| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Wow the pics on this thread are awesome!

before i got my vita-mix (yay!) and the book came out (i got them almost simoultaneously) i was making cashew cheese in my osterizer with powdered pro-biotics (i had no idea about the rejuvelac). i could only make about 4-6oz of well-soaked nuts at a time and had to add a lot of liquid that then had to be strained out. it was pretty good but the vita-mix makes it so much easier AND the rejuvelac is way better (and of course, much less expensive).

i was intimidated by making rejuvelac but IT IS SO EASY. i made mine with brown rice because it's what i had around and it worked great!

I'm going to try the cheese made with oats next!

thank you Miyoko - what a SUPER book.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ummmm, yes. Please ignore (most of) my previous posts. I thought my basic cashew cheese had turned rotten overnight each time, but no. Actually it was just much sharper than I had expected, and, well, I didn't really know what to expect, I guess. Congratulations on all the good work! I'm looking forward to getting back into this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Miyoko, PoesiePie and I did a small cheese making workshop at a festival in Amsterdam today. We demonstrated your fondue and the fresh mozzarella and people LOVED it (we credited you and gave them links to your book and website etc.). I think your recipes really helped to plant some new seeds of veganism in the audience. (and solved PoesiePie's rotten cheese problem.. :-))

Many Dutch people are big cheese-lovers so it is a very important step to show them that tasty cheese is possible for vegans too. Your recipes are just so good!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I make rejuvelac with quinoa! It sprouts fast, the taste is pleasant and it sort of has a slight smokey flavor.

I just ordered the book too! I cannot wait to get it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:39 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cornelie wrote:
Miyoko, PoesiePie and I did a small cheese making workshop at a festival in Amsterdam today. We demonstrated your fondue and the fresh mozzarella and people LOVED it (we credited you and gave them links to your book and website etc.). I think your recipes really helped to plant some new seeds of veganism in the audience. (and solved PoesiePie's rotten cheese problem.. :-))

Many Dutch people are big cheese-lovers so it is a very important step to show them that tasty cheese is possible for vegans too. Your recipes are just so good!

Yay! That's great!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks, Miyoko. Your article was helpful. The cheese has gotten firmer in the past few days. (I need to work on my patience.) Kittee, I haven't tried the air dried method yet. I wasn't sure if any place in my house would be cool enough for that right now. I figure if the kitchen is warm enough to ferment the cheese, it's probably too warm for the air drying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've got a small block of air-dried parmesan on the go, and the sharp cheddar (which I vow not to touch for 3 months) in the fridge. I hope it's cool enough in here for the parmesan!
Need to restock a few things, but I really want to try the provolone. That used to be one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

PoesiePie wrote:
I've got a small block of air-dried parmesan on the go, and the sharp cheddar (which I vow not to touch for 3 months) in the fridge. I hope it's cool enough in here for the parmesan!
Need to restock a few things, but I really want to try the provolone. That used to be one of my favorites.

If your kitchen is warm, mat I suggest that you dip the parmesan and cheddar in some white wine? It's a new trick of mine. Works well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've already started it, earlier today, but would it be okay if I waited until tomorrow (when I can get to the shops) to dip in the wine? It's not really hot in here, but I'd like to stay on the safe side. And the sharp cheddar is already in the fridge. Would you dip that in wine as well, or, were you referring to air-dried cheddar, only? Also, my parmesan is still pretty wet. I don't think it would take to dipping just jet, but I could gently brush some on...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

zinnia wrote:
Thanks, Miyoko. Your article was helpful. The cheese has gotten firmer in the past few days. (I need to work on my patience.) Kittee, I haven't tried the air dried method yet. I wasn't sure if any place in my house would be cool enough for that right now. I figure if the kitchen is warm enough to ferment the cheese, it's probably too warm for the air drying.

