| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Up and Coming Cookbooks 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone heard anything about/tested for Cookin' Crunk by Bianca Phillips or Vegan Food Gifts by Joni Marie Newman? I have a lot of cookbooks, but I'm feeling a bit excited for these.
What's coming up that you're excited for, and when's it due?

Post subject: Re: Up and Coming Cookbooks 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

I ordered Cookin Crunk. If Amazon ever ships it to me, I'll let you know what I think.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm excited about Terry's Vegan Eats World. I haven't seen any sample recipes, tester photos, table of contents, etc. But it's Terry, so obviously it'll be amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:18 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Cookin' Crunk isn't available in stores yet but it looks like it will be good. I've had some of Bianca's stuff and highly recommend it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LaurenL wrote:
I'm excited about Terry's Vegan Eats World. I haven't seen any sample recipes, tester photos, table of contents, etc. But it's Terry, so obviously it'll be amazing.

I tried some recipes and it is going to be so good. She has a couple on her blog.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LaurenL wrote:

I tested for this and even pre-release, it's already my favourite cookbook. I blogged about a few tester recipes here, but have been meaning to update with (a lot) more- I might try to do that tonight! But there are a ton of recipes in there that have become staples in my house already, the dumplings and Thai curries especially. And I've made her new seitan recipes a ton, I prefer them to the VV ones. You should definitely be excited about it!

I'm really looking forward to Joni's book too, the concept is right up my alley. I've bookmarked the jalapeno jam recipe she posted on her blog and I can't wait to see some more similar stuff. I've gotten super into preserving lately so it'll be great to have some creative new recipes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
Chard Martyr

I also tested for Vegan Eats World and it is going to be AMAZING.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just looked up vegan eats world on amazon and i really like the cover.
i like that it's an international cuisine book. i love ethnic recipe but i cant come up with them on my own (probaby because i am the whitest girl on the planet)

im looking forward to this now!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Robin Robertson's new slow cooker book will be released at the end of this month.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Gluten Free & Vegan Breads should be out son as well. (which I've now decided I want thanks to Kittee and Julie Hasson. They are mean)

I have Joni's Vegan Food Gifts pre ordered along with Vegan eats World. (I even bought a canning pot in preparation!)

Happy Herbivore's third book (it's an international one as well) has either come out, or is coming out.

the Chinese Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klien (Christmas time)

Virgin Vegan (Oct 1st)

that's what my amazon email tells me anyway.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh, yeah, Terry's book! I didn't realize that was coming out so soon, as well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There's also Tamasin Noyes's Grills Gone Vegan but I have no release date.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm really looking forward to Grills Gone Vegan, but heard it got pushed back? Upsetting, I want that book!

I tested for Terry's. So good.

Robin Asbell's Sweet & Easy Vegan is due out the 19th. I hope they'll open up the Look Inside feature so I can check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I always think Terry's book comes out this month and get sadly disappointed when I realize I'm off by over a month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I saw "Sweet & Easy Vegan" at work.
It looked interesting. Hardcover and unique recipes. If I can snag it again I'll see iwhat more is in it :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
Cookin' Crunk isn't available in stores yet but it looks like it will be good. I've had some of Bianca's stuff and highly recommend it.

agreed, it looks like a fun book! i should check to see if there is a preview on amazon yet....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm SO excited for Vegan Eats World!

Debating on whether to get the 3rd Happy Herbivore book (due December)...I'll probably wait until the Amazon "Look Inside" feature is up.

For cookbooks due after 2012, I cannot wait for Isa Does It (Fall 2013) and the Oh She Glows cookbook (2014). The Chocolate Covered Katie cookbook might be good too!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Celine and Tami's Whole Grain cookbook is available for pre-order. (which I've done :D).

I emailed Bianca for a shipping quote for Cookin Crunk. :) (still waiting).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

My copy of Cookin Crunk arrived. Even though I have a decent number of Southern type cookbooks, this one has some unique recipes. It also uses whole grains and whole grain flours where possible, so I can pretend I'm being healthy. My only complaint is that a number of recipes call for vegan cheese (I hate store-bought vegan cheese), but it seems like the cheese can be omitted in many of those recipes. (To be clear, the majority of recipes don't call for cheese -- but there are definitely a substantial minority that do).

I haven't cooked anything from the book yet, so a review is premature. I'll probably start a new thread when I'm ready to actually cook something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Does anyone know when the soft-cover version of Vegan Eats World will be released? I'm pretty sure it's only the hardcover that's coming out next month, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PoesiePie wrote:
Does anyone know when the soft-cover version of Vegan Eats World will be released? I'm pretty sure it's only the hardcover that's coming out next month, right?

I'm not sure if there is going to be a paperback edition of that cookbook. Is it common for hardback cookbooks to be released as paperbacks like regular books are? When new fiction and non-fiction books are released in hardback, it almost always takes about a year for the paperback to be released.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
PoesiePie wrote:

I'm not sure if there is going to be a paperback edition of that cookbook. Is it common for hardback cookbooks to be released as paperbacks like regular books are? When new fiction and non-fiction books are released in hardback, it almost always takes about a year for the paperback to be released.

Veganomicon was released in paperback, although nearly 3 years after the hardcover, according to Amazon.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bcakes wrote:
My copy of Cookin Crunk arrived. Even though I have a decent number of Southern type cookbooks, this one has some unique recipes. It also uses whole grains and whole grain flours where possible, so I can pretend I'm being healthy. My only complaint is that a number of recipes call for vegan cheese (I hate store-bought vegan cheese), but it seems like the cheese can be omitted in many of those recipes. (To be clear, the majority of recipes don't call for cheese -- but there are definitely a substantial minority that do).

I haven't cooked anything from the book yet, so a review is premature. I'll probably start a new thread when I'm ready to actually cook something.

This book has definitely piqued my interest and I'm thinking of buying it. I do swoon for a good table of contents or organized chapters. Does the table of contest list every single recipe and/or does each chapter page list the recipes in each chapter? I know a cookbook can still have fantastic recipes inside without my preferred organization ;) but I swoon for a well organized cookbook.

There still isn't a preview on amazon :( Can you share the chapter titles or anything??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
PoesiePie wrote:

Veganomicon was released in paperback, although nearly 3 years after the hardcover, according to Amazon.

Nope, it wasn't that's a mistake. It is definitely uncommon for cookbooks in hardback to be released in softcover.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:42 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm looking forward to Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Kitchen. The recipes are from Chad Sarno (and some from a few other chefs, I believe). I was not a big fan of her Crazy Sexy Diet book (I wanted to throw it across the room, actually, for a number of reasons), but she seems like a delightful, positive person; and right now I'm most excited by really healthy recipes (because I need them).

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Sexy-Kitche ... 3AHESLDQD0

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next