1 your old, and he is chatty. He chirps, grunts and makes the weirdest cat noises I have ever heard. The newest little one, Binx is making some noises but I haven't figured him out yet. He is random and tends to huff and sigh a lot and when hes sleeping and rolls over he lets out a little noise. It's adorable! He sounds like Pluto sometimes and they are both black, it's strange.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:00 pm 
ugh

Pi. wrote:
The cat my parents kept when I moved out meows a ton. He did as a kitten and still does (I hear him over the phone when I talk to my parents). He's part siamese, and basically doesn't shut up.

The cats I have meow, but not all the time. The both hiss a lot (generally to show displeasure, but sometimes for no discernible reason) and chirp/click at birds too.

I love the chirping noises! My cats always seem embarrassed when I catch them in the act, though.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:12 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think Frisbee has made an honest meow only a handful of times, but he does chirp a lot. It almost sounds like a bird. He'll chatter at the animals outside the window too which is one of the funniest noises I've heard an animal make. I've never heard him hiss and he's lived with us for over a year now. In general he's very quiet. He's been locked in closets before and never made a noise. Rover, the cat at the bike shop, is incredibly vocal and meows all day, so we're pretty happy Fris is so quiet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My cat just makes cute little squeaks. She only meows when we are both behind closed doors (me in the shower, my boyfriend in the room), and it is the saddest sound in the world.