| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: I had to leave my dog at the emergency vet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thank you all. I keep coming back to this thread and reading all the nice things people have said. I'm going to go visit Sable soon, and I will tell her that lots of people are thinking of her. And I can give her a hug, which I haven't been able to do since yesterday. Right now my bunny is taking care of me and being very sweet. Usually she isn't much of a lap bunny, but she just sat on my lap for a really long time and kept nudging me with her nose. I think she knows I'm sad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm 
Impressive boner

Take all the bun love you can get and give Sable a great big hug when you see her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My love and hugs to you and Sable, and I am so glad you get to go see her later! I'm rooting for you both!

I've been through something really similar to what you're going through now and it's SO HARD, and it's even worse when all the people around you seem to be processing everything like it's a normal day in the life. Everybody upthread is right... you are absolutely allowed to be devastated and cry and have trouble coping with everything right now so don't let your mom's responses get to you. Hang in there!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm so sorry. This sucks. I've been in the "waiting to find out if it's cancer or something equally horrible or something treatable" stage and it's so awful. Of course you have feelings. It's crazy stressful and scary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh RC, I'm so sorry. I wish you had more IRL support. Best wishes to Sable.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What everybody here has been saying!

I was in a total panic when Molly had her beak injury a couple months ago. I about had a total melt down. The emergency vet also told me all sorts of scary potentials.

Try to focus on what you know right now, and don't worry about the what ifs. I know: easy to say.

Lots of love.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Lots of hugs RC. I wish I could say something that would make everything better but words don't have that power yet. Just know Sable and you are in all our thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

So much love for you right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Definitely don't apologize! If you can word vomit anywhere, it's the ppk.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I told Sable that so many people were thinking of her. I felt better seeing her. I could hug her and snuggle with her which I have missed so much. She was getting a blood transfusion when I got there, which I thought would be scarier than it was. It was just an IV bag of blood. I don't know what I was thinking it would be. The blood was donated by a pit bull named Lucy, and there was a card on the front of Sable's cage that said "Feel better soon! Love Lucy" with a photo of Lucy and I thought that was so nice. I almost cried just from thinking of that dog donating blood to help Sable.

My friend drove over an hour to be there with us. She had interned at the hospital a few months ago, so she knew a couple of the vets. Sable was so happy to see her. She tried to get up to say hi, which we couldn't let her do because she was still hooked up to the blood. But after all the blood was gone, they disconnected her and let us walk her outside. She needed a little help, but she walked out to the grass in front of the hospital and she peed. But then she got tired and fell down and we had to really help her back to the cage. I don't know how much of her tiredness is from being sick and how much is from the fact they gave her methadone (yes, methadone!) last night. So we got her back on her bed, and I brought one of her stuffed toys so she would have something that smelled of home. She started to fall asleep, so I thought we could leave while she was sleeping. But as soon as I stood up, she woke up and looked at me, and I had to tell her I would visit tomorrow and walk away. And that was so so hard. My friend asked if I wanted to go get something to eat, and at first I was going to say no, but then I thought it would be better than going home into my empty room. So we went and ate, and I guess it was okay. But my friend had asked the vets if she could take a look at Sable's file when we were there, and when I asked if any bloodwork was back, she said yes, but when I asked what it said, she said "Umm, I can't tell you." and I asked why, and she said it was because she didn't really know how to interpret that kind of bloodwork yet. But I'm really scared by the way she said it that what she saw was bad and she just doesn't want to be the one to tell me. I made it through supper without crying, though, even though I'm sure I looked like hell. But afterwards when my friend hugged me goodbye I started up again. And then I had to come back home and it is so hard walking into the house when I know Sable isn't here. I hate being in my room, because she is usually in her crate when I'm on the laptop, and it seems so wrong that she's not there. And I don't think I'll sleep again tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just saw this. I hope Sable will be okay. My cats and I will think good thoughts for her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This is the dog who went in today and donated blood for Sable. I just found out she is a rescue dog who came from a cruelty situation. She was adopted and her adopter signed her up as a donor dog to give back. Now she is a part of Sable. Thank you, Lucy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! Lucy is so pretty. Sending good things for Sable (who is now part Pittie). :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

we used to put those cards up at angell, too; they really are so sweet. i think they encouraged a lot of people to have their dogs donate blood once they were feeling better, which was awesome. i would have let them try to get blood out of my cat, but she never weighed enough (so tiny!). i'm glad you got in some good cuddles and that sable is feeling at least a little bit stronger. i hope she keeps improving. i know it's so hard to have to wait and to try to get through a normal day when your bestie is away; try to be brave (but not too brave). *hug*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thinking good thoughts for you and Sable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I hope all the best for Sable & I hope you get to take her home tomorrow. Transfusions can do amazing things...I hope this is
one of those times! Hugs from North Idaho.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks. I assume the vet will call us with the results of the bloodwork tomorrow. I'm dreading it because I'm afraid it will be bad news. And it's really hard to sleep because I keep automatically looking over at her crate and it's still kind of a shock each time to see she isn't there. So maybe I just will watch netflix or something until I'm too tired to stay awake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just saw this thread, and I am rooting for you and Sable with all my heart. Please keep us updated.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:58 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Love to you and Sable. Praying she is feeling better and gets to come home to you soon. <3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahhh Lucy! <3 what a hero pup!
i wanted to sign my dog up to give blood but it turns out the closest place was Angell in Boston which is NOT close to us and my dog is super reactive to other dogs.
although Tufts is pretty close to us so maybe i just didnt know that at the time and should look into it now.

