| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Cornelie wrote:
Oh dear, now I have a fan club :-P
You see? Never question the charisma of medieval cemeteries!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:57 am 
Inflexitarian

Juggling two simultaneous projects. Aaaaahhh.

We do two (non-simultaneous) mini-projects in the first year and a bit before starting our actual thesis project. Current mini-project needs to be wrapped up within the month. But, for the project I'm going to do for my thesis, I need to apply for some telescope time, the deadline for which is September 20th, which means getting up to speed enough to sound really convincing really fast. Also, the deadline for proposals is within a week or two of the deadline for the report regarding my current mini-project. Also also, coursework and TAing start soon. Friig.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

You can do it, Tea!

(Telescope time! Now tell us what you study! PM's are awesome, too.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Proposal for my Major Research Project is due in 2 weeks and then I have to find my supervisors and then I have to work on it enough to update them twice a month on progress. Also, I need to find the time to get my paperwork so I can get paid by the school for being a TA (Why did I pick school in Canada?).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:02 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm in the opening stages of researching for a paper on the effects of language contact between Old English and Insular Celtic languages and that is really exciting. One of the great things about postgraduate study is that you can read things that would otherwise mark you as a nerdy nerd. Saying "it's for research" suddenly makes it okay.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 am 

Gulliver: My former housemate just finished an MA thesis on Romani dialects in contact with Finnish. It was awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

lutin wrote:
You can do it, Tea!

(Telescope time! Now tell us what you study! PM's are awesome, too.)

Stellar streams! Picture a globular cluster (basically a big, densely packed sphere of stars) getting stars torn off of it by tidal forces (like the tides on earth, but with a bunch of stars and they actually escape). They end up forming a pair of long tail-like structures. These aren't smooth though; they're clumpy and riddled with gaps and overdensities caused by a variety of things. One possibility, the one I'm interested in, is that it might come from substructure in the Milky Way's dark matter halo. But, it also might just arise naturally. We need better data!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:31 am 

Tea wrote:
Stellar streams! Picture a globular cluster (basically a big, densely packed sphere of stars) getting stars torn off of it by tidal forces (like the tides on earth, but with a bunch of stars and they actually escape). They end up forming a pair of long tail-like structures. These aren't smooth though; they're clumpy and riddled with gaps and overdensities caused by a variety of things. One possibility, the one I'm interested in, is that it might come from substructure in the Milky Way's dark matter halo. But, it also might just arise naturally. We need better data!

Cool!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes, that is very cool! I love astronomy, but my brain does not bend the right way to actually comprehend it :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:22 am 

Cornelie wrote:
Yes, that is very cool! I love astronomy, but my brain does not bend the right way to actually comprehend it :-)
This is true of me as well. I really like watching astronomy documentaries, but it's mostly because of all the whooshy graphics and explanation of how big space is. I like how big space is and how it it so big it's actually hard to think about.

I don't understand why poets get all emo about infinity; instead of staring up at beautiful emptiness, you should look around you at the riotous carnival of life that is going on all over the planet. Astronomers have it the right way round; if you're going to stare into the heavens, getting really overexcited is exactly what you should do.

I'm really, really enjoying starting this project I'm doing. Anything involving history and primary sources is cool. You are looking at something that someone wrote down hundreds, or thousands, of years ago. A human mind created wove those words into meaningful sentences and a human hand inscribed them - you're looking at an echo of someone's actions who you can never meet from another culture in another time, and by looking at what they wrote and how they lived, we can get an idea of who they were... it's the nearest we can get to necromancy. Bloody marvellous. Sorry, I'm rambling, but it's only among other nerdy people that I can nerd out fully and not be looked at like I'm barking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Gulliver wrote:
Anything involving history and primary sources is cool. You are looking at something that someone wrote down hundreds, or thousands, of years ago. A human mind created wove those words into meaningful sentences and a human hand inscribed them - you're looking at an echo of someone's actions who you can never meet from another culture in another time, and by looking at what they wrote and how they lived, we can get an idea of who they were... it's the nearest we can get to necromancy. Bloody marvellous.

