| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

So far, CDing is going okay. We've had a couple of leaks but I'm not sure if it's a combination of not using the right/enough liners or what. We've used the Kawaii and Grovia, and a generic brand and all three have worked out well. I've used fleece and microfiber inserts and the microfiber seem to work best.

The fitteds are okay, but I feel like she's wet everywhere when I take it off. We're using Kissaluvs contours with a snappi and then thirsties covers. I think I prefer the pockets to the fitteds because she's such a squirmly littler person that it's really hard to get them on her.

SO is totally on board. When he saw them he was like, "oh, these are like disposible diapers". So far I totally love it. There is no weird chemical smell, and I feel like it's probably healthier since I can tell when she's wet faster than with a 'sposie. Now we just need to build our stash so we don't have to wash everyday and we'll be golden. I can't believe I waited this long to try!

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:10 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

MMT, one thing (esp with the aios) is that you are probably going to need to change her more frequently. Check every hour or so, i feel like by the time i got to 9 months old, my son needed to be changed every two hours or so? Any feedback from someone who remembers that age with more then my mental haze? I use prefolds (although we are kinda potty trained- he needs them at night, and still hasn't mastered pooping in the potty), and i found them to be much more absorbent then the aios a kid i babysat wore and the soakers i bought for my 3 pockets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

jildez wrote:
MMT, one thing (esp with the aios) is that you are probably going to need to change her more frequently. Check every hour or so, i feel like by the time i got to 9 months old, my son needed to be changed every two hours or so? Any feedback from someone who remembers that age with more then my mental haze? I use prefolds (although we are kinda potty trained- he needs them at night, and still hasn't mastered pooping in the potty), and i found them to be much more absorbent then the aios a kid i babysat wore and the soakers i bought for my 3 pockets.

Thank you.

I think part of the leaks are due to trying to figure out the fit. At night, I've been putting a prefold folded into three into the pocket with a microfiber insert and it seems to work well as long as the fit is good. For prefolds do you just use the old school kind with a snappi or something?

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh man! I just bought four like-new FuzziBunz at a garage sale for $7! No one in the world will be excited for me but the PPK.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow! That is a great price! ::high fives awesome mama!::

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I knoooow. The woman selling them was like $2 and my jaw literally dropped. I've been wanting to try them because M is so super mobile and flippy that getting a prefold and cover on him these days can seem next to impossible. I don't recall it ever being so hard to get a diaper on E but probably I just forget.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Whoa, good find!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:21 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So I've been reading everywhere I can find information, and allllll of this thread and the one thing I've figured out is there is no one thing that works for all babies and all parents, so I'm trying to amass a small collection of different styles and types before the baby comes so that I can try them out and then buy a stockpile of whichever seems to suit us the best... which goes against all my frugal instincts as there are good deals on bulk packages and it all seems so counter-intuitive buying one-offs of these things!

Question for now: almost everyone seems to love Thirsties Duo covers, I really really hope that prefolds and covers work for us, and if they do I obviously want to have good covers that are easy to use and won't leak etc. But damn those things are expensive! Here the covers seem to be usually around $30 [USD24] though I have spotted some reduced to $22 [USD17.65]. What are you all paying for these kind of covers? Do those prices sound ridiculous, or is that just what they cost? I was just wondering whether if we go with these, when I make a bulk purchase it might be worth paying for shipping to get them at a reduced price from the States.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oof. $24/cover sounds VERY expensive to me. I've paid $13-14 (USD) for Thirsties Duo wraps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 am 
Married to the wolfman

Also also, I loved the Fuzzibunz we got at a yard sale so much that we bought a lot of used ones from
eBay. It's so funny, we did covers & prefolds with the Emperor right up to potty training no problem... But it is SO hard to get a diaper on the Magician (an expert escape artist) that the FBs make a huge difference. I was going to need to buy more covers anyway... Price wise, used FBs were cheaper per item than new Thirsties.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:46 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Some cloth diaper companies/stores have deals where you can rent an assortment of dipes for 12 weeks, see what you like, and then return them (washed, of course). I know there are websites that do this, though I'm not sure what they are. Are there any crunchy baby stores in your area?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:28 pm 
Semen Strong

oncewerewesties wrote:
Here the covers seem to be usually around $30 [USD24] though I have spotted some reduced to $22 [USD17.65]. What are you all paying for these kind of covers?