my other dog is petrified of the vet so taking him to the vet to donate blood would probably go horribly.

so glad you got to see Sable!!!
hopefully her bloodwork will reveal something positive.
i wouldnt worry too much about the fact that the girl couldnt tell you anything. that's a huge liability issue. only the dr can tell you. if she told you something wrong (either positive and negative) just think of the emotional stress it could cause. i remember when i was sick for awhile (turns out i was just lactose intolerant) but they thought it was my gall bladder and sent me to get an ultrasound and the u/s tech told me 1000 times she couldnt tell me anything even if she saw something. i had to wait for a dr to read it.
it's just the way it is. i wouldn't stress too much about her not telling you. im thinking it was more that she isnt allowed to tell you rather than she saw something horrible and didnt want to be the one to break the news.

fingers and toes and paws crossed for good news for Sable!!!!!

and like everyone said if you need a place to cry and be worried and just word vomit cause you're scared, please come do it here. no one is judging you. this is a super duper scary thing to go through and i would be the exact same way. the ER vet is nothing but SCARY! everytime i have been there there have been gallons of tears regardless of what was going on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

What LisaPunk said about your friend not being able to interpret the blood work. It sounds like she's being responsible and doesn't want to guess at something if she isn't sure.

Lots of love and I hope you get good news today!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:12 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Thirded.

Still thinking about you and sending you lots of love!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

This sounds silly, but i've logged over 300 hours in Plants vs. Zombies between Bonny dying and Chester's hip surgery. I had to leave him at the vet for two different days and the mindless click-click-click helps pass the time and it's not anything you really have to thing about.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
What LisaPunk said about your friend not being able to interpret the blood work. It sounds like she's being responsible and doesn't want to guess at something if she isn't sure.

Absolutely. I know it sounds ominous when a medical professional won't disclose info but medical professionals really hate committing to any point of view without absolute facts and full knowledge/information to back it up in my experience (I've worked for doctors for 24 years now) and I don't blame them. It's hard not to interpret their silence as negative though when they won't comment but don't read too much into it.

<3 <3 <3 So much love to you and Sable right now. I know it's rough.

Shout out to Lucy for donating blood! Huggles from afar to her even though she don't know me, I'm counting on some ESP for her to pick up my thankful vibes...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This was the update this morning:

She is "still critical but stable".

Sable's RBC went up to 27 after the transfusion (I think it was like 22 before) and was up to 30 this morning. I want to find the donor dog Lucy and give her a hug!

The subcutaneous bleeding on her hind end is not spreading (they had shaved part of her leg and her groin area so they can keep an eye on where the bruising ends and whether it is spreading).

The swelling around her hocks has gone down a bit.

The vet said the bloodwork wasn't back yet. We wanted to say "yes it is!" because my friend saw it in the computer last night. But we didn't want to argue with the vet!

They are aggressively treating for every possibility, since they are still not 100% sure what the cause is. So she is on prednisone now in case she has immune mediated anemia. I hate pred because of the side effects, but I know Sable needs all the help she can get right now. She is still on fluids and antibiotics and they are watching to see if she needs another transfusion.

I brought in her food from home yesterday. They said she is licking at food a bit when they offer it to her but not really eating. But she's not the type of dog who will eat themselves sick; if she feels even a little queasy, she won't eat at all.

They asked if it was normal for her to go into deep sleeps where it is hard to wake her up, and we told them yes! When she is in deep sleep, you can lift up her head and let go and it will drop to the ground all limp and she won't even wake up. It always has scared the crepe out of me, but that's just what she's like.

They were late in calling today, because they had a lot of emergencies come in. They tell you they'll call every day before 11am, but they didn't call until after. So of course I was super worried all morning that she had taken a turn for the worse. I had to go in to work today because I skipped yesterday. It was really difficult taking care of the dogs because it all reminded me of Sable. When I was mixing up the dog food with supplements, it reminded me of getting my dog's food ready. I kept grabbing the nearest animals and sobbing on them periodically throughout the morning. I may have traumatised a few animals. I am going to see Sable again tonight. Can everyone keep thinking good thoughts for her please? I really appreciate it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next