| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 545  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

paprikapapaya wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:
"Oil is part of a healthy diet. Period. "

No, it's not. Oil perfectly matches the definition of junk food: very high in calories with no nutrients. What's healthy about that? For more information, Dr. Robert Vogel of the University of Maryland has shown what oil does to the endothelium, and Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn and John McDougall have decades of clinical experience detailing the benefit of eliminating oil. Closer to home, it wasn't until I eliminated oil from my own diet that I experienced any significant health benefit.

Oil doesn't need to have nutrients or be low in calories for it to be part of a healthy, balanced diet. Eating things that are not "superfoods" is totally cool as part of a healthy, balanced diet. Not everything I eat is drenched in oil, but some stuff I eat is. And? What? I'm still full of the nutrients I need and am able to be athletic and do what I need to do.
Being so black-or-white about food is way more hazardous to your health than eating oil.

yes, I think the key is "balanced." I think most people know that to be healthy you need to have moderation in all things, it's common sense, but I get the feeling more and more people are losing sense of proportion through these types of diets.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Desdemona wrote:
dakini wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:
I eat buckets of hummus that I have to make myself because I don't want oil. Sometimes I want tahini, but never oil. Oil belongs in your car, not your body.

My pet peeve?
Easy. Vegans who extoll the health benefits of a vegan diet while eating a diet filled with refined flour, refined sugars, and refined oils. That ain't healthy. You only care about animals other than yourself, great. But if health is an issue, walk the talk.

It's not that I don't care about my health.
Frankly, it's no one else's business whether you care about your health or not; it's your health, and you don't have to justify or explain the way you choose to "do" veganism. I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure someone listed vegans who judge other people's approach to/reasons for being vegan among their pet peeves. Personally, I'm not bothered about what other vegans eat, as long as they're not eating animals or animal products, because it has nothing to do with me. Whether someone chooses a diet comprised of chia seeds, walnuts, Field Roast sausages, organic kale, Tofutti pizza, popcorn, applesauce, Luna bars, or (in what I imagine to be the majority of cases) some of each, it's all cool as long as no one was exploited, tortured, or killed for it. People are free to treat their bodies any way they want - as a vegan, I think it's a better world when we choose to eat something other than the remains of someone else's bodies, whether that "something" includes "refined flour, refined sugars, and refined oils" or not.

yes, exactly.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

vegpedlr wrote:
No, it's not. Oil perfectly matches the definition of junk food: very high in calories with no nutrients.

No nutrients? Lipids aren't a macronutrient anymore?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I regret ever mentioning nooch in the house because my mother thinks I'm hiding it in everything I give her. I'M NOT. ONLY SOMETIMES.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

This weekend's one is tongue-in-cheek: my vegan treats were so delicious they were gobbled up at the party before the non-vegan ones. The fruit pizza recipe still needs some refining.

But from the same party, I am sick of people who call themselves vegetarian who eat meat. You don't need to label yourselves people, and I prefer no labels, but if you do, words have meanings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

Cookbooks - and there seem to be a bunch of them coming out lately like this - that are exactly the same as omni ones, except that everything gets changed to "vegan sour cream," "vegan cheese," "vegan ground meat crumbles," "vegan chicken strips," whatever. Nothing against cooking this way, but I can do these subs myself with the 80 billion omni cookbooks I already own, and it just makes vegan cooking look fiddly and expensive. I prefer the "Great Chefs Cook Vegan" or "Millennium Cookbook" variety of fiddly and expensive myself...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This thread is all over the place, so can I mention the almond milk greek yogurt? Anyone had it? I had the plain and it was... okay. Definitely creamy, and higher protein than the coconut milk one. But almondy in a strange, possibly not tasty way. Not sure if I like it or not. Also it was beige, which takes some getting used to. I'm going to pick up a fruity flavor today if they have it, and give that a whirl.

GymClassZero wrote:
I regret ever mentioning nooch in the house because my mother thinks I'm hiding it in everything I give her. I'M NOT. ONLY SOMETIMES.

This cracked me up. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

Vantine wrote:
SassyOh wrote:
Can we have a new thread for debating about oil?

We sort of have.
Here's the "Why does plant based always have to equal fat hate?" thread.

From Ginny Messina
How the health argument fails veganism.
Fat in vegan diets: How Low Should You Go?

Thanks. I don't want to read about, I just want the no-oil guy to go there so this super-fun thread doesn't get hijacked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have an anti-pet peeve for today.
aparently football started today or something so when i went to the grocery store it was INSANITY because everyone was tryibg to get their shopping done before the game started.

after seeing how busy and crowded the deli dept was i said like 18 silent thank yous to the almighty vegan gods that i didnt have to stand in that line!!!!

yay produce!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:08 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Sorry abut the oil, folks. Didn't realize people would feel so strongly and and opposite. I guess I feel strongly too, but in a different way. So let me try again:

1. You eat fish don't you? As if living in water magically turns everything into a plant. At least I haven't heard the chicken one in a really long time.
2. Cheese. Why does everyone feel the need to dump four pounds of cheese into everything? I have a real weakness for that smelly stuff and have to steer clear. Cheese substitutes just make it worse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
i have an anti-pet peeve for today.
aparently football started today or something so when i went to the grocery store it was INSANITY because everyone was tryibg to get their shopping done before the game started.

after seeing how busy and crowded the deli dept was i said like 18 silent thank yous to the almighty vegan gods that i didnt have to stand in that line!!!!

yay produce!

