| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:57 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5619
Location: A New England
Desdemona wrote:
(Stop trying to fight with me, you contrarian blackguard!)
FootFace wrote:
Too late! I'm in the groove!
Very well, then - have at thee!

Image

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
I'm the one on the left.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Notavandownbytheriver
FootFace wrote:
I'm the one on the left.


Meta-pun!

_________________
"So often I wish Adam were a real boy." - interrobang?!
"If he was you'd hear him farting at the back of your yoga class." - 8ball


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:31 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
Like I said: on a roll.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 am 
Online
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 4588
Location: zomgz dijk
In sum: http://stroppyeditor.wordpress.com/2012 ... rammarian/

_________________
ॐ लोकः समासतः सुखिनो भवन्तु
http://www.embracingtheworld.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5619
Location: A New England
lutin wrote:
This. Is awesome. Particularly since I once wrote a parody of the same song for a G & S obsessed colleague; only in that case it began "I am the very model of an arms and armor curator..." (Nothing nerdy about that!)

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
And along those lines (kind of), here's a script I wrote years ago for a medical editors' conference my dad attended. He and some other editors performed this thing. It's longish, so I'm spoilerizing it.

Spoiler: show
QUINCY, MEDICAL EDITOR
"If Words Could Kill"

EXT. BUS STOP - DAY
A man sits on a bench while browsing through a thick sheaf of white pages. He notices something alarming on one of the pages and stops to scrutinize it. He clutches at his chest.

MAN
My heart!

Still reading, he grabs his head with both hands, and the pages tumble off his lap and onto the ground around him.

MAN
My brain!

A police officer strolls up to the bench and looks disapprovingly at all the paper strewn on the ground.

OFFICER
Hey, Litter-bug! How about a little civic-minded responsibility here?

A couple of passersby mill around. The man slumps and then slides all the way off the bench. A woman SCREAMS.
More people gather around, helpless.

A man pushes his way through the crowd. This is EDITOR QUINCY, MEDICAL EDITOR.

QUINCY
Please! Let me through! I'm an editor!

Kneeling beside the body, Quincy undoes his little black doctor's bag. He withdraws a pair of reading glasses and puts them on. He picks up a piece of paper from the ground.

QUINCY
(reading)
"As an oncology specialist with thirty years' experience, the new radiation treatment holds great promise."

Quincy is deeply troubled. He shakes his head. SAM, an earnest young man in a lab coat, cuts through the crowd and kneels beside Quincy.

SAM
What happened, Editor?

Quincy hands Sam the page he'd been reading. Sam skims it.

SAM
Oh my god. But this means...

QUINCY
That's right, Sam: Acute Dystextia.

The crowd MURMURS anxiously.

CROWD-MEMBER
Dystextia -- what's that?

QUINCY
In layman's terms, junk writing.

SAM
Look at these columns! The formatting's way off!

OFFICER
(losing control)
I told him to stop littering! I -- I didn't know!

QUINCY
(rising)
Get ahold of yourself, officer.
(poking the patch on the officer's shoulder)
And have that patch correctly punctuated.

SAM
Quince! We're losing him!

QUINCY
(lost in thought)
What kind of sick mind abbreviates Police Department "P-D-period"?

SAM
Editor Quincy!

Quincy regains his composure and looks to Sam, who has picked up another page.

SAM
We've got uncontrolled logorrhea.

QUINCY
On top of his hyper-irregardless-osis, that could be disastrous. We need to operate. Now.

SAM
Here? The light's failing, and there's no flat surface! We'll develop cricks in our necks! Not to mention eyestrain!

QUINCY
I don't know about you, Sam, but I remember when I took an oath...
(raises his right hand solemnly)
To bring readability and clarity to reports and articles of all kinds.

SAM
Shouldn't we at least wait until the document is stabilized?

QUINCY
(determined, heroic)
Waiting would be editorial malpractice, Sam. This man -- I mean, this manuscript needs surgery now.

Quincy stands up and addresses the crowd of nervous onlookers.

QUINCY
Does anyone have a blue pencil?

OFFICER
You heard the editor! Does anyone have a blue pencil in their pocket or purse?

QUINCY
(disgusted)
In their pocket. Whatever happened to singular possessives in cases like these?
(to the officer)
People look up to you!

An old woman holds up an eyebrow pencil.

