| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seeking nerdy crafters or developers for a charity raffle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

are you or do you know a crafter who works on nerdy themes? or, perhaps, do you know someone who works in the games industry? would you want to offer an item in our raffle to benefit Child's Play? last year we managed to raise 3,417.90, (and made it on to the silver sponsor list over on child's play's site!! go take a look!) this year, our goal will be 5,000. (and if you can't donate, could you help spread the word once this year's event page is active? exposure is just as valuable as a direct donation. after all, if you don't have people buying raffle tickets, the prizes are kind of pointless, no?)

p.s. i already asked panders, so no need to suggest her to me. :-)

All sponsors are prominently featured on that year's event page and also tweeted by @8bbcharity

If you would like to check out our past events and read more about Child's Play, here are some links:
http://www.8bitbrigade.com/content.php?126-philanthropy
http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

i'll make a new post once the event page is up, and ready for tickets to be claimed. (the raffle will be held october 28th)

Post subject: Re: seeking nerdy crafters or developers for a charity raffl
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm a crafter and I'd consider myself a nerd. I knit, but I'm not sure what I'd make since most of my knitting is not nerd related, though I know there are things I could do. (I've made a Jayne hat in the past)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 am 

a jayne hat would be perfect! do you have an etsy store i should put on the sponsors page, or should i reference you as an individual donor? however you want me to list you, is how it'll go. <3

and it's up to you whether you want to send it to me or directly to the winner. (they both have their perks. extra time to craft the item vs. being able to show it to the "audience" during the drawing; saving on shipping costs vs. being able to bundle it with another prize and on and on.) so you can choose, and we'll work with that.

thank you so much! we're building a way more unique prize pool than previous years. (hopefully that brings in more raffle ticket buyers to help us smash our goal) <3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:07 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Have you guys tried asking Wil Wheaton if he'll donate something or mention it on twitter?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:20 am 

no. i suppose it couldn't hurt! thanks for the suggestion. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm 

We can try to get ALL the nerdy famous people to retweet it. If you got Misha Collins (not a gamer, but someone who does a lot of charity work, has his own charity, etc), you'd get a toooonnn of people hearing about it. Nathan fillion for that matter as a well.

When do I have to finish it be for it to be included in the showing off? I don't have an etsy page (I should really work on my knitting and actually start having an etsy page eventually), so I think I'm an individual donor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:54 pm 

if you're running slightly short on time, and you can get a photo to me when it's done, so i can include it in the prize gallery, it can take it's time getting here in time for the raffle on the 28th. (but don't kill yourself to get it done before then. if it's not ready, we will list it in the prize list without a photo, and you can send it directly to the winner after the raffle is over. no big deal at all.) if you just manage to finish it on the 27th, send a photo, and we can just show the photo to the audience instead of the hat itself. it's fine.

and thanks for suggestions of nerd tweeters. :-)
how do you want to be listed? lillian p of veganappetite.blogspot.com? do you have a twitter account?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

OMG you work for Child's Play?!?! That is one of my favourite charities!! When do you need to know by? I am super nerdy and I love knitting so I might be able to pull something off :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:37 pm 

nonono! i don't work for them (i wish! my husband actually sent his resume to them when they were hiring a year or two ago. he must have been on the bottom of the pile. :-( boo.) i'm helping to organize a raffle for their benefit. (it's a "small" community thing. we're members of 8-Bit brigade. the gaming group that's hosting the raffle.)

if you're still interested, i can totally take it on board. there's no real deadline (other than the day of the raffle, perhaps), so you can let me know later, and i can add you to the sponsor list when you know for sure. thanks a bunch!!! <3

i don't know how skilled you are, or how long it'd take, but i got a negative from someone on etsy that sells megaman hats. (it was so adorable!!! it was shaped like his helmet!) if that's way above your comfort level, anything nerdy will do. <3

how should i credit you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Haha sorry - I saw Child's Play and I got overexcited! I was in the hospital a lot as a kid and I think that what they do is really important!

