| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Lots of repeats today:
Strawberry smoothie, mini-bagel with cream cheese
Crackers, mango-spinach pouch at beach
Tortilla, tj tofu burger, cole slaw
Apple
Black bean, zucchini, and olive taco filling (from AFR), bread with hummus, half an avocado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Aubade, we had a playdate with a picky toddler today, and tried having the girls eat together and picky toddler ate more than normal. Apparently seeing Leela eat inspired her to eat up. Does something like that work with your childminder's kidlet?

We had:
Breakfast: tofu scramble and toast with grapes
Lunch: at the playdate we had fantastic daal, homemade roti and okra. It was unreal how good this food was. Then came home and finished off the remaining tofu scramble.
Snack: veggies and a surprise effective snack - an avocado pop made with frozen guac that otherwise was going to go to waste.
Dinner: red lentils, kale and tomato with a quarter of a pita.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Both kids (almost 3 and 7 months) had some Chana masala, brown rice, and sautéed spinach for dinner. E ate a reasonable serving of all 3 and then asked for seconds of... Spinach. He ate a ton.

M was thrilled to get to play with the spinach... I think because he'd finally got the green light to stuff leaves in his mouth, which he tries to do pretty much everywhere we go.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yesterday Carlos had 2 cheerios. Also soy yogurt, banana, and sweet potato.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:23 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made ppk beet burgers for dinner last night, and J was eating big spoons of the 'dough' and loving it, but when it came time to sit and eat a cooked patty she was having none of it. She ate a tablespoon or so of ketchup for dinner instead. sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

B-fast: yogurt, strawberries, O's
snack: rice cake, apple flavored
lunch: veg soup, bagel, cucumber, and of course, large amounts of blueberries
afternoon snack skipped, nap was delayed and she hadn't nursed really well before it, so we had boobies for snack today
dinner: loads of pasta with tomato sauce and tofu (plain, cold...she loves it), pears and I think something else I'm forgetting

Our big 4, the stuff she could eat every day: blueberries, tofu, pears, avocado

It's getting to be a lot of fun now that she's eating most everything that we eat, in the form in which we eat it. :) Still watching on spicy stuff, since she's had a couple of incidents showing that it made her uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Aubade, we had a playdate with a picky toddler today, and tried having the girls eat together and picky toddler ate more than normal. Apparently seeing Leela eat inspired her to eat up. Does something like that work with your childminder's kidlet?

Oh yeah he totally eats great with his babysitter! The wagon wheel/peas/avo mix I gave him the other day was happily eaten for lunch yesterday and today.

That's why I think it is one of two things (or a combo):
1. power play to get cookies & ice cream
2. he's too tired to eat by the end of the day.

I noticed that he's been getting sleepy as soon as he takes a few bites at dinner, so I think maybe he doesn't want to fall asleep so that's another potential reason he won't eat dinner. I would like to try feeding him sooner, but unfortunately I don't get home from work early enough.

Last night I made his favorite protein muffins and he ate some, but only about 3/4 slowly, whereas sometimes he'll eat 1.5 at lunch. Tonight same thing, and he was all excited to eat the muffin but then only ate maybe 1/4 along with an apple/carrot pouch. I'm currently 'feeding' pieces to his car to try to get him to eat more haha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Yesterday A. had a few cheerios and grapes. She's just starting to try stuff again, so that was it.

Today I'm going to give her some of the homemade chickpea burgers I have in the fridge and some minced kale. I have no idea what else she's had today, but imagine that it's been at least cheerios and strawberries and bananas. She's just at the beginning stages of eating.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: Ezekiel raisin bread and fruit
snack: watermelon
lunch: leftover daal and avocado mushed with nooch
dinner: quinoa with beets and greenbeans in an almond butter sauce.

Mental note. Remember we had beets before checking her diap tomorrow

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:48 pm 

Yeah, the beets make for a colorful diaper experience.

Am I the only one who gives her leftovers from dinner for lunch everyday? I'm not able to come up with something new all the time.

For lunch we had leftover baked tofu, udon noodles, chickpeas, and sautéed chard. Dinner was tofu scramble (I know, so much tofu!) broccoli, red peppers, and noochy toast. And fruit. She loves fruit. The other night we had sweet and sour seitan with pineapple and I was reluctant to give her the pineapple because I know that's too acidic for some people, but since it was cooked I let her try a piece. She ate the whole chunk and started crying when I didn't have another piece for her cooled off! So cute. She ate as many pieces as we could fish out for her.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:52 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Butternut, we do leftovers for lunch most days! Or I make one lunch (noodles/tofu/broccoli being a go to) and feed it to him all week. He also eats the same breakfast most days. It is hard enough for me to think of things for dinner every night without complicating other meals too!

Last night I made E a big bowl of fruit salad (nectarines, pluots, strawberries, and sharlyn melon) to have after dinner, but he got sent to bed early instead... So I let him loose on it this morning. He was thrilled and just kept coming back to the table to eat a few more bites throughout the morning. Have to remember this.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Sounds like Babynut is doing great!

And I give Leela lots of tofu too. It is always welcome as morning tofu scramble, and then I know she's proteined up. And we do lots of leftovers :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut wrote:
Am I the only one who gives her leftovers from dinner for lunch everyday? I'm not able to come up with something new all the time.

We are all about leftovers. I work full time with an hour+ commute each way, so it isn't possible to create meals from scratch every night. This means I make a crockpot of beans, muffins or batches of whatever on Sunday and eat that for a few days, then repeat on Wed. to last the rest of the week.

