| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela took her first independent step! Its been over 2 months of cruising and now she's brave enough to step off without support. I couldn't stop screaming incoherently. It was awesome <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Good job Leela!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay leela! Congrats on your first (I'm sure super-cute) steps!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:25 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Go Leela!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:55 pm 

Freya is nine months old today! I took a picture, but it's still on my phone, which is in the bedroom with her while she miraculously sleeps for like an hour and a half (delayed the new bed for a few days). We ran into one of her favorite mates at the park early this morning..a 14ish month old and his mom who we're just really getting to know better. She spent much of the rest of the day trying to work out her sleep schedule now that we're back on UK time and of course, waving...at everyone and everything (the cats next door, the lady on the bus, the food that she dropped on the floor). She's just this week very very interested in pulling up and standing/slightly scooting. I'm wondering if my mom is right that she will walk before crawling. She was really ticked off earlier this week though when we went to a baby group and she was the only one not crawling, there was lots of squealing and growling at the babies who ditched her. Heh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Yay Leela!

Refinnej, I know a few babies that went straight to walking. So cute that Freya is waving!

We were just on vacation for the last week and a half. While we were gone Ada got her 13th tooth, learned to say cookie (that she learned in about two seconds, obviously very important), wave and say hola, walk up steps without holding onto anything (this was the day after we met Pinko and Inez so I think Inez helped with that one :-)), unlock the iPad, and call me mama. Her calling me mama is about the best thing ever. It is clearly more work for her to say mama than dada because she has to take her time saying it and it's this really low voice that she uses. It is adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Man, I can't wait for "mama."

We are still stuck on "ball" and "ER-er" (that's "hello," only said into the phone or something that seems like a phone, held up to her ear). She also makes a sound that's like "no" as a response to almost everything, but I don't think it's really "no," I think it's like acknowledging that she's hearing us.

Malka will be 1 year old in one week! I'm kind of having some anxiety about the Labor Day weekend. My labor experience was so awful and emotionally devastating and I'm just thinking about how I'm going to be thinking all weekend long "this is when my water broke" "this is when I was admitted to the hospital" "this was the second night after my water broke and I was still not in labor" "this is when they started the pitocin" etc. I've almost totally stopped having flashbacks about the experience, but it does cross my mind and make me cry sometimes. I feel like the one year mark might be kind of freeing, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Sorry Ariann :( That sounds rough.

Sending good thoughts, and I'm going to hug you in person on Saturday <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

my experience was that i did kind of relive my labour and birth. obviously, in my case, tzipi came 5 weeks early so there was also a lot of somewhat dramatic replaying to do. it really did feel freeing though, and it wasn't until then that i stopped thinking about her in her adjusted age, and just as her real age.

so yeah, i think you will probably have a day or two where it's kind of tough, and then it will somewhat dramatically stop being tough as you venture into the second year. i didn't have any sad or unpleasant thoughts regarding tzipi's birth for her second birthday at all. it's a different story coming up to the birth of my second child, though, i can tell you that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LB, it's great to hear that tzipi's first birthday was a helpful transition. I'm hoping I have the same experience.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Aw, hope you get some extra sweet snuggles from Malka to help you through the weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:56 pm 

Ariann wrote:
LB, it's great to hear that tzipi's first birthday was a helpful transition. I'm hoping I have the same experience.

Ditto. I hadn't really thought about this until just the other day when saying something to an acquaintance about how wonderful our delivery midwife was. It was a positive comment, but out of nowhere, this sort of flood of anxiety came over me. I think part of it was that I took a pregnancy test last week after some strange symptoms and realizing that I could be one of those "we only did it once, how did this happen" moms that you see on TLC. Never before was I so glad to see the words "not pregnant". Pretty sure now that it's Aunt Flo working herself out after a year and a half away, but that whole malaise, cramps thing had me shaking for awhile. Whew.