Oh, it's the start of a new ball-sport season! That explains why my neighbors keep yelling excitedly. The smallish town I used to live in was super into sports stuff and during all the big games the grocery stores would be deserted. It was pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hooray for skipping the deli line. I love football season and vegan football food! But I forgot to get stuff for tofu wings when I went to go pick up a rug doctor!! We're Bears fans but have to wait for the game to be put online before we can watch it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:49 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

vegpedlr wrote:
Sorry abut the oil, folks. Didn't realize people would feel so strongly and and opposite. I guess I feel strongly too, but in a different way. So let me try again:

1. You eat fish don't you? As if living in water magically turns everything into a plant. At least I haven't heard the chicken one in a really long time.
I occasionally hear the one about "But chickens are stupid!" to which the only reasonable response is that if the determining factor in who gets eaten is intelligence, there should be a LOT more cannibalism.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:05 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Desdemona wrote:
"But chickens are stupid!"

there's got to be a Joe Biden joke in here somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:07 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Desdemona wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

I occasionally hear the one about "But chickens are stupid!" to which the only reasonable response is that if the determining factor in who gets eaten is intelligence, there should be a LOT more cannibalism.

i <3 you so many times, desdemona. so many times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

daisychain wrote:
Vegan pet peeve...... Oreo's aren't vegan here. I need to move to the USA.
I don't get the Oreo fetishization. They are salty chocolate biscuits with dusty icing in between. I'll eat them if they are put in front of me, but I fully don't understand why some people wet their pants with enthusiasm when they see them.

But get between me and my Pink Panther biscuits and I will cut you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ordering vegan options from a menu but the vegan options are cooked on the same grill as meat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

Chickens are crassholes, not stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:35 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vegpedlr wrote:
2. Cheese. Why does everyone feel the need to dump four pounds of cheese into everything? I have a real weakness for that smelly stuff and have to steer clear. Cheese substitutes just make it worse.

Ugh, yes. Sometimes I'll make something for my (very omni) family and spend a lot of time and effort making it really good, and they'll ask me if it's okay if they sprinkle on some cheese and pop it in the microwave first. Okay, it's just a foccacia-crust fresh, local tomato pizza with lemon basil and roasted garlic that took me the better part of three hours to make, but I can see how that's horribly unappealing without a layer of cheese on top.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:52 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

kilgore trout wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

Ugh, yes. Sometimes I'll make something for my (very omni) family and spend a lot of time and effort making it really good, and they'll ask me if it's okay if they sprinkle on some cheese and pop it in the microwave first. Okay, it's just a foccacia-crust fresh, local tomato pizza with lemon basil and roasted garlic that took me the better part of three hours to make, but I can see how that's horribly unappealing without a layer of cheese on top.

That reminds me of another pet peeve: the asking of permission to do something unvegan by omnivores. If you're going to ruin it, just ruin it, don't ask me permission. Because just asking has revealed that that's what you want to do, so if you were trying to not be rude, you failed right there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:49 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I would knife someone if they tried to do that. Or i'd just tell them to order a pizza. It's one thing if it's understood that like, we're having a taco party and there will be cheese for people who want cheese, but if I made something awesome and vegan, you don't need to fork it up without even trying it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

kilgore trout wrote:

Me too! Whenever I go visit my mother I cook a bunch of meals for her, because I'm a pretty good cook and who doesn't like having someone cook for them? About 75% of the time she eats the vegan food happily without complaining, but once in a while she'll come over while I'm still in the middle of cooking whatever and this will happen:

Her: Can you add some cheese to mine?
Me: No.
Her: Why not?
Me: Because I'm not cooking with dairy, and it doesn't need it anyway.
Her: I don't know, I don't think I can eat a pizza without cheese.
Me: You haven't even tasted it yet!
Her: Yeah, I guess so. Maybe you could just add a little?

and so on and so on and so on

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:42 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Amy wrote:
This thread is all over the place, so can I mention the almond milk greek yogurt? Anyone had it? I had the plain and it was... okay. Definitely creamy, and higher protein than the coconut milk one. But almondy in a strange, possibly not tasty way. Not sure if I like it or not. Also it was beige, which takes some getting used to. I'm going to pick up a fruity flavor today if they have it, and give that a whirl.

GymClassZero wrote:

This cracked me up. :)

Where did you find almond milk greek yogurt? I want to try all of the yogurts!

HERE'S a peeve y'all will appreciate. I saw on Instagram a vegan talking about Three Sisters Cinnamon Sweets cereal (like Cinnamon Toast Crunch), and I was like, oh, I need that! So I go to WF, and look at it has milk in it!! BUT, that was the economy size package. The smaller package was VEGAN! WHY ARE YOU forking WITH MY THREE SISTERS? I didn't get the cereal anyway, but still. I could see someone looking at the smaller one first and then being like, OH, economy size! And not reading the second ingredients, because why would you? Tricky mustards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Desdemona wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

Actually taking for a signature for once! You're the best, Desdemona.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

from the front of caloriecount.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 545  Next