OLD WOMAN
I have an eyebrow pencil. But it's not blue. It's...
(checks the pencil)
Auburn Serenade.

QUINCY
(takes the pencil)
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

OLD WOMAN
Spiro Agnew, right?

QUINCY
Dammit, I'm an editor, not a fact-checker!

SAM
Editor, it's worse than we thought: Superhyphenation, apostrophitis, and I don't have the foggiest idea where the antecedent to this pronoun is! And look at this.

Sam holds up a page. Quincy takes it and reads.

QUINCY
If you're not sure how it's spelled, look it up. Is that so hard?
(takes a breath, gathers his strength, looks to Sam)
Let's save some copy.

Quincy kneels by the body, amid the scattered pages.

A child of five or six walks toward Quincy and Sam. She reaches innocently for one of the pages by her feet.

Quincy grabs her wrist before she can touch the paper.

QUINCY
No! Sam, the pages!

Sam brushes the "poison" pages away, out of reach.

A young woman runs up to the little girl and whisks her away, a worried look on her face.

Quincy gets to work.

QUINCY
Hold it steady -- all these paragraphs need to come out.

SAM
Okay, Quince, I've got it! Go!

Quincy crosses out whole paragraphs with the eyebrow pencil, while Sam steadies the pages.

He scribbles in the margins. He reads passages, his eyes skipping madly across the page, sweat running down his forehead.

QUINCY
(mumbling to himself as he reads)
... see table 5b ... statistical analyses indicate ... well, this isn't helping!

He tears a whole section out of a page.

QUINCY
(still mumbling to himself, as he flips through the pages)
... in conclusion ...

CROWD-MEMBER
I never knew three hours could fly by like that!

Finally, the work done, Sam collects all the pages and stacks them neatly. The end of a tough job. The mood is lighter. They've turned a corner.

SAM
The Passive Voice Index is down to point-oh-five. He's going to be fine. You did it, Quince.

The man stirs. He MOANS.

QUINCY
We did it, Sam.

The man sits up slowly, dazed.

MAN
My manuscript! Is it okay?

QUINCY
(meaningful look to the audience)
It is now.

We hear a SIREN. Two paramedics dash into the scene, pushing a gurney.

PARAMEDIC
Editor Quincy, are we glad you were on scene!

The paramedics lift the man onto the gurney. Quincy pats the man on the shoulder and gives him a thumbs up.

QUINCY
Take good care of him, Flanagan.

The paramedics wheel the man away.

The crowd is now gathered around Quincy.

QUINCY
We all love the editor, sure, but how often do we give him the credit he deserves? Until editing gets the same attention as, say, rock 'n' roll singing or jet piloting...
(makes eye contact with members of the crowd)
... any one of us could be the next to face this kind of catastrophe. Good editing saves lives.

Lots of nodding and MURMURING from the crowd.

EPILOGUE:

SAM
(joining Quincy)
Quince, what's this? It was among the man's papers.

Sam hands Quincy a receipt.

QUINCY
It's a receipt from Tony's Copy Shop.
(reads further)
My god!

The crowd is alarmed.

The full impact registers on Quincy's face.

QUINCY
He made a hundred copies! We could have an epidemic on our hands!

TO BE CONTINUED

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 am 
Online
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 4588
Location: zomgz dijk
I read all of that. (And was thoroughly entertained.)

_________________
ॐ लोकः समासतः सुखिनो भवन्तु
http://www.embracingtheworld.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3010
That was some of the best Quincy fan-fic I've ever read.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5619
Location: A New England
just mumbles wrote:
That was some of the best Quincy fan-fic I've ever read.
And this is not praise to be given lightly!

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:55 am 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2116
Location: Munich, finally!
Awesome!!!

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:55 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5188
Footie, I looooooved Quincy (actually, I wanted to be a forensic pathologist myself for a time as a young'un influenced, to some extent, by that show) and your script was hilarious and awesome!

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:41 pm 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
crowderpea wrote:
Speaking of accents, my grandfather worked really hard to eliminate his very heavy southern Appalachian accent so that he could "pass" as a non-mountain person. He only completed about three grade years before he went to college for the first time. That college was a farm/college at the time, so I guess he spent his time copying flatlander accents and shoveling poo. Once it was all said and done, he had a PhD from Vanderbilt and fancied himself quite the intellect. Eventually he wrote a book celebrating his Appalachian heritage and trying to preserve some of the local words and whatnot. I think he regretted abandoning that part of his heritage for so long, but felt that he had to do so to accomplish his goals.