((hugs)) Ariann. Malka's an awesome kid, so whatever happened then was part of the journey that brought her to you, yep?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I went on the train to Shibuya, Tokyo (Omote-Sando shopping +Harajuku) with Lorelei yesterday. What an experience. I carried her or used the wrap. A few "highlights"... nursing her to sleep while waiting for a train in Yokohama while wearing her in the wrap and a clever nursing top. She then proceeded to sleep in the wrap for almost an hour. I was so happy to nurse her while standing and walking around, and let her drift off. That, however, was her final nap of the day *sigh*. The train ride to Tokyo from here is close to 2 hours. It was pretty interesting, I haven't been on the train with her in a while especially for a ride that long. She was very hammy with everyone as usual and got lots of attention from everyone around her, old ladies playing peekaboo with her on the train, etc. She proceeded to wave at people at the best moments for squeals of "kawaiii!!"

We ate at the organic buffet at the Crayon House, eating with a 1 year old has been crazy for me. She won't sit still and tries to steal my chopsticks, only to drop them on the floor. I usually get 2 sets of utensils but it doesn't matter because she only wants the ones I am using. She will drop whatever she has to go for mine no matter how many times we go through the dropping routine. She doesn't want me to feed her because she wants to feed herself which turns into a huge mess if we are eating out so she fed herself pieces of tofu from my plate. Sooo glad this was a family friendly place, which is the only places I can really bring her now. There were a couple of nice Japanese ladies who watched Lorelei as I went and got food from the buffet. When I came back, one of them had Lorelei in her lap as the other one took a picture with her cellphone. The other table next to me a lady had a baby she was breastfeeding and I felt right at home with my squirmy pre-toddler.

Things started to disintegrate on the way back because she wouldn't take her second nap. So by the time we got home things were pretty dire.

I'm tired. Anyone have any restaurant tips with a 1 year old?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey will be 14 months next week. How did that happen?

DS, I don't really have any tips, sometimes grey is a sweet angel baby at restaurants and eats his food without a giant mess other times there is screaming, pulling at my shirt and food and water everywhere. I just keep trying to take him out so he can get used to it and learn how to eat at restaurants.

Grey is still not walking, but so very close. He cruises, fast. I don't actually think there will be a walking stage, just straight to running. He plays peekaboo all the time, covering his eyes. Covering his bunny's eyes, using different objects to cover his eyes, it's adorable. He is clapping, waving, blowing kisses, he does cheers and high fives. He can say mama, dada, hello, hi, bye, Gigi (which means doggie), grandma, I love you, ball, and s few other things, although he doesn't say any with consistency. He also meows all the time. I got him to stop biting me, so that is awesome. He has started randomly screeching which I could live without! Naps are challenging but nights are getting better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 pm 
Semen Strong

DS, that sounds lovely! Do you have pictures to share?

Our only tips with restaurants have been (1) don't go anywhere that isn't very childfriendly (we have found our 2 Chinese restaurants and our Indian buffet to be so awesome - everyone dotes on L and no one minds if she breaks stuff or is noisy) (2) don't dawdle - order asap, don't get appetizers or dessert and make sure to have the check ready to go as soon as you can so you can get her out - I tend to assume I have an hour where she'll eat and be pretty happy before she starts crying and (3) where possible get brunch instead of dinner. And I know you can't do this, but I try and go with my partner so one of us can walk her if need by while the other eats.

But I suspect all of this is highly individual - not just to the child but to the day.

I really feel you though. I used to love restaurants and I just don't any more. I hat paying $20 for meal I can't really enjoy and where a good portion falls on the floor. I think I have to get my husband to take L while I go for a lovely alone and just me lunch this week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

dragonssister wrote:
I'm tired. Anyone have any restaurant tips with a 1 year old?

wait so you can laugh at yourself when you have a two year old?

eating out with a one year old is annoying and requires at least 3 sets of hands and an extra shirt for both of you.

eating out with a two year old is hellish and requires ear plugs for everyone in the place, a special anti-gravity bubble around the diameter of your table, and a smart phone or tablet with at least two hours worth of music, videos and games which said two year old has not seen before.