Thank you for reminding me how amazing it actually is! I get bogged down by the enormous mass that is my potential dataset sometimes and forget that I'm not just 'gathering data'. Each and every tiny detail in my data represents a gesture or action performed by a living human being (or other animal) 1500 years ago. My data WILL help me to see what those people were up too, even if doesn't always feel like that when I'm filling the endless list of records in my database.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Today is my last day at my job; next week I move to Manchester to go back to school. I'm only doing part-time study (international fees are ridonk), but my excitedpants are laundered and ironed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:39 pm 
Kale Wreath

Oh man, worst morning ever.

I'm TAing for this first-year Master's seminar, I have no idea why my prof asked me to do it (my program is big and most people never do TA work) because I feel completely incompetent. I have never taken the course before (it was developed after I went through first-year) and when I was asked, I assumed that I would just be marking papers. No-no, I'm supposed to lead class discussions on the readings and explain all these things I don't have an answer to. And the readings are almost entirely new to me. And I wasn't aware of this until the beginning of the first class. My prof is super-disorganized and gave me a brief overview 20 mins before the class started, and then it went. The class split into 3 groups for the last hour, lead by me, the other TA and my prof. I was able to generate discussion for about 15 minutes using very basic questions, and then there was silence and I couldn't think of what to say and I freaked out and pulled the other TA aside and was like "I don't know what the hell I'm doing". He gave me some ideas and I came back and continued, but I think I lost all credibility with the students. I'm so bad at pretending to be confident and like I know what I'm doing when I don't.

Now I know how the class is going to go and how to prepare for next week, but I'm so scared that one of the students will contact the prof and say that the discussion was completely useless and I am a terrible TA. I really hope nobody does that. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I thought it was impossible to procrastinate in grad school, but I'm procrastinating. Did anyone else have a fear about committing to the topic for their final paper, project, or thesis?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:27 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

pistachiorose wrote:
Oh man, worst morning ever.

I'm TAing for this first-year Master's seminar, I have no idea why my prof asked me to do it (my program is big and most people never do TA work) because I feel completely incompetent. I have never taken the course before (it was developed after I went through first-year) and when I was asked, I assumed that I would just be marking papers. No-no, I'm supposed to lead class discussions on the readings and explain all these things I don't have an answer to. And the readings are almost entirely new to me. And I wasn't aware of this until the beginning of the first class. My prof is super-disorganized and gave me a brief overview 20 mins before the class started, and then it went. The class split into 3 groups for the last hour, lead by me, the other TA and my prof. I was able to generate discussion for about 15 minutes using very basic questions, and then there was silence and I couldn't think of what to say and I freaked out and pulled the other TA aside and was like "I don't know what the hell I'm doing". He gave me some ideas and I came back and continued, but I think I lost all credibility with the students. I'm so bad at pretending to be confident and like I know what I'm doing when I don't.

Now I know how the class is going to go and how to prepare for next week, but I'm so scared that one of the students will contact the prof and say that the discussion was completely useless and I am a terrible TA. I really hope nobody does that. Ugh.

aah, that's the worst! I hope it gets better!

I am having a shitty time trying to incorporate feedback from different committee members. Writing the dissertation is a piece of cake compared to dealing with faculty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Die, weekend classes, DIE!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Today was actually one of the more tolerable weekend classes we've had in a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

finnophile wrote:
I thought it was impossible to procrastinate in grad school, but I'm procrastinating. Did anyone else have a fear about committing to the topic for their final paper, project, or thesis?

That is pretty much all I did while in grad school the first time.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 am 

I've just written 500 words on the Northern Subject Rule claiming that this non-standard feature of English is of Celtic influence and my brain will explode soon. I just need to argue against it, then quash that argument by saying basically "Oh, come off it, now you're just being silly" and then get cracking on the "periphrastic do".

On a completely unrelated matter, what do you use to manage your references? I've just started using Zotero and it's tolerable, but I'm sure there are better things available.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 am 
Inflexitarian

I have a giant unwieldy bibtex file that I keep adding to and reusing. It's a terrible idea and you shouldn't be like me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:43 am 

Mendeley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm on academic probation. yay . . .
I can't believe 2 Cs is all it takes to put someone on probation. This sure ain't undergrad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Any minute now...I am waiting to be buried alive by the massive amount of work I have to do.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 am 
Flounceiad 2011

AutumnLeaves wrote:
Any minute now...I am waiting to be buried alive by the massive amount of work I have to do.
Yup.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 am 

I feel like we should all invest in quality snorkel gear (to help us breathe).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 62  Next