That was kindof rambling! I guess I just want to say I hope that we get to a point where someone can be successful regardless of their dialect/accent, but I also see a value in a standardized formal English for use in professional writing. I also think that standardized form will continue to evolve.

From an English major and grammar nerd who also has mad respect for her 'sang huntin' ancestors.


What's the book? I'd love to read it!

I have a classmate who super-adapted to the southern App accent. He sounded like his family lived up in a cove about 6 generations back and just made it out. His parents were from Massachusetts and met doing Americorps!

And I've got a very slight accent now that i've been down here 5 years. (how's that for grammar!)

I know I've lost some grammar and spelling skills. I have an ex, who came from a more privileged background than my own (talk about grammar, that sounds weird) and I wouldn't correct her spelling but if we were chatting online and we were talking about something and she misspelled and I didn't correct it, but I spelled it correct when I replied on the topic. I would also use bigger words. She was really manipulative and emotionally abusive and basically shamed me into dumbing down my writing (in less formal settings), and I don't know if it ever fully recovered. This was over 10 years ago and we only dated 5 months...but it has really turned me into someone who won't take seriously anyone who uses no punctuation in a message on OKCupid.

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
I didn't know there was a Newfie accent and dialect. Reading the wiki article, I'm trying to figure out how t say "yeah" on an inhalation. I can't figure out how to talk in at all. My throat hurts from trying.

I really love dialects, and it makes me sad that they are fading/homogenizing away. I want to go to Okracoke in the hope that I'll hear the brogue but its probably harder to catch nowadays. I had a classmate from Okracoke, but her parents weren't so she didn't have it.

Now I want to watch The Story of English again. Its all on youtube.

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
Ok wait, it just sounds like a loud whisper?



eta- Oh no! My first comment! "correctly"

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 pm 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
interrobang?! wrote:
nor's a fankle



In other news, you are really hot.

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:47 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3135
Location: BKLN
FootFace wrote:
And along those lines (kind of), here's a script I wrote years ago for a medical editors' conference my dad attended. He and some other editors performed this thing. It's longish, so I'm spoilerizing it.

Spoiler: show
QUINCY, MEDICAL EDITOR
"If Words Could Kill"

EXT. BUS STOP - DAY
A man sits on a bench while browsing through a thick sheaf of white pages. He notices something alarming on one of the pages and stops to scrutinize it. He clutches at his chest.

MAN
My heart!

Still reading, he grabs his head with both hands, and the pages tumble off his lap and onto the ground around him.

MAN
My brain!

A police officer strolls up to the bench and looks disapprovingly at all the paper strewn on the ground.

OFFICER
Hey, Litter-bug! How about a little civic-minded responsibility here?

A couple of passersby mill around. The man slumps and then slides all the way off the bench. A woman SCREAMS.
More people gather around, helpless.

A man pushes his way through the crowd. This is EDITOR QUINCY, MEDICAL EDITOR.

QUINCY
Please! Let me through! I'm an editor!

Kneeling beside the body, Quincy undoes his little black doctor's bag. He withdraws a pair of reading glasses and puts them on. He picks up a piece of paper from the ground.

QUINCY
(reading)
"As an oncology specialist with thirty years' experience, the new radiation treatment holds great promise."

Quincy is deeply troubled. He shakes his head. SAM, an earnest young man in a lab coat, cuts through the crowd and kneels beside Quincy.

SAM
What happened, Editor?

Quincy hands Sam the page he'd been reading. Sam skims it.

SAM
Oh my god. But this means...

QUINCY
That's right, Sam: Acute Dystextia.

The crowd MURMURS anxiously.

CROWD-MEMBER
Dystextia -- what's that?

QUINCY
In layman's terms, junk writing.

SAM
Look at these columns! The formatting's way off!

OFFICER
(losing control)
I told him to stop littering! I -- I didn't know!

QUINCY
(rising)
Get ahold of yourself, officer.
(poking the patch on the officer's shoulder)
And have that patch correctly punctuated.

SAM
Quince! We're losing him!

QUINCY
(lost in thought)
What kind of sick mind abbreviates Police Department "P-D-period"?

