All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirt Candy's cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Has anyone seen/tried it?

Post subject: Re: Dirt Candy's cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Isn't she the vegetarian chef who dislikes vegans and says she needs pounds of butter to cook?

Hopefully her position has evolved. I do like the name of her restaurant, but I have to admit her silly attitude in interviews turned me off her ventures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am 
Saggy Butt

I hadn't heard that. I just ordered this book yesterday, because I really liked the style and I've heard good things about her restaurant. I was reading about her experience on Iron Chef, where apparently Alton was giving her a hard time for using so much butter, and she said:

"I know my vegan customers, and I know that they’re awesome people with well-developed senses of humor, but one thing that bothered me is that I’ve tried really hard to make sure everyone feels welcome at Dirt Candy and I worry that the focus on how much butter we used is going to alienate some folks. If you’re vegan and you’re reading this, just know that I don’t care about your health, I will destroy you with some of the richest most drool-inspiring vegetarian food you’ve ever had, and I don’t need butter to do it. Trust me: I have a mighty arsenal of weapons that I can use to put your soul into food shock and nine out of ten of them don’t involve dairy." (here: http://www.dirtcandynyc.com/?p=2491)

And everything at the restaurant can be made vegan. So hopefully she has evolved past any of that silliness.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i read a fair bit of it on the Amazon preview. the graphic novel format is cool, and the whole story behind the restaurant and the trials and tribulations of running it interested me more than i expected. i'm considering buying it for that alone.

it also reminded me that i really need to try that place out next time i'm in NY.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:34 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I have been to Dirt Candy. The place is tiny in size, but big on flavor. It is in practice very friendly to vegans. Amanda was there the night I went, and was really friendly and chatty with all the customers (the place sits may 20 people at a time and is 350 square feet).

As for the Dirty Candy cookbook, it bills itself as the first ever graphic novel cookbook, so my bad that I was expecting/hoping for more cooking and less graphics. The graphics are cool though!

I haven't cooked anything out of the Dirt Candy cookbook yet, but here are my initial observations, after a semi-quick perusal:

1) for artistic purposes, the graphics approach is cool and fun to read. For cooking purposes, it's distracting, to me at least
2) she doesn't identify recipes as vegan or vegetarian, so it's only if she provides a vegan option, at the end of the recipe, that you can quickly decide if the recipe is worth making.
3) sometimes she uses ingredients or tools I do not and never will have in my home
4) her cooking style is pretty sophisticated and assumes an intermediate level of knowledge. If I were knew to vegan cooking, I'd find this book pretty off putting.
5) the comics take up ALOT of the book. This is no Veganomicon, folks. Amanda is clear in interviews that it was not her intent to write a Vegetarian Cooking 101 cookbook; rather she was seeking to be innovative. That she was.

In sum, if you're looking for a cookbook chock full of tips and tricks and cool recipes, this is not it. But it does have some, not a lot,but some recipes I'd really like to try. And yes, I'll be going back to Dirt Candy again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56 pm 
Chard Martyr

I ordered this because I have some Japanese manga that are also kind of cookbooks and they are really cool. (Not totally unique, Amanda). I'm looking forward to getting it. I have heard second hand that she's a bisque, but I take all of that stuff with a grain of salt. More veg food? Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:46 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I am loving the idea of a graphic novel cookbook. Although, does the word "novel" really belong in there? But I guess if it was just called a graphic cookbook, people might not get the meaning. Anyway, I'd love to have a look at this book. I'll have to see if any bookstores by me are carrying it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:54 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got it as a gift. Not a lot of recipes or really recipes for meals type things unless you eat/cook fancy nibbles. It is interesting though. Oh and most of the veg recipes have a vegan version.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:17 am 
Chard Martyr

