| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 154  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Both my large and small nonstick pots started "shedding" yesterday, and my rice cooker needs to be replaced too. This is going to have to come out of my food budget, I think. They're all about 4 years old, so I'm not surprised it's time to replace them, but damn! shiitake costs money!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

these organic peaches have no flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Don't buy non-stick next time! That stuff is so icky. Cast iron or stainless steel both have given me no more sticking problems than non-stick used to. Just have to remember to heat up the oil first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I am so tired because I went to an amazing vegan pop-up last night (I had a beet burger that used donuts as the bun! ermahgerd!) so now I'm just sitting at my desk, trying to eat enough birthday cake Oreos to give me enough energy to go home.

I am channeling all the kinds of unhealthy right now.

Delicious vegan pop-up. Tasty snacks. Life is hard.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

My name was in the paper as maybe having some unclaimed money, but the lady at the treasury office wouldn't confirm it because I couldn't give her the street address of my college dorm. It was in the middle of a campus; it didn't have one! I don't know what the fizzle address they have.

It's probably like $4, but not knowing is killing me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

My dad ate my gardien and rice I made yesterday for lunch because he thought I was several day old chicken and rice from his dinner a few nights ago. Good thing he liked it and didn't know it wasn't chicken. The bad I was looking forward to eating it for lunch or late night meal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm a 5,5ft woman and I tried buying a chef's jacket today. Turns out, I am too petite for all of them on top, yet my hips are too wide for the bottom. After trying on a bunch, there was one that didn't suck as much as the others. And it's black with ugly glossy stripes and really expensive.

So yeah, chef's clothes manufacturers hate broke women, hips and colors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Paloma, I had the same problem with the uniform for the animal ambulance. I'm 5'0" and a bit zaftig and not one part of that uniform fit like it should. The pants were too tight at the hips but waaaaay too long (I had to safety pin them up on the inside rather than have them cut/hemmed as they were not my property), the shirts that fit over my boobs were huge at the shoulder, but still tight on the hips, and the jacket sleeves were way too long and the jackets didn't fit over my hips either. I think a lot of "uniformy" type clothes are just not designed with a range of women's sizes/shapes in mind.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am 

lepelaar wrote:
Paloma, I had the same problem with the uniform for the animal ambulance. I'm 5'0" and a bit zaftig and not one part of that uniform fit like it should. The pants were too tight at the hips but waaaaay too long (I had to safety pin them up on the inside rather than have them cut/hemmed as they were not my property), the shirts that fit over my boobs were huge at the shoulder, but still tight on the hips, and the jacket sleeves were way too long and the jackets didn't fit over my hips either. I think a lot of "uniformy" type clothes are just not designed with a range of women's sizes/shapes in mind.

It's not just women. People of other genders come in "non-uniform" shapes and sizes too. I can never find clothes that fit...ever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:33 am 

choirqueer wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

It's not just women. People of other genders come in "non-uniform" shapes and sizes too. I can never find clothes that fit...ever.

Good point, choirqueer!

I wish there were more options for getting uniforms custom made when they're required by a job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am 
Inflexitarian

choirqueer wrote:
I really, really hate those "online scheduler" tools. This is invariably what happens to me: Someone sends me an online scheduler. I indicate my available times. Someone else sends me an online scheduler. I indicate my available times, which funnily enough are the same available times I indicated for the previous one, imagine that. Next thing I know, I am scheduled for two things at the same time. This week, for even more fun and games, I've managed to become scheduled for a meeting at the same time as I need to be available to pick a friend up who's taking the bus here from NY, because I looked at my calendar, saw available time, and said, sure it's fine for your bus to arrive in this window of time, I have nothing scheduled on that day! /rant

I hate this! There are so many passed around right at the start of term. They only seem to make things worse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Sucks to have budget issues.
Also sucks to have former housemates leave a mess of contracts, subscriptions & etc. for others to sort out.
(I'm bisqueing about that all over the threads. I'll shut up in a month or so as soon as this is sorted.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 am 

lepelaar wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Good point, choirqueer!