I try to switch things up as much as possible so it isn't always the same. Kai still seems to think leftovers are yucky. There isn't any other way right now though so I'm like sorry kid, you need to learn to love the leftovers. If it is good for mommy and daddy it is good for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 pm 

She loved scallion potato pancakes, pineapple collards, and unrefried beans (on tortillas) all from AFR tonight. Still eating as many strawberries as I can give her. I made a double batch of the potato pancakes cause I thought they would be easy to serve with lunches for a few days, so I'm glad she liked them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Yum! BButternut is getting some great meals!

L isn't really eating anything because she has tooth pain and just wants to nurse.

I gave her: tofu scramble on sesame Ezekiel toast with some grapes (tossed to the ground)
lentils, beets and green beans with quinoa (ate a few bites, tossed the rest)

Even pancakes aren't interesting her these days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

A. had a few bites of a sweet potato/regular potato mash and freshly made kettle corn. She also had a french fry she was about ready to fist fight for and I let her had and then apologized in guilt to pretty much everyone I saw while she had said french fry in her hand. This BLW thing is harder than expected. It seems like she always wants to touch everything, but actually eats very little.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Aubade wrote:

That's why I think it is one of two things (or a combo):
1. power play to get cookies & ice cream
2. he's too tired to eat by the end of the day.

Does he eat a lot the rest of the day? My daughter has always been a big breakfast and lunch eater, but dinner has always been a smaller meal. If he's really tired at that point in the day and there's no way to make dinner earlier, can you shift your focus to getting two solid meals (and maybe a healthy snack) into him earlier in the day? Maybe you already do all of this and I'm just being "that mom." Stay strong on the cookies & ice cream!

Yesterday at our house:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with raspberries & mango, then a banana

Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich, apple slices and mashed sweet potatoes

Snack: Crackers and more apples (she wanted hummus, but we were out. Apples were the consolation prize)

Dinner: Vegetable barley soup (from the freezer... no cooking for me!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Butternut wrote:

No, you are not! I plan my meals ahead of time and make sure there will be leftovers for lunch the next day for all three of us! If there aren't leftovers, my go-to is frozen homemade soup. And, more recently, peanut butter sandwiches, which I am less thrilled about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

Picky breakfast, picky dinner. Good thing lunch was in between.

B-fast: berries and peaches with yogurt, bread (refused most everything)
snack later: swedish toast (hard crusty things), part of my oat bar
lunch: gobs of pasta w/peas and tomato sauce, most of peach/yogurt from breakfast
pm snack: bread and pear (lots of bread today...eek)
dinner: bread (two bites, then floor), vegetable/rice/lentil soup (refused, even sweet potato), couple of blueberries

Good thing she's on the boob still :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut: Kai loves those unfried beans from AFR! We make those for lunch a lot.
Lizlemom: I do try to get more food into him during the day. I at least feel ok because he usually always has a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning + fruit, then a decent lunch. It is good to hear your daughter is similar, thanks for the advice!

Tonight's dinner: Bush's baked beans, brown rice w/ a little EB & salt, and steamed baby carrots. This was actually a huge hit. He had two good servings of brown rice and beans. He loves baked beans! I feel bad they're in a can, most likely with BPA I guess but I haven't been able to find any in jars. I want to make the AFR mango baked beans just haven't had a chance yet.

The carrots, not so much though. He used to love them as a first finger food, so I know it isn't that he doesn't really like them. What's not to like about sweet baby carrots?!? I think he is in an anti-veggie stage unfortunately. I've tried them with cinnamon and dill too (not at the same time) with no more luck. Tomorrow I'm going to try leftovers sauteed italian-style with a little fennel seed, garlic & sugar, we'll see if that works.

Oh and he also had watermelon for dessert.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

B: Half a blueberry scone, 6 oz blueberry smoothie
S:Slice of quinoa bread in grocery cart
L:Daiya quesadilla with spinach, pintos, ketchup, plus half an avocado, graham cracker
S:Cinnamon raisin mini bagel with EB, sliced almonds
D:Baked tempeh, kale, sweet potato, silky chickpea gravy (was mostly interested in kale, full from snack I guess)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Banana and oatmeal
Broccoli spear
Millet, avocado and chopped basil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:00 pm 

mitten, how do you make kale for Walter? I love love kale, but wasn't so sure if it was baby-friendly. Freya will nibble/experiment with leaves, but doesn't really dig them yet. I do get some greens into her in pasta sauce, soup, etc.

Today, we had:

Breakfast: few blueberries, yogurt, o's, nibbles of bread
a.m. snack: pear and fresh tomato bread from the bakery (oh my Lard that was good)
Lunch: sauteed seitan, avocado, fresh peaches
pm snack: part of a digestive, attempted apple rings...I think she's not really yet convinced that they are food, heh.
dinner: sweet/sour tofu (some plain too), nibbles of cauliflower and pepper..refused eggplant, liked rice noodles

I am going to have to check out AFR!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Breakfast: Blueberry Puffy Pillow Pancakes (from theppk blog) dipped in applesauce, a banana.

Lunch: Quinoa salad (leftover from last night, with tomatoes, cucumber and red onion) with lots of avocado.

Snack: Mini zucchini muffins

Dinner: Pasta with tomato sauce, Tofurkey sausage and spinach.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oooh we had a new dish that was a winner tonight. Wuhoo!

Gnocchi (Colavita, from Sam's club, not homemade so super easy!) & (frozen) green peas with this cashew alfredo sauce from vegweb. The only thing I changed was added a bit of freshly grated nutmeg and black pepper to the sauce.

He loved it and ate two servings!

It was the first time I made this alfredo sauce (and I grew up on real italian alfredo so I'm picky). It was really tasty, only problem was it didn't thicken up quite enough. But I would definitely make it again, I like that it isn't tofu based and doesn't have a lot of oil. Plus it was easy to make.

Reading everyone's menus, I get so jealous of all the soy products. I called CHOP last week to do the allergy test for Kai, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I hope he grew out of it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next