I am kind of loving it, even though it's a little impractical for everyday cooking (yes I do want tomato pearls in my roasted potato soup, but molecular gastronomy is a bit much after a long day at work). The non-vegan ingredients are almost always optional, and I am loving the narrative. There is an adorable page where a drop of canola oil talks about how sad he is that everyone is afraid of him. Even if I never make any of the recipes, I am still learning so much about cooking techniques, and what it's like to open and run a restaurant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just got this one over the weekend and I am in love. I love all the stories and recipes are so interesting. It's a great book if you want to learn how to cook vegetables really well. And I love that there is a cute cow to show you how to make recipes vegan. There are so many exciting ideas like caramelizing onions, dehydrating them, and then blending them with onion broth to make onion soup. Or dehydrating butternut squash to use as dumpling wrappers. I think I'll have to try her butternut bacon. Or the portobello mousse first. I think it's a great book for people that want to try stuff like they make on Top Chef but don't have the know how.

vijita wrote:
(yes I do want tomato pearls in my roasted potato soup, but molecular gastronomy is a bit much after a long day at work).

I think I might have to make these because it's supposed to be the essence of vinegar french fries and ketchup. Plus, if I order the chemicals I can make these spherical olives.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

LazySmurf wrote:
I just got this one over the weekend and I am in love. I love all the stories and recipes are so interesting. It's a great book if you want to learn how to cook vegetables really well. And I love that there is a cute cow to show you how to make recipes vegan. There are so many exciting ideas like caramelizing onions, dehydrating them, and then blending them with onion broth to make onion soup. Or dehydrating butternut squash to use as dumpling wrappers. I think I'll have to try her butternut bacon. Or the portobello mousse first. I think it's a great book for people that want to try stuff like they make on Top Chef but don't have the know how.

vijita wrote:
(yes I do want tomato pearls in my roasted potato soup, but molecular gastronomy is a bit much after a long day at work).

I think I might have to make these because it's supposed to be the essence of vinegar french fries and ketchup. Plus, if I order the chemicals I can make these spherical olives.

You should! I kind of want a cooking partner to get me excited to do this stuff.

It really is an awesome book. I showed it to my foodie (but omnivorous) boss and she was so excited about it. Maybe I'll invite her over for a cooking party.

Yeah, it is extremely vegan-friendly. At first I wanted more recipes but now I'm all about the stories too. The one about her hiring illegal immigrants is really interesting too. And sad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, that story got me too, thinking about the poor guys with all the new clothes. I have been overall surprised about how much I have been enjoying all the stories. I wish I would have gotten the book before I went to New York last week because now I really want to try the restaurant.

I wish I hadn't gotten it concurrently with Vegan Eats World cause all I want to do now is cook complicated vegan food.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

saw this at the bookstore today..... it seems really cool.....

for those of y'all that have it, what are the recipes like. or they super fussy or laid back enough to try out for a week dinner?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

They are super fussy, I haven't tried any yet because they'd be a project but I want to!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hhhmmm.... maybe i can just buy the book for the graphic novel novelty and just enjoy that part ;) for those of you who own the book, is there any strong language/profanity used in the book? that is a huge turn-off for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'd totally buy it just for the art/story, but the recipes do seem really fun. I don't have it in front of me but I'm pretty sure the language is sometimes colourful. As it is in kitchens, y'know?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 pm 
WRETCHED

The look inside feature on Amazon shows some interesting recipes. 2 of them required deep frying though and I've never deep fried anything, is there a lot of frying? Also, it is a personal thing but I never buy cookbooks with black covers but may get over that for this :) For some reason they don't seem enticing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I'd totally buy it just for the art/story, but the recipes do seem really fun. I don't have it in front of me but I'm pretty sure the language is sometimes colourful. As it is in kitchens, y'know?

yeah, i just don't like reading (or hearing/seeing) curse words (or violence, etc...). there have been some eff-bomb exceptions made in the case of excellent writing where the cursing made sense in the context. but generally i find it a huge turn off.

i was just hoping this book wouldn't have a lot of potty mouth or the eff word used.......decisions, decisions.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

akasha wrote:
I hadn't heard that. I just ordered this book yesterday, because I really liked the style and I've heard good things about her restaurant. I was reading about her experience on Iron Chef, where apparently Alton was giving her a hard time for using so much butter, and she said:

dude the amount of butter she used on that episode was CRAZY. i mean it was complete insanity.

im guessing her restaurant and cookbook arent the same though since on Iron Chef you're trying to make the absolute best tasting dish regardless of health but holy cow there was so much butter!