SAM
Editor Quincy!

Quincy regains his composure and looks to Sam, who has picked up another page.

SAM
We've got uncontrolled logorrhea.

QUINCY
On top of his hyper-irregardless-osis, that could be disastrous. We need to operate. Now.

SAM
Here? The light's failing, and there's no flat surface! We'll develop cricks in our necks! Not to mention eyestrain!

QUINCY
I don't know about you, Sam, but I remember when I took an oath...
(raises his right hand solemnly)
To bring readability and clarity to reports and articles of all kinds.

SAM
Shouldn't we at least wait until the document is stabilized?

QUINCY
(determined, heroic)
Waiting would be editorial malpractice, Sam. This man -- I mean, this manuscript needs surgery now.

Quincy stands up and addresses the crowd of nervous onlookers.

QUINCY
Does anyone have a blue pencil?

OFFICER
You heard the editor! Does anyone have a blue pencil in their pocket or purse?

QUINCY
(disgusted)
In their pocket. Whatever happened to singular possessives in cases like these?
(to the officer)
People look up to you!

An old woman holds up an eyebrow pencil.

OLD WOMAN
I have an eyebrow pencil. But it's not blue. It's...
(checks the pencil)
Auburn Serenade.

QUINCY
(takes the pencil)
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

OLD WOMAN
Spiro Agnew, right?

QUINCY
Dammit, I'm an editor, not a fact-checker!

SAM
Editor, it's worse than we thought: Superhyphenation, apostrophitis, and I don't have the foggiest idea where the antecedent to this pronoun is! And look at this.

Sam holds up a page. Quincy takes it and reads.

QUINCY
If you're not sure how it's spelled, look it up. Is that so hard?
(takes a breath, gathers his strength, looks to Sam)
Let's save some copy.

Quincy kneels by the body, amid the scattered pages.

A child of five or six walks toward Quincy and Sam. She reaches innocently for one of the pages by her feet.

Quincy grabs her wrist before she can touch the paper.

QUINCY
No! Sam, the pages!

Sam brushes the "poison" pages away, out of reach.

A young woman runs up to the little girl and whisks her away, a worried look on her face.

Quincy gets to work.

QUINCY
Hold it steady -- all these paragraphs need to come out.

SAM
Okay, Quince, I've got it! Go!

Quincy crosses out whole paragraphs with the eyebrow pencil, while Sam steadies the pages.

He scribbles in the margins. He reads passages, his eyes skipping madly across the page, sweat running down his forehead.

QUINCY
(mumbling to himself as he reads)
... see table 5b ... statistical analyses indicate ... well, this isn't helping!

He tears a whole section out of a page.

QUINCY
(still mumbling to himself, as he flips through the pages)
... in conclusion ...

CROWD-MEMBER
I never knew three hours could fly by like that!

Finally, the work done, Sam collects all the pages and stacks them neatly. The end of a tough job. The mood is lighter. They've turned a corner.

SAM
The Passive Voice Index is down to point-oh-five. He's going to be fine. You did it, Quince.

The man stirs. He MOANS.

QUINCY
We did it, Sam.

The man sits up slowly, dazed.

MAN
My manuscript! Is it okay?

QUINCY
(meaningful look to the audience)
It is now.

We hear a SIREN. Two paramedics dash into the scene, pushing a gurney.

PARAMEDIC
Editor Quincy, are we glad you were on scene!

The paramedics lift the man onto the gurney. Quincy pats the man on the shoulder and gives him a thumbs up.

QUINCY
Take good care of him, Flanagan.

The paramedics wheel the man away.

The crowd is now gathered around Quincy.

QUINCY
We all love the editor, sure, but how often do we give him the credit he deserves? Until editing gets the same attention as, say, rock 'n' roll singing or jet piloting...
(makes eye contact with members of the crowd)
... any one of us could be the next to face this kind of catastrophe. Good editing saves lives.

Lots of nodding and MURMURING from the crowd.

EPILOGUE:

SAM
(joining Quincy)
Quince, what's this? It was among the man's papers.

Sam hands Quincy a receipt.

QUINCY
It's a receipt from Tony's Copy Shop.
(reads further)
My god!

The crowd is alarmed.

The full impact registers on Quincy's face.

QUINCY
He made a hundred copies! We could have an epidemic on our hands!