Mine was out during a heat wave and it did crack alot, but it didn't really affect the texture or flavor of the cheese (in a bad way). I also mashed my fresh not very cultured mozz with pesto last night, and stuffed it into homemade raviolis. super yum.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just put my first batch of brie in the fridge to set. Judging from what I licked off the spatula the taste is spot-on. I've missed brie so, so very much!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Do y'all think my quinoa rejuvelac is still potent? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if it's spoiled, but does it die off in the fridge? Mine's pushing a month in the fridge.

xo
ittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've used month-old rj and it worked fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a sharp cheddar on the go- it has been sitting out for 24 hours and is delicious, just wonderful. Should I thicken it and put it in the fridge now (assuming I don't eat the whole lot with a spoon!), or does it get even better if I wait another day?! It's warmish here, but not very hot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cgvegan wrote:
I have a sharp cheddar on the go- it has been sitting out for 24 hours and is delicious, just wonderful. Should I thicken it and put it in the fridge now (assuming I don't eat the whole lot with a spoon!), or does it get even better if I wait another day?! It's warmish here, but not very hot.

I can't answer whether or not you just refrigerate it now. It's a matter of taste, of how sharp you like it. It depends on the ambient temperature. If you like it as it is, go ahead and thicken it. In my kitchen, it typically takes 48 - 72 hours before it is sharp enough for my tastes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Generally I liked them very sharp in my pregan days, it is lovely right now but I could go sharper... Is the increased sharpness the only effect of the continued culturing or is there a risk of anything unpleasant?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 pm 

Miyoko, while we have you on the line (and BTW, THANK YOU for all the ongoing support!), I am about to launch on the Oat American Cheese but couldn't find anything by the name of "mild brown miso." I found some that looked medium brown called Yamajirushi Tsubu Jikomi - do you know if that will work?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cgvegan wrote:
Generally I liked them very sharp in my pregan days, it is lovely right now but I could go sharper... Is the increased sharpness the only effect of the continued culturing or is there a risk of anything unpleasant?

It depends, but generally, it just gets sharper. Of course, you don't want to leave it on your counter for days and days.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

lululuv wrote:
Miyoko, while we have you on the line (and BTW, THANK YOU for all the ongoing support!), I am about to launch on the Oat American Cheese but couldn't find anything by the name of "mild brown miso." I found some that looked medium brown called Yamajirushi Tsubu Jikomi - do you know if that will work?

Thanks again!

There is nothing called mild brown miso. It's just a description of the color (actually, it says medium brown miso). Yamajirushi is just a brand name. Tsubu jikomi means that there are chunky things in it. You just want something that looks medium brown, not white, and not too red or dark. The chunks will puree out, so it should work.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:40 pm 

miyokoschinner wrote:
lululuv wrote:

Thanks again!

There is nothing called mild brown miso. It's just a description of the color (actually, it says medium brown miso). Yamajirushi is just a brand name. Tsubu jikomi means that there are chunky things in it. You just want something that looks medium brown, not white, and not too red or dark. The chunks will puree out, so it should work.

oops I meant to write medium brown miso instead of mild brown miso. silly me. Anyway, thank you, Miyoko - i'm on my way!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

pub cheddar on the counter culturing. yogurt on the deck culturing, aiming for the air dried gouda.

pakupaku

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't think I ever reported on the air-dried Parmesan. I can't say it tasted quite like parm, but it was sharp and pungent and delicious. I would say a little less than half made it to the the stage where it could be grated because I kept eating chunks of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

What's the difference in the finished product between the sharp cheddar and the air dried cheddar? My sharp cheddar is now on the fridge, I'm not going to touch it for three months!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ive got my cashews soaking...tomorrow I will start making the following:

Cashew yogurt
Air dried cheddar
gruyere
brown piquant
bleu cheese
cream cheese (I made this before and its sooo good--going to turn it into the sundried tomato/garlic spread)

very excited to have an arsenal of cheese processing in my house! And so much better than the store stuff--I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! Going to make fondue with the gruyere...wine, pears, apples, veggies, GF bread and a bottle of nice wine will make a lovely fall dinner.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Cgvegan wrote:
What's the difference in the finished product between the sharp cheddar and the air dried cheddar? My sharp cheddar is now on the fridge, I'm not going to touch it for three months!

I didn't age mine that long, but there was a textural and flavor difference between mine. I could spread the sharp cheddar and the air dried cheddar was sliceable.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 60  Next