I wish there were more options for getting uniforms custom made when they're required by a job.

Oh in general, I'd love for clothes to have more options for various body types.

And I'm usually the lucking one, with fitting into a lot of things. However, I'd love to be able to buy a bra which doesn't cost 60 euros. Or buying a dress shirt that fits my boobs. Or those really cool safety shoes that look like Allstars, which all my male colleagues wear, which don't come in a size 37. Or jeans that are long enough in the legs without there being a butt crack gap in the back. And that's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm about to go to a vegan sushi competition with all you can eat sushi & I have a sore stomach & feel bloated!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Mars wrote:
Don't buy non-stick next time! That stuff is so icky. Cast iron or stainless steel both have given me no more sticking problems than non-stick used to. Just have to remember to heat up the oil first.

This this this. I broke up with non-stick cookware a few years back. I get better results with just about any dish using cast iron.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love my cast iron pan for most things but lately I have been considering buying a nice nonstick pan to make pancakes, because I cannot get pancakes to not stick in cast iron so I just don't make them anymore which is tragic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

strawberryrock wrote:
I love my cast iron pan for most things but lately I have been considering buying a nice nonstick pan to make pancakes, because I cannot get pancakes to not stick in cast iron so I just don't make them anymore which is tragic.

I found a supposedly eco-friendly non-stick pan at TJMaxx.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm 

Paloma wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Good point, choirqueer!

Oh in general, I'd love for clothes to have more options for various body types.

And I'm usually the lucking one, with fitting into a lot of things. However, I'd love to be able to buy a bra which doesn't cost 60 euros. Or buying a dress shirt that fits my boobs. Or those really cool safety shoes that look like Allstars, which all my male colleagues wear, which don't come in a size 37. Or jeans that are long enough in the legs without there being a butt crack gap in the back. And that's just me.

I think we should all just get to wear whatever the hell we want and not judge each other. How sweet would that be? Why don't we do this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tzippy wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

i make pancakes on my cast iron skillet all the time. no sticking problems here! i wonder what we're doing differently? like, maybe i'm magic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

chouettes crêpes wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

i make pancakes on my cast iron skillet all the time. no sticking problems here! i wonder what we're doing differently? like, maybe i'm magic?

I think you are probably magic, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Nonstick pans are fatal to birds. Seriously fatal! Like, if one little molecule of the coating breaks down and a wee birdiinks exposed to it, they will probably die.

Parrots have insanely sensitive respiratory systems, but this still can't bode well for humans.

Febreze is also fatal to them. What is in that stuff?!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am on day 2 of an eating plan I really want to stick to for the 15 day duration and the person next to me on the tram had hot chips from L0rd of the Fries, with some dipping sauce and it all SMELLED SO GOOD. The worst part is knowing I could have eaten them any other day cos L0rd of the Fries fries are vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:08 am 

choirqueer wrote:
I think we should all just get to wear whatever the hell we want and not judge each other. How sweet would that be? Why don't we do this?

Because wearing what we want to wear can often be complicated by there not being clothes that fit one's specific body type, because The Man decided that we don't get to wear that specific item.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:14 am 

Right. Like people with hips wider than their shoulders don't get to wear ambulance uniforms.

Oh, another thing that I've had problem with re: work clothing is rubber boots/wellies. I've had to wear these at excavations I've worked on and it was completely impossible to find any that fit my calves and my feet. I eventually had to buy a pair in my shoe size and cut a big gash down the middle to accommodate my calves, and then wrap duct tape around them to try to restore a modicum of waterproofing. Not nearly as effective as actually finding boots that fit!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 am 
Inflexitarian

What's the deal with people riding their bicycles at a leisurely pace? I was trying to ride my bike as fast as I could and I kept getting caught behind these people riding super slow. It's like they were trying to have a relaxing ride or something.

In other news, I was just out to run a quick errand and now that I'm back I'm super sweaty for some reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 154  Next