They are SO much cheaper here! Even full price you're looking at $12 - $14 depending on the pattern and if you want snaps (I always do :)) or velcro (velcro is cheaper but doesn't last long). I love my Econobums covers and you get 3 prefolds and a cover (white w/ snaps and color trim)for $12, which I think is a great price.

Can you look to see if other people want to do a bulk order with you? I know people who do that all the time and they get FB and other one size diaps for about $6 including the inserts..

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:09 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

coldandsleepy wrote:
Oof. $24/cover sounds VERY expensive to me. I've paid $13-14 (USD) for Thirsties Duo wraps.

sounds it to me, too! That's why I was curious whether they were better value over there...

mittenmacher wrote:
Some cloth diaper companies/stores have deals where you can rent an assortment of dipes for 12 weeks, see what you like, and then return them (washed, of course). I know there are websites that do this, though I'm not sure what they are. Are there any crunchy baby stores in your area?

I've found a bunch of [local] websites that sell 'trial' packs [pack of 1-3 of a particular type + some liners/wipes etc] but nowhere seems to rent.
I don't think there are any natural baby type shops around here, unfortunately.

Tofulish wrote:
They are SO much cheaper here! Even full price you're looking at $12 - $14 depending on the pattern and if you want snaps (I always do :)) or velcro (velcro is cheaper but doesn't last long). I love my Econobums covers and you get 3 prefolds and a cover (white w/ snaps and color trim)for $12, which I think is a great price.

Can you look to see if other people want to do a bulk order with you? I know people who do that all the time and they get FB and other one size diaps for about $6 including the inserts..

Good luck!

Envious of your amazing deals! Unfortunately I don't know any one else pregnant/with babies in this country, so probably wouldn't be able to do a bulk order.
Even with local sites it's annoying because I'm wanting to get small quantities and have to pay $4-6 postage for a single purchase : /

Part of what is so frustrating to me is that I can find so many different types of 'covers' that are actually those pocket things you put inserts in, where I want to find the ones that are a straight waterproof cover to go over a simple prefold and there don't seem to be many options...

Thanks for all the helpful words, all! : )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We've recently run into an issue where our overnight cloth diapering system is causing some serious diaper rash. By process of elimination I know its not the diapers, water, detergent, balm, diaper brand or any of those things. I can only think that it is because it is overnight so the duration of contact with the cloth is an issue. We tried a disposable overnight and no rash. We can use cloth all day long and it's great but as soon as we do overnight again the rash is back.

Could this be that the diapers are not wicking away the moisture enough? I mean this rash is almost everywhere that the diaper touches her. I hate to see her get rashed out like this but at least it doesn't seem to bother her and it goes away within the day. I'd love to use cloth round-the-clock again but if it means keeping her rash free I can manage one 'sposie a day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Have you tried just putting on some preventative desitin before bed?

I would definitely use a nice wicking microfiber and maybe a liner also. We usually do a double Flip overnight. Violet isn't terribly rash-prone but does start to get some rash if left too wet for long, and we've found disposables did a better job at keeping moisture away than cloth, so we've had to keep a little more on the ball about wet diaper changes now that she's back in cloth f/t.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Seconding the preventative diaper balm! We use Earth Mama and she does very well. just fyi, I've read not to use Desitin with cloth because you get a "cod-liver" smell on your diaps, but have never tried it...

Oncewere, can you find a holistic/attachment parenting or other crunchy mom's group near you? I am sure that there are cloth diaperers in NZ - you guys are way Earth-friendlier than we are!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for your suggestions! I am using Earth Mama balm at night. It's the same stuff with the same diapers and same routine we've had for a while, so that's why I don't know why the rash is happening...my only other thought is that she's trying a lot of new foods and maybe that is just making her urine more potent than before? I'll up the amount of balm at night...I've not bought Desitin because I'd heard it could possibly affect the cloth diapers. I'll be experimenting with this once a week or so to see if things have changed. Maybe I can try the Desitin with a disposable liner...and/or just start using fleece liners in general.

On a somewhat related note, baby girl likes asparagus. Yay for good eating but - wow - what a smelly diaper.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:58 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Is the Earth Mama diaper balm CD friendly?! We use disposables when Sven has a rash and we need to use it, but I'd be thrilled if we could keep him in cloth!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't think any effective balm could be CD friendly. I mean, the point of the balms is to create a barrier between urine and skin, right? And..thus...also a barrier between urine and diaper, if it rubbed off on it, making the diapers less absorbent?

