| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bruised sacrum (tailbone)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I fell really hard on wednesday at derby practice. Just landed straight on my sacrum, I'm pretty sure its just bruised. Nothing really feels too out of place. There is no external bruising, but holy hell I can't move! Walking is the easiest, but sitting down and standing up is so horrible that I feel sick every time I do it. I almost feel like its been knocked out of alignment, and I have pain radiating down my left leg.
Has this ever happened to anyone? What else besides icing should I do? How long is the recovery time??

Post subject: Re: bruised sacrum (tailbone)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i used to do this as a kid ALL THE TIME And it was absolutely horrible. i don't remember most pain but i remember that pain.

i don't want to sound alarmist but it is possible to break your sacrum (i think it happened to someone on this board while giving birth, which makes me want to barf just thinking about it), and if after a few days of icing, you are still feeling pain-nausea, if i were you i would get yourself xrayed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:10 am 
Impressive boner

I fell really hard on my coccyx at my first ever derby training session in November 2009.
The bad pain lasted for about two months - I couldn't sit right in my chair at work, couldn't sleep on my back and had to sit in an armchair with one leg tucked underneath me to take the pressure off my coccyx area. It did go away, but about a year later I started getting some awful aches there after sitting down for extended periods. That pain has just about stopped happening.

Seeing as it makes you feel sick and you have pain radiating down your leg it might be worth getting an x-ray.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 am 
Baking In The Flavor

8ball wrote:

Seeing as it makes you feel sick and you have pain radiating down your leg it might be worth getting an x-ray.

well from what I understand about broken sacrum's is that there isn't anything they can do about it. I'll get an xray, they'll charge me $500, give me pain killers and tell me to ice. You can't cast it, and sense it still feels like its all one bone if it is broken it would only be a hairline fracture.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 pm 
WRETCHED

It has been about 5 months since I hurt my tailbone. I feel it once in a while. It bothered me quite a bit for 3 months.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I also don't want to be alarmist, but I would go get it checked out just to be sure there's no nerve damage, considering you're describing having pain radiating down your left leg. You might not notice just from feeling from the outside that anything is broken, but since you say it feels like it's been "knocked out of alignment", it's possible that the injury is a little more serious than you'd think. Also the doctor might be able to give you better anti-inflammatory drugs that can help more while you're healing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:35 am 
Saggy Butt

I sprained my tailbone once and the thing that helped most to relieve the pain was a donut pillow (I think I had the Duro-Med brand). It takes the pressure off the injured area when you are sitting. Aleve was the most effective medication for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 am 
Baking In The Flavor

its not so much sitting, its sitting down and getting up. So far my best medication has been booze. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I fractured mine. I was able to transition positions without it killing after about two weeks. After a couple of months, it was pretty much better, but it has never been 100 % since. I hope yours heals well and soon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

thats pretty much what I've heard from everyone. Super lame. I'm a little scared about going to practice tonight. I think I'm just gonna take it easy with the newbies though

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My ex broke his and fractured several vertebrate. He was told in the ER that it is possible to become paralyzed because of this sort of injury. They did have to go in and remove several bone chips that were sitting on nerves.

Don't go to practice and confirm with a doctor that it's not broken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

did you end up getting it checked? i know nothing about broken bones, but if you did manage to dislocate it, that they can try to do something about and hopefully save you having problems with that joint long term. (my own si joint goes out several times a day so i've had the mobilization/realignment done a bunch of times--it's not bad.) i hope you're doing better now than when you posted this. take care.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I did go get it checked out. Its not broken or out of place. Its just very seriously bruised. :( I was actually hoping it was out of place, that would have been a quick fix. But I guess this is just the universe telling me to take it slow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

do you wear padded shorts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Donut chair cushion!! hope you're feeling better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

fupapack wrote:
do you wear padded shorts?

well I'm looking into buying them now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm 
And you never will.

Resurrecting this thread because my tailbone hurts OH GOD IT HURTS. I have no idea why, I didn't fall and I haven't done anything unusual lately, I noticed it feeling a little sore the other day, but nothing I couldn't handle. Then today I decided to take advantage of the pretty weather and go cycling. I only went 10 miles, but it was clearly a big mistake, because halfway through my ride the pain started and it hasn't stopped since. Getting off my bike seat was a special kind of torture, and the act of sitting down or standing up brings tears of pain to my eyes. Why would it start hurting so randomly? Could I have injured it and not even have noticed?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Your sacrum is pretty tuff, you have to fall pretty damn hard to bruise it. Most likely your piriformis and or gluteus muscles are crazy tight. If your a cyclist then that would explain it. I would get a tennis ball and lay on top of it and let it work out your hips. When you come across a spot thats really sore hold it until it stops hurting, then move on to another place. If you look up the yoga pose for pigeon that would be a really good one. Also just look up sports hip stretches. I've seen a lot of people over the years that think they've injured their back-hips-sacrum and it was really just super tight muscles.
I hope that helps!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I fractured my coccyx by falling down the stairs. It's not that tough! I would go to a doctor rather than take internet advice, Poopiebitch. If you did injure it, you might cause additional damage or additional pain by stretching. The pain you are describing is identical to what I experienced.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

celyn wrote:
I fractured my coccyx by falling down the stairs. It's not that tough! I would go to a doctor rather than take internet advice, Poopiebitch. If you did injure it, you might cause additional damage or additional pain by stretching. The pain you are describing is identical to what I experienced.

Celyn is wise. If you can get to a walk in clinic or something, it would be good to have an x-ray/exam. My ex broke his twice and other than a heating pad and pain killers, they couldn't do anything for him. The big concern was if there were bone chips floating around.