Anyway, I think I could manage a Megaman hat! I don't really have a twitter or a blog - you can just credit me as Ellie. This is awesome. I was looking for an excuse to go to the yarn store tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:35 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
if you're running slightly short on time, and you can get a photo to me when it's done, so i can include it in the prize gallery, it can take it's time getting here in time for the raffle on the 28th. (but don't kill yourself to get it done before then. if it's not ready, we will list it in the prize list without a photo, and you can send it directly to the winner after the raffle is over. no big deal at all.) if you just manage to finish it on the 27th, send a photo, and we can just show the photo to the audience instead of the hat itself. it's fine.

and thanks for suggestions of nerd tweeters. :-)
how do you want to be listed? lillian p of veganappetite.blogspot.com? do you have a twitter account?

My twitter's @neumann09, but any/all are fine by me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:21 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hey, good news - I am in charge of a charity knitting club, so I sent an email asking if anyone is interested in making something for the raffle, and at least one other person is interested! I will let you know for sure on Wednesday, after our next meeting :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 pm 
And you never will.

I really want to participate, but I'm only crafty with baked goods :( Do you think something like decorated sugar cookies would work? That's the only thing I can think of that might survive being shipped.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 am 

thanks zaqette! this is going to be a super handmade raffle! if they can't think of anything specific to make, i just got word that someone who makes dr. who journals is going to be donating. (so if they could join forces and make a dr. who-style scarf, that'd be great!) and then i can bundle them together in a super-awesome dr. who prize pack.

poopiebitch, i don't see why not! :-) should i reference swell baked goods or eden cakes on the event page? (I'm assuming swell?) let me know the designs you'll be doing, so i can mention them in the prize list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would like to contribute, but I'm sort of afraid of committing with school and the kid, to whom I've promised a detailed geeky Halloween costume. (Link! She wants me to be Zelda, but I don't think that's happening in this timeframe.)

Right now my brain is simply not working creatively (400 pages of legal text in a few weeks will do that to you) but I knit, crochet, sew, and can do most random general crafty-type things. I may try to make some amigurumi since it goes fairly quickly and I have lots of cotton yarn. If I can manage, no need for links/mentions for me, though I will probably try to contact the creators of any pattern I use for permission/credit. Let me see where I am over the next two weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:44 am 

coolbeans, bekki! <3

let me know when you have it done, and then i'll add it to the prize list. and if you don't get around to it this year, no biggie, we can just keep it for next year's raffle. you can always spread the word. exposure is just as valuable as a prize. thanks so much!

oh, p.s. we already have someone making amigurumi link and zelda. FYI.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It's in October again, yes? The prize could be a custom-knit hat so that way you can get their head measurements and maybe they'd want it for their kid and it could be done by Christmas? I don't know how long it takes to kniw a Jayne hat, though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 am 

yep. october 28th. we can do it that way too. lillianp, just let me know how you'd want to handle it, and i'll list it as such.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 am 
And you never will.

supercarrot wrote:
poopiebitch, i don't see why not! :-) should i reference swell baked goods or eden cakes on the event page? (I'm assuming swell?) let me know the designs you'll be doing, so i can mention them in the prize list.

If you could reference Swell that would be, uh, swell :) My facebook is http://www.facebook.com/SwellBakedGoods

I would be doing either Doctor Who or Star Wars cookies, their choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:10 am 

awesome! thanks so much! i have a feeling this year will kick all other years' tuchuses.

(and mr. carrot is considering getting a tattoo of the CP logo if we break $5,000, so there's that.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:11 am 

I can't find vegan yarn for a jayne hat. Going to check two more lys's today, cross your fingers!! (I'd probably be able to find some at JoAnn's, but they're super far away from me here)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:26 am 

aww. don't kill yourself. :-) if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. not a big deal at all. <3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lillianp wrote:
I can't find vegan yarn for a jayne hat. Going to check two more lys's today, cross your fingers!! (I'd probably be able to find some at JoAnn's, but they're super far away from me here)

I used Bernat Super Value. It's acrylic, but nice and soft, not plasticky like Red Heart Super Saver. You might have to order it online. http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=supervalue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm 

the event page is going live in just a few minutes *weeeeeeee* !!!!!!

as a definite, i have poopiebitch and her cookies

lillianp, bekki and zaqette are you still in? (i won't include you on the prize list until i hear from you. just to be on the safe side.)

aaand so we're on the same page:
zaqette - megaman hat credited as ellie
lillian P (of veganappetite) - jayne hat
bekki amigurumi - uncredited
zaqette's kniting club - dr who scarf? - credited as ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I still haven't even managed to start on the kid's costume :(