| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Belgium meetup - Sept. 22?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Dinner! Adventures!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:11 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

It's official! I'm in!

Dinner Friday, and post-breakfast hanging on Saturday sound great!

EmperorTomatoKetchup, if it makes you feel any better, English is my native tongue too. And in my experience, not only are PPKers more than happy to speak English, but Dutch and Flemish folk are also more than happy to speak English.

Fisticuffs, I've got a direct train to Gent-Sint-Pieters. Is that the most convenient station for where we might want to go?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

ok, so if i do end up going i'll probably take the train. Eurostar to Brussels, and then a local train to Gent? will that be reasonably easy?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 pm 

Yep. There are trains from Brussel Zuid/Midi (where the Eurostar arrives) to Gent-Sint-Pieters several times an hour. You can check out the travel planner for the Belgian railway to get an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ETK, it's super easy! Depending on when you arrive I might even be there (I work in Brussels) so I can swoop you away to Ghent. When you book the Eurostar, you can should pick the option "to/from any Belgian station". Then you don't have to buy an extra ticket to Ghent.

I'm thinking we should do the buffet for dinner (Komkommertijd).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:47 am 

Sounds good to me!

Which station to I want to go to, fisticuffs? Lepelaar kept on mentioning Gent St. Peters; it looks like 7pm is the earliest I can make it there from Leuven.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

urgh, i don't know about this now. i really do want to meet up with everyone and do a bit of traveling (i've only been to Belgium once, and that was at a road stop on our way from France to Germany 16 years ago) but it looks like it's going to end up costing me more than i'd like for a 2-day visit. i need to start working and save up for stuff like this, especially with the visit to the US we're planning around Christmas. some other time maybe? :/

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Boo! Definitely come some other time. If you book more in advance, the Eurostar should be cheaper. It's also cheaper if you pick other days to travel on than fri/sat/sun.

fisticuffs wrote:

I went last saturday and it was... underwhelming. Now I'm scared it's going to be bad when you guys are coming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 am 

Where and when should we meet up? And which train station should I go to from Leuven?
The earliest I can leave Leuven is probably 6pm (17:45 at the absolute earliest).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Gent-Sint-Pieters is good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:46 am 

fisticuffs wrote:
Boo! Definitely come some other time. If you book more in advance, the Eurostar should be cheaper. It's also cheaper if you pick other days to travel on than fri/sat/sun.

fisticuffs wrote:

I went last saturday and it was... underwhelming. Now I'm scared it's going to be bad when you guys are coming!

Have you had good experiences there before? Maybe it was just an off night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, but ever since the original chef left I haven't been impressed.

Maybe we should go to Lekker Gec, that's right at the station. Also vegan, pay per weight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am 

Two bits of news:

-The last bit of my workshop was just cancelled, so I'm free at 12.30 on Friday, which means we can meet earlier in Gent if that's convenient for people.
-I'll find out on Wednesday, I think, but there's a small chance that because I'm done so soon, I should take the train back up to Amsterdam to help my artist friend finish our installation for an event next month (everything has to be finished before I leave for Poland on the 25th, and when I left her place Sunday, it sounded like she wasn't sure she could manage....).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So then you'll stay in Amsterdam?

I kinda need to know when and where to book tables... dinner on fri and lunch on saturday?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:49 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lutin wrote:
Two bits of news:

-The last bit of my workshop was just cancelled, so I'm free at 12.30 on Friday, which means we can meet earlier in Gent if that's convenient for people.
-I'll find out on Wednesday, I think, but there's a small chance that because I'm done so soon, I should take the train back up to Amsterdam to help my artist friend finish our installation for an event next month (everything has to be finished before I leave for Poland on the 25th, and when I left her place Sunday, it sounded like she wasn't sure she could manage....).

Are you saying you'll leave for Amsterdam and thus will not be in Ghent?

Personally I think that if you've got some unexpected free time, that it could be wise to use that time to "recharge your batteries" seeing all the travel and stuff you've done lately.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm 

I agree with Veg_Eric that you deserve some downtime, lutin. And I know you were really looking forward to that hostel in Ghent.

Anyway, I'm up for anything, but would like to get an idea of what the plans are in terms of days and times. Any news?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:07 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

fisticuffs wrote:
So then you'll stay in Amsterdam?

I kinda need to know when and where to book tables... dinner on fri and lunch on saturday?

lepelaar wrote:
Anyway, I'm up for anything, but would like to get an idea of what the plans are in terms of days and times. Any news?

Yes, dinner on friday and lunch on saturday sounds good to me.

If Lutin can't attend our meeting, I'm coming by motorbike and would also like to have dinner some where on saturday too.

*I reported sick to the office so I have plans to check into the hostel between 4-5 pm on friday and assume I can meet up at like 6pm anywhere in town?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I should (hopefully) be in Ghent around 6, but I need to feed cats and give one of them antibiotics before THE FUN CAN BEGIN. I wasn't sure about the time for dinner on friday, it depends on when lutin and lepelaar can be in Ghent.

About other plans, I'll have to see how it goes. My knee sometimes still bothers me, so I can't really say how much walking I'll be able to do. But I'll happily sit around if you guys want to climb the Belfort! (and you should because the view is A+++)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 am 

I'm easy as far as meeting on Friday evening is concerned. I can come any time. Trains from where I'm staying arrive at Gent-Sint-Pieters every hour at :07 and :35.

Saturday, I'm up for lunch and gentle wandering/shopping with plenteous stops for coffee and letting fisticuffs rest her leg. I don't think I'm going to make dinner, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just heard there's a cafe that has vegan baked goods! We'll have to check that out, ofcourse. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 am 

Yes!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm 

Hey dudes. My plans are still unclear. PPK adventures sound awesome. Artist stuff sounds awesome. Mostly I'm exhausted and want to go to bed. Some friends are helping Donata tonight; I guess I'll call her around lunch and will take it from there. I'll send Veg Eric an sms so he knows before he checks into the hostel. (All the plans I've read sound fine.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 pm 

I'm leaning towards backing out. Arg! It's so hard. I love adventures and new places and friends. There's just too much happening right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 am 

It's totally understandable if you aren't up for it, considering your schedule lately, lutin. Still, if you change your mind and decide to join us, let Veg_Eric or me know by sms.

Fisticuffs, what time do you think you'd be up for meeting after taking care of the kitties? And where should we meet? Somewhere in the station? You mentioned a restaurant near the station. Do we need to reserve? Is it too late to reserve?

Oh, and I've got both a Dutch phone and a Belgian phone. I'll PM you with my Belgian number (if I can find it).