| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanna Critique My Vegan Prezi?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm presenting this tomorrow at noon, so don't be too harsh though :-) Let me know if you see any egregious mistakes. It's for a sustainability fair, so it is entirely from an environmental perspective-- that's the audience I'm going for. I did throw in a "help the animals" at the end, though!

It's kind of a complicated prezi, so i wouldn't recommend zooming around freestyle-- just click the arrows to navigate through. There are 3 videos that require you to push play by hand. I found one link that wasn't live, but I can't figure it out. Let me know if you see others or anything else that needs fixin'.

p.s. this is entirely volunteer work and NOT my field at all, so don't expect professionalism... It's even my first prezi and just for fun (and to make the world a slightly better place)

Thanks!

http://prezi.com/1tg-javueusd/eco-eating-sustainability-and-plant-based-foods/

Post subject: Re: Wanna Critique My Vegan Prezi?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:57 am 
Cranky

There's a typo in the first bit of real text--"on" for "one." I didn't maximize the window so I wasn't seeing everything at full size, but the text was really difficult to read sometimes.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:41 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks, good catch! I finally fixed the dead link too. Yeah, I had a hard time with some of the text over the images, but I'm hoping in full-screen and on a projector, with me reading to the room, that it'll be ok.

I'm thinking of being a little more insistent on the screen that asks how much people should reduce their animal product intake. Obviously, I think it should be zero, but I wanted to present it so it wouldn't seem daunting and then give people lots of info to use. I kinda wonder if the Meatout Monday suggestion is too weak, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:30 pm 
Chip Strong

There's an extra space in the quote about IFAP from the Pew Commission on IFAP (which is a terrible acronym, by the way). In "So, What can we do?" "What" doesn't need to be capitalized. Maybe you could add another slide after the slide that mentions meatout Mondays that emphasizes that reducing consumption is only a first step? Of course, even if you're fully vegan, chances are you aren't doing everything that you could possibly do for the planet. It's all about doing the best you can and continually striving to do better.

Overall, I really liked it. I thought your citations were credible, and I found it convincing (though other people will likely be harder to convince). The effects were cool, and it looks interesting, but pretty polished. There were a few places where the text is hard to read (especially all the yellow text, and the text that's overlaid on top of the earth), but as you said, you'll be elaborating on your points anyway.

Good luck! I hope your audience likes it and you convince lots of people to change their diets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks for the feedback! It went great today-- the audience was SO receptive and we had a great discussion afterward. One lady had even been vegetarian 9 months and just needed some advice to move toward vegan. Overall, good stuff! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:44 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Wow you guys, the discussion has continued online and others are checking out the link from the event page. I'm really amazed at the positive response and how appreciative people are for the information. It's like, this is stuff that people are vaguely aware is true, but they just need some advice and direction to motivate them. I'm definitely making a commitment to doing more outreach and education!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:47 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I thought this said 'Pretzi' and would be about Pretzels for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Mmmm, pretzel. Oh, and yeah, ifap is a horrible acronym! I enjoyed getting to say it repeatedly today, though :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Good on you for putting it together and getting a discussion going. That's great!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

That was an amazing presentation. Amazing. Thank you for putting it together.
Love,
Quagga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks! :-) I don't want to sound arrogant, but it is of course fair game for free use and sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for the update! I have shared your presentation with a veganic farm associated with Animal Place, a farm animal sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA. They have a veganic mini-farm in progress. I think they already know about the VON, but the videos you posted about the farm are fantastic.

Here's their mini-farm blog: http://growitkindly.wordpress.com/

Heck, your presentation may inspire me to do something similar for my local area...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh, I LOVED the VON segment too-- SO beautiful and inspiring! I knew about Animal Place but did not realize they had a veganic farm going. Just read "Growing Food and Breaking Hearts".... what a great blog. Thanks for sharing!