i hear three is worse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:54 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Jordan is 8 1/4 months! He has 5 teeth, is a crawling machine, pulls himself up on everything & is so desperately trying to say "cat". He's pretty good in restaurants, he usually makes a huge mess since we BLW but I just clean up as much of it as I can before we leave :) He still hates the car. It's been about 2 months of hating the car :/ I'm hoping when we get him a new, convertible car seat that he will get better. I still have to sit in the back with him while av drives and don't even attempt to drive anywhere with just the two of us. He loves clapping, playing peekaboo and the cats! He's always trying to grab their whiskers so we're working on gentle pets. He's also really into music. He has his own kitty keyboard with a microphone that he loves singing into and he wiggles when music is on!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:22 pm 

We did a lot of restaurants on holiday, but it is a mixed bag. We took the Mei Tai with us most times (or the stroller once) so that we could walk around if needed. We generally asked for something for her ahead of everyone else ordering if we were with a big group (some sliced avocado or toast or something that I knew she'd likely eat). If it's just the three of us, we'd just order straightaway and play til the food came. Have backup food helps, along with a few toys for waiting and at the end of the meal when she's bored but everyone else wants to talk/have coffee or whatever.

As for food on the floor, we followed the guideline that Tofulish mentioned and just don't go anyplace that will freak out if she makes a mess on the floor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos was on all fours today before I left for work! Crawling here we come!!!!!! How long does it take? Is he going to be crawling today or is this a practice being on all fours for a while thing? So excited. And scared!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm not sure where to put this but wanted to post it 'cause it was so funny:
Dahlia has been mimicking breastfeeding for a while now. Usually she says "I have to feed Baby Dee", hikes up her shirt and holds the dollie up. The other day though I got a glimpse of what my life must look like to her: she gathered 3 pillows and put them behind on her on the couch, then got another pillow on her lap, grabbed Baby Dee and held her up and said "You gonna eat my boob!" I nearly died laughing.
other than that, she's very into singing these days, her fave song being My Darling Clementine. It is sooo cute and offkey, and she very sweetly likes to sing it to Sierra.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kimba wrote:
Carlos was on all fours today before I left for work! Crawling here we come!!!!!! How long does it take? Is he going to be crawling today or is this a practice being on all fours for a while thing? So excited. And scared!

It could be a while still. Will's friend did that for about a month before he finally took off full force.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Audrey wrote:
The other day though I got a glimpse of what my life must look like to her: she gathered 3 pillows and put them behind on her on the couch, then got another pillow on her lap, grabbed Baby Dee and held her up and said "You gonna eat my boob!" I nearly died laughing..

Ha ha ha... I love it! The Emperor likes to pretend to nurse his doll too, and he likes to climb in my lap, turn his head towards me and make this hilarious squinched up face which he says means he's drinking milk.

I keep meaning to come and post this: for the past week or two, the Magician has been standing unassisted for 30-60 seconds at a time! Sometimes you can tell he's doing it on purpose, in which case he usually falls down sooner because he gets excited and starts bouncing up and down (and then just down, ha ha). Sometimes he does it because he has something that he wants to hold in both hands and he forgets to hold onto something else. I'm amazed how long he can go when he does that!

It kinda blows my mind, even though I've seen all these same milestones with E. There is something magical about seeing someone go from being a tiny squidgy lumpkin to a person who can like stand and use his hands for things and stuff.

Oh jeez, I am sure he will forget this in time too but: he has also been SNAPPING HIS FINGERS over the past couple of days. I can't even do that on purpose, much less by accident. My 7 month old has outpaced me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Snapping his fingers! Holy crepe! Living up to his name.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 pm 
And you never will.

Aw, poopiebaby loves to breastfeed his baby too! And sometimes his monkey, and sometimes his Thomas the Tank Engine...

Our new thing is counting. He can count to ten (rote learned), but he can also actually COUNT. Like, point at four things one at a time count out "one, two, three, FOUR!" It's crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela is now climbing our whole flight of stairs on her own. It freaks me out.

Also, she started clapping.

If she gets any cuter, I am going to eat her.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 101  Next