TO BE CONTINUED


Image

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:44 am 
Online
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 4588
Location: zomgz dijk
ha!

_________________
ॐ लोकः समासतः सुखिनो भवन्तु
http://www.embracingtheworld.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4058
Location: Austin
Image
http://xkcd.com/1108/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:59 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: East Tennessee!
lycophyte wrote:

What's the book? I'd love to read it!


It is called Reminiscences of an Appalachian . He published it himself about twenty years ago, so there are about five copies besides the ones in the regional libraries. It's actually really cute; he wrote it in third person. I am sure my grandmother was thrilled with the little anecdote where one of his eight siblings said, upon first meeting her, "You looked better in your picture."

_________________
Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends.
~ George Bernard Shaw


"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 am 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
crowderpea wrote:
lycophyte wrote:

What's the book? I'd love to read it!


It is called Reminiscences of an Appalachian . He published it himself about twenty years ago, so there are about five copies besides the ones in the regional libraries. It's actually really cute; he wrote it in third person. I am sure my grandmother was thrilled with the little anecdote where one of his eight siblings said, upon first meeting her, "You looked better in your picture."


Wow, I'm surprised the local universities here don't have it! Alas. Lucky your grandmother gave him a chance.

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: East Tennessee!
lycophyte wrote:
crowderpea wrote:
lycophyte wrote:

What's the book? I'd love to read it!


It is called Reminiscences of an Appalachian . He published it himself about twenty years ago, so there are about five copies besides the ones in the regional libraries. It's actually really cute; he wrote it in third person. I am sure my grandmother was thrilled with the little anecdote where one of his eight siblings said, upon first meeting her, "You looked better in your picture."


Wow, I'm surprised the local universities here don't have it! Alas. Lucky your grandmother gave him a chance.


Well, she came all the way from Colorado by herself on a train, and they had already written each other pretty racy letters. So I think she had pretty much decided already, lucky him. They were quite the epic couple. They met because my grandfather was traveling with a circus. I have pictures of them in each others' clothes while they were "courting"; my grandfather makes a hideous woman, but my grandmother was pretty foxy in mens' clothing. Then she traveled across the country to marry him, and they proceeded to raise five kids on the $0 my grandfather made as a preacher; meanwhile, he put himself through grad school at Vanderbilt. They were married for over 70 years!

_________________
Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends.
~ George Bernard Shaw


"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5619
Location: A New England
crowderpea wrote:
Well, she came all the way from Colorado by herself on a train, and they had already written each other pretty racy letters. So I think she had pretty much decided already, lucky him. They were quite the epic couple. They met because my grandfather was traveling with a circus. I have pictures of them in each others' clothes while they were "courting"; my grandfather makes a hideous woman, but my grandmother was pretty foxy in mens' clothing. Then she traveled across the country to marry him, and they proceeded to raise five kids on the $0 my grandfather made as a preacher; meanwhile, he put himself through grad school at Vanderbilt. They were married for over 70 years!
What a wonderful story; thanks for sharing it!

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: East Tennessee!
Desdemona wrote:
crowderpea wrote:
Well, she came all the way from Colorado by herself on a train, and they had already written each other pretty racy letters. So I think she had pretty much decided already, lucky him. They were quite the epic couple. They met because my grandfather was traveling with a circus. I have pictures of them in each others' clothes while they were "courting"; my grandfather makes a hideous woman, but my grandmother was pretty foxy in mens' clothing. Then she traveled across the country to marry him, and they proceeded to raise five kids on the $0 my grandfather made as a preacher; meanwhile, he put himself through grad school at Vanderbilt. They were married for over 70 years!
What a wonderful story; thanks for sharing it!


Every time I think about it, I am fascinated all over again. I could talk about those two forever.

One last fun fact: the cabin my grandfather was wallpapered with old newspapers, and he taught himself to read by reading the walls!

Okay, this is the last fun (but not vegan) fact: my grandmother had a shadowbox full of the rattles from when she was teaching by herself (before she met grandpa) in the sandhills, and would find rattle snakes in the play yard and have to kill them with a broom handle and a knife.

Okay, this really is the last one: I have a 75-year-old picture of my grandmother wearing pants AND rock climbing. In heels.

_________________
Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends.
~ George Bernard Shaw


"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grammar and a Culture of Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 pm 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
So cute amd awesome!

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer