| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

Whew, I'm glad to hear that, Jess. You know how I feel about you and all the wonderful things you eat. I'd hate to disappoint!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tamasin wrote:
Yes, you can sub the tapioca starch. I happen to really like the texture that the mini pearls (like in Minute) bring to the slices because they are a bit more pronounced. But yes, absolutely you can sub.

Awesome, I was just here to ask the same thing! We don't have Minute tapioca here- there's some ball-shaped stuff but I have no idea whether it's the same kind of thing.

The meat(less)ball subs were a total hit with Boyfriend, he's asked that they go into our regular rotation. I've made him a meatball sub once before using the wheatballs from the Candle 79 book, but he preferred this recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tami, I love it when authors "butt in" nicely. Who knows your recipes better than you? Plus I think feedback is probably helpful for you, too.

Anyway, I finally made something! I started with the Party Monster and it was so good. I also went on a crazy seitan making spree and made the No Clucks, Moo-free, Gobbler Slices, Mushroom Tomato slices, and three types of sausages. (Mostly for the freezer. Premade seitan is a life saver when you're a student!)

The sandwich was really, really good but I made the mistake of stealing a piece of bread off the sandwich after dinner and it is by far about the best bread I've ever made, and I've made a lot of bread. All of the other flavors hid it a little too much so I can't wait to make it in loaf form and make more simple sandwiches with it. Nom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tamasin wrote:
Whew, I'm glad to hear that, Jess. You know how I feel about you and all the wonderful things you eat. I'd hate to disappoint!

Oh, pish, no worries! Hey, sometimes folks like stuff, sometimes they don't. The Almighty BLTs went over really well tonight! I made a batch of the Gobbler seitan, too. Will try soon!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:53 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I found some of the meatballs in the freezer last night so we had subs too. I'm not admitting how long they've been there but they were still great!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the green monster bread today, turning half of it into rolls and half into bagels. So good! I thought it wasn't going to work out for me because it didn't rise nearly as much as my bread doughs usually do, so I gave it a bit longer and even though it never quite doubled, it all worked out perfectly in the end. I guess it's just too cold here at the moment to find a warm enough spot for the dough to rise properly. It was worth the worrying though, because they're super delicious.

Bagels!

I used one to make the incredible green sandwich, which I loved. I think I'll make more of them for work lunches this week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:14 am 
Cranky

I may have had some super coconutty milk or something. I was surprised that the garlic and the miso didn't come through, since it really should have worked!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm hoping to make the Mushroom Tomato slices tonight. I was tragically short on vital wheat gluten last night and the Dagwood is calling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:45 am 
Nailed to the V

You guys are amazing and incredible and I love seeing how you are tackling the book. BTW, those meatball subs were a particular favorite of my husband.

Bekki, last week I had *no* seitan in the freezer for a few days, which is totally unlike me. I nearly had a panic attack.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I ordered this book a week ago but haven't received it yet. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a new cookbook! And this thread isn't really helping.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tami, that's funny! There are now three varieties of seitan in my fridge (spicy sausages I made last week, tomato mushroom and gobbler - and some tempeh bacon!) and I'm in whoa.

Dagwoods should be up tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vegan sandwiches totally saved the day last night- I couldn't be bothered going to the shops, but I had all the ingredients for chickpea shawarmas. Really tasty and I especially loved the yoghurt in them. I made some homemade pita bread to serve them in, which was extra-awesome!

I need to get seitan-making soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:49 am 
Saggy Butt

Erinnerung wrote:
I made the green monster bread today, turning half of it into rolls and half into bagels. So good! I thought it wasn't going to work out for me because it didn't rise nearly as much as my bread doughs usually do, so I gave it a bit longer and even though it never quite doubled, it all worked out perfectly in the end. I guess it's just too cold here at the moment to find a warm enough spot for the dough to rise properly. It was worth the worrying though, because they're super delicious.

Mine didn't rise well either, wondering if it was my yeast (never sure if "instant" is different than just regular dry yeast). I let it rise way longer than the suggested time and it never doubled. My loaf was rather dense but very tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Liz_D wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

Mine didn't rise well either, wondering if it was my yeast (never sure if "instant" is different than just regular dry yeast). I let it rise way longer than the suggested time and it never doubled. My loaf was rather dense but very tasty.

Yes, there is a difference!
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/faqs/baking/yeast

If, for example, you use active dry yeast in a recipe that calls for instant yeast, you should still dissolve the yeast in a bit of water (it needs to be activated). With instant yeast you don't have to do that. If you used active dry yeast instead of instant yeast in that recipe, this might have been the culprit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I have conquered the bierocks this morning as my first attempt from this book. Hail the sauerkraut stuffed rye bread! These are really good.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Dagwoods were intense!!!! I mean, not that it's a shocker. I used the spread from the BLTs, piled them high and pierced them through.
As for the seitan, I'm a super salt fiend and would make the Gobbler slices a *tad* saltier next time but they did capture that herbed, tofurkey dryness, and dug the mushroom tomato and the level of smokey heat in them. http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.c ... 8666_7.jpg

Next up, Julialegume has requested the ranch onion ring burgers and the watermelon miso wraps...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Liz_D wrote:

I used instant, but I'm pretty sure the temperature is my issue. The pita bread I made the other night didn't rise as much as usual either, I guess my house is just too cold at the moment. And I just moved house and haven't found my optimum warm dough-rising spot in the new place yet!

My rolls are pretty dense too, but I don't mind it. I've been making more green sandwiches for work lunches this week and the density means that they're holding up really well, with no soggy bread by lunch time. And yeah, definitely very tasty!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

Retro KFC-Style Sandwich was great, would have been even bettter if I'd had lettuce/tomato, but just on a bun with the sauce was good. Next time I make the cutlets I need to get them thinner/more even, just to make them easier to coat/cook.

The PB Banana Bacon sandwich was good, I think if I'd made the chickpeas a day before they would have been better in the sandwich, they seemed to get stronger after sitting a while, rather than making the sandwich immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the Mango-Basil wraps for dinner last night, with corn on the cob and cantaloupe. Perfect summer food! We threw in plain baked tofu cubes and subbed shredded carrots for the sprouts. So delicious! I'm thrilled and plan to try the nut waffle-wich for breakfast tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Erinnerung wrote:
I used instant, but I'm pretty sure the temperature is my issue. The pita bread I made the other night didn't rise as much as usual either, I guess my house is just too cold at the moment. And I just moved house and haven't found my optimum warm dough-rising spot in the new place yet!

When I lived in Italy, the house in winter would get pretty cold. So if I was hanging out in my room during the afternoon, my mother would stick the dough under the blankets in my bed. Since I would be mostly on the bed myself, me and the dough would keep each other company.

It was worth it for when my mother then would make pizza or panzerotti (translation: busted bellies)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hey, I just realized that the index of this book is cross-referenced by type of bread!

Like, I have pita bread. And I looked up pita bread in the index. And there is a list of sandwiches that can be served on pita bread. Also, bagels, tortillas, and English muffins. How cool is that?

Well done, ladies!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:42 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The index of this book is the best. The fact that I am listed in the index is of course not related to that fact.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 am 
Nailed to the V

my little goal (I am going to be buying a lot of VGF) is to make a lot of different things with the seitan recipes - but make them into sausages. I decided to do a tiny little "splurge" this week and get the Field Roast Apple Sage (my favourite). and in my J/J project there are a lot of sausage called for, and I'm like it's always nice, you know to have hot dogs and stuff. (I think a frank is a BIG hot dog, right?) so I am going to see if the no-clucks, gobblers and moo free sausage up as well as they cutlet up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hi, I haven't read all 6 pages of this thread so I don't know if this question has been asked or not.....

I don't have a waffle-iron (I have strongly hinted to my hubby that I would like one for Xmas) and I'm wondering if I can use the waffle batter to make pancakes instead? Not having made up any of the waffle batter yet, I'm wondering if it whips up a bit "thick," if I could just thin it out with a bit of water or soymilk and make pancakes instead.

Marked a bunch of recipes to try last night! Am excited since this is one of the cookbook's for the challenge!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:57 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Angelina wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

When I lived in Italy, the house in winter would get pretty cold. So if I was hanging out in my room during the afternoon, my mother would stick the dough under the blankets in my bed. Since I would be mostly on the bed myself, me and the dough would keep each other company.

It was worth it for when my mother then would make pizza or panzerotti (translation: busted bellies)

A good way to help the dough rise is to turn on your oven for a minute, turn it off, and set your dough inside to rise. It won't be hot enough to cook anything, but the little bit of extra warmth should encourage proofing.

In college, I used to set my bowl of dough on top of the ancient gas furnace in my living room. What a life-saver!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next