| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bum wiping
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Oh PPK, fount of knowledge of all things poop-related! I hope you can help me!

I'm babysitting for a child age 3 1/2 this weekend. I'm admittedly not the most experienced babysitter -- I did some back when I was in high school, and I've worked with older kids a fair amount, but this will be my first time as "the adult" in charge of a child that young for an extended period of time. The email I just got from the child's parent mentioned that while the child is toilet-trained, an adult still needs to help with bum wiping.

So, I'm not freaked out by poop that much, I'm cool with the idea of wiping a bum as necessary. It's just that I've never wiped a bum that isn't mine before! And since I know all you parents have, I'm hoping you can give me some guidance. What do I do?? Does the kid stay sitting on the toilet while you wipe their bum or do they stand up and bend over or something? How do I make sure I'm not hurting the kid? What do I need to know to be able to do this confidently and with minimal awkwardness for the kid?

Post subject: Re: Bum wiping
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm 
Semen Strong

I would ask the parent how the kid prefers it, just because I imagine the answer might be as individual as the kid :) You are so conscientious and kind, your kid-friend is lucky to have you!

Just remember that front to back is your friend :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have wiped a lot of bums, and different kids do different things. At that age, the kid can probably let you know what they prefer, but I'm sure the parents will be happy to let you know too!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

with my toilet training kid, i have her hold on to my legs facing me so i can lift one leg a little to wipe her bum. with an older child, i expect you could have them lean forward on the toilet seat a little and wipe from behind as well (my 2.5 year old wouldn't have the dexterity to do that). they might not need you to help much at all, really, maybe just a little coaching and check with a wet wipe at the end.

if you have a situation that is very messy for some reason, popping them in the tub and rinsing off that way is a good idea. if you are not sure about how well the cleaning went that day, (if the kid is shy, or wants to do it themselves) definitely have get them in the tub at the end of the day.

you can ask, like tofulish said, but i wouldn't expect a 3.5 year old to necessarily be able to explain what they need too clearly. it depends on the kid. you guys will figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh and I don't think you need to worry about hurting the kid? I mean, how easily could you hurt yourself while wiping? And the kid most likely won't feel awkward because they are used to adults wiping them, it's going to seem totally normal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

oh god I hope she doesn't read this 10 years from now but my girl stands up and bends forward a bit. I usually use a wet wipe but these days she's been good with just TP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

use wet wipes! that'll be your guarantee for not hurting tender bum skin. in fact, if you're not overly familiar with babysitting toddlers and preschoolers, my number one tip is TAKE WET WIPES (chances are the parents have them, but even so) and keep them with you at all times.

wet wipes. a miracle of modern technology, they are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 pm 
And you never will.

YES to wet wipes. Less wiping, more thorough cleaning, gentler on skin (in fact, if you're not using wet wipes on yourself, you should really consider it). When my little guy poops in the toilet (and not in his nappy), I just put him on the floor and have him lean forward over the toilet with his legs spread a bit so I can wipe. At that age, the small person you will be looking after will probably 'assume the position' on hir own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've wiped many a little bum in my life. My younger brother was a toddler when I was in high school, and for some reason, he really wanted me to be the one to wipe his bum. From what I remember, he either stood up and leaned over, or leaned over on the toilet--he took the lead depending on what was most comfortable or struck his fancy at the time. I never hurt him, even with dry TP, but wet wipes will pretty much guarantee you won't hurt them, and as others have said, you can ask the parents if you need extra reassurance.

Kids that age are generally completely secure in their bodies around adults caring for them. I didn't start feeling awkward until my mom told me I had to start wear pants around the house.

It's no biggie, but it's awesome that you're concerned! You'll be great!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I sit on the tub and bend the boy over my leg to get at his bottom. I use wet wipes or dampened toilet paper. I CAN'T WAIT until he is big enough to do this himself.

But yes, ask how he prefers it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

littlebird wrote:
tender bum skin

The devil has told you that! The devil has told you that!!!

::rips self in half::

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

solipsistnation wrote:
I sit on the tub and bend the boy over my leg to get at his bottom. I use wet wipes or dampened toilet paper. I CAN'T WAIT until he is big enough to do this himself.

Seriously? I just have him stand up and turn around.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm 
And you never will.

coldandsleepy wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

Proof that the kid probably won't even care.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm 
And you never will.

just mumbles wrote:
littlebird wrote:
tender bum skin

The devil has told you that! The devil has told you that!!!

::rips self in half::

I see what you did there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This is a very amusing conversation and I'd like to add that it's probably easier to wipe someone else's butt than your own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

coldandsleepy wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

How do you get up in there? He's mostly a very tidy pooper, but sometimes it's smeary and stuff. I guess I don't want to have to poke my fingers up there any more firmly than I have to.

Regarding putting this conversation on the internet: This is hardly the most detail I've seen about children posted online. PARENTS ARE THE WORST.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:04 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Turns out the kid only poops once a day, when instructed to do so by her parents! I can't even imagine only pooping once a day but, okay! Guess I won't have to wipe anyone else's butt after all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gosh, I would love to poop once a day only! I find kids poop is way easier to deal with than adults. If an adult poops in their pants it gets all trapped and dried in hairs. Not so nice to have to clean up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 am 
Saggy Butt

daisychain wrote:
Gosh, I would love to poop once a day only! I find kids poop is way easier to deal with than adults. If an adult poops in their pants it gets all trapped and dried in hairs. Not so nice to have to clean up.

I have no experience with children but I find other adults bottom much more difficult to clean. And women are worse, because there are more creases you don't want poo trapped in, but you don't want to shove the wipe up there and hurt them!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

choirqueer wrote:
Turns out the kid only poops once a day, when instructed to do so by her parents! I can't even imagine only pooping once a day but, okay! Guess I won't have to wipe anyone else's butt after all.

That is so weird. I never heard of that, saving up your poop for a poop-on-command request. Weird!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

WHAT? Pooping ONLY on COMMAND? How did this happen, and is 3 years old too late to start?

I wonder what would happen if one simply, um, "forgot" to instruct the child to poop for a day or two.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i usually only poop once a day, but never on command!!! how is that possible? my body tells ME when it's ready. not the other way around.