Anyway, I just use the disposable liners, they work great. I have fleece too but making sure they get put in a separate wash and not thrown out is just too much if I'm not the only one changing her.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

For what it's worth, we've used A&D (pretty much the same thing) extensively with the Emperor's diapers and it never seemed to harm them/make them less absorbent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:47 pm 
Semen Strong

This is a good resource to find CD-safe diaper creams: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/d ... creams.htm

A&D has one safe one, and one that isn't recommended fyi....

Oh and definitely check her diet. L gets rashes after eating tomato.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

I need advice on nighttime cloth diapering. Baby Badger had been in cloth full time during the day almost since birth, but if he won't sleep more than 2 - 3 hours at a time in cloth at night. In disposables, he'll go 5 - 6 hours without waking. We're starting to run out of the disposables we got as gifts and I'd rather not buy new packs just for night time diapering.

Do you find that pockets with extra inserts are best at night or another system? We have some one size pockets and a whole bunch of different inserts but at 3 months and just about 8 lbs he doesn't fit them yet. Right now I'm working mostly with newborn all-in-ones (bumGenius and Rumparooz) and prefolds with covers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

a pocket with a prefold in it and a regular insert works well for us overnight.
unfortunatly wolverine just started getting rashes overnight when he wears pocket diapers so we have been doing disposables at night. He is in daycare 2 days a week and wears disposables there so we already have to buy them so no big deal. the alternative right now is to let him get the rash then wear disposables for 3 days while I put the ointment on him so we use less throw aways just putting them on him at night.
I also had a question with those of you with squirmy babies. I love prefolds and covers. But wolverine has gotten so violently opposed to diaper time that pockets are easier so I just cave and put those on him when he is being difficult about getting a diaper on. What are the easiest diapers to get on a squirmy toddler that hates diaper changes? So far we only have one swaddlebees simplex but I think that may be the winner so far as far as ease because the snaps are on the sides and I can fasen them easier while he is standing or twirling around. They are just so expensive and I can never find them used. Any other recs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

tank wrote:
a pocket with a prefold in it and a regular insert works well for us overnight.
unfortunatly wolverine just started getting rashes overnight when he wears pocket diapers so we have been doing disposables at night. He is in daycare 2 days a week and wears disposables there so we already have to buy them so no big deal. the alternative right now is to let him get the rash then wear disposables for 3 days while I put the ointment on him so we use less throw aways just putting them on him at night.
I also had a question with those of you with squirmy babies. I love prefolds and covers. But wolverine has gotten so violently opposed to diaper time that pockets are easier so I just cave and put those on him when he is being difficult about getting a diaper on. What are the easiest diapers to get on a squirmy toddler that hates diaper changes? So far we only have one swaddlebees simplex but I think that may be the winner so far as far as ease because the snaps are on the sides and I can fasen them easier while he is standing or twirling around. They are just so expensive and I can never find them used. Any other recs?

We mostly used disposables (huggies li'l poopers on the move slip-ons) during most of the squirmy phase because we were moving, but since about a year old, V has been a bit calmer during diaper changes. Still, she's a little squirmy, and I find the fuzzi bunz and bumgenius (4.0s and freetimes) are about equal, needing two snaps on each side. I guess velcro might be easier, but I don't have any of those because velcro is the devil's fastener. At night we do flips - they would've been impossible ~4 months ago, but now she can sit still while we put them on.

I find that sometimes it helps to remember that they weigh 20 lb and bend at the middle. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tank, I haven't tried much outside of prefolds & covers, but I find the FuzziBunz that come in S-M-L (not the one size, don't know about those) to be worlds away in terms of ease of application. I can put them on while the Magician is standing up, which I sure as shiitake can't do with a prefold regardless of type of cover. My trick is just to get either the top or the bottom snap on either side snapped first, then once it's on and he's done being irritated about me interrupting his important baby work for a second, then get back there and fasten the other two snaps so it's secure.

We bought the bulk of our FuzziBunz on eBay for ~$9/per for the pocket diaper, the terry cloth insert thingy, and an extra hemp insert for each one... I saw others going for about the same price there. It's a little weird to buy diapers from some random person on the internet, but there you go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 53  Next