| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I get the pants droop with the ergo too. But I don't wear the belt at my pantsline (which is more towards my hips, my natural waist is very high) which I've always assumed was part of the problem. My solution is a combination of wearing extra long shirts (easy enough to find since I am a short person) and just hiking my pants up a lot.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good to hear nice things about the kinderpack....it looks sorta like a backward Mei Tai, which is the carrier that Freya (god help me, at last) enjoys. I still wear her in there, and we have a Moby that would work too, but I haven't used it in ages. I was just going to ask about backpacks, etc. and then today, someone else online posted about the kinderpack too!

Does anyone use their Moby/stretchy wrap with big babies and/or on their backs? F's pretty comfortable for me still in the MeiTai, but she's too big for the Baby Bjorn, I think now, which is the carrier K could use easily. She's something like 27lbs now, so I'm thinking a back-carry might be nice for us sometimes. I have a toddler sized kid already. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Refinnej, you must be pretty damn strong to be carrying her on the front still at 27 lbs! The Magician is just over 20 now and I've pretty much given up on front carrying him.

I have used the Moby for the Emperor when he was younger (but quite big-- he was about 32 lbs at 1 year) when he was sick... Something nice about that cuddling aspect. I didn't like front carrying in the Moby on a regular basis after he got to like 20 lbs though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The stretchy moby is supposedly not safe for back carrying, not supportive enough. I dread the day malka outgrows the Mei Tai.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

get a woven wrap if you want to do back carries, please!!!

the moby fabric is NOT SAFE for back carries. it is too stretchy, too soft, to hold a baby, particularly a larger baby, on your back. i think a VERY experienced wrapper might be able to get away with it, but no experienced wrapper would, because they know there are far more safe and easy to use fabrics out there for back carrying.

there are so many choices out there besides a born and a moby! have you been using the mei tai on your back? that is a safe option... i do find woven wraps and sscs like the kinderpack, boba, ergo, etc more comfy for back carries than the mei tai, but it works fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

coldandsleepy wrote:

I have used the Moby for the Emperor when he was younger (but quite big-- he was about 32 lbs at 1 year) when he was sick... Something nice about that cuddling aspect. I didn't like front carrying in the Moby on a regular basis after he got to like 20 lbs though.

Wanted to add-- I meant I carried him on FRONT in the Moby when he was that big.

Wish I could figure out a back carry with a woven wrap. I've done it with help from other people and that shiitake is so comfortable. But I can't do it on my own so yeah, ergo the Ergo.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone not liked/not been able to get good use [either with a newborn or an older baby/infant] out of a moby-style wrap?

I have found a baby-wearing group that meets monthly a few minutes from our house [score!] and having heard how slings/wraps/carriers seem to be such a personal choice, I thought I would wait until after the baby is born and go along there to try out some different styles before buying anything, but it does seem that a moby-style wrap is fairly universally popular, and it would be nice to have something to use straight away, especially as the baby is due around Christmas and I don't know how long I'd have to wait for the group to start up again after the holiday...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's why I got the moby, because it was so popular, but I could not figure it out in my sleep-deprived state and basically hated it. If I were to do it again, I would use an ergo with an infant insert, which I did not get until later because I didn't know about it. The thing is, you are so right about personal preference, so it is really hard to know! The moby is a cheaper option, so it is probably not a bad idea to try. Maybe you will love it like everyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
I get the pants droop with the ergo too. But I don't wear the belt at my pantsline (which is more towards my hips, my natural waist is very high) which I've always assumed was part of the problem. My solution is a combination of wearing extra long shirts (easy enough to find since I am a short person) and just hiking my pants up a lot.

That's funny, I thought it was just me. While I do love the ergo, it apparently has this particular problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

well, the good thing about a stretchy wrap is that you can just buy the fabric yourself from a fabric store, and jersey doesn't need to be hemmed. you just want something with a little structure and bounce, not too saggy or soft.

it takes practice to wrap, because it is a fair amount of fabric, and if you're not particularly coordinated, it can be tough to figure out. it is a really nice option for newborns and little babies because it's soft and cozy, but i think you can easily forgo it and start with a woven wrap or any other kind of carrier.

you should definitely go to the babywearing group BEFORE the baby comes! they will hopefully be able to let you try a bunch of different carriers and walk you through putting them on. having a bit of confidence in what style you like and how to wear it will definitely help with trying to wear a newb from the beginning.

winter babies are so great for carriers, i have to say. tzipi needed no winter gear at all her first winter... i dressed her in a sleeper, popped her in the stretchy wrap, and zipped up my coat over both of us.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had worried about looking like a crazy lady turning up to a baby-wearing meeting without a baby to wear, but I will see what dates the meetings are scheduled for and see if I can go along after I finish work to at least ask some questions [they meet on week days which is a bit tough when working full time].

littlebird wrote:
winter babies are so great for carriers, i have to say. tzipi needed no winter gear at all her first winter... i dressed her in a sleeper, popped her in the stretchy wrap, and zipped up my coat over both of us.

haha I am similarly planning on having little newborn clothing, only it's Summer here in December so neither of us will be wearing a coat!

Sorry to hear you didn't like the moby, Kimba - I guess there really is no one-style-fits-all solution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

oh haha, i missed the new zealand part. it's not super hot though, is it? i find sweltering heat impossible for baby wearing... i get way too uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was visiting Arizona in the summer and it was too hot for the ergo. I saw a lady with her baby at the grocery store using a "water sling" which looked like a good option for the heat. It was mesh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A mesh sling...how cool!

Westies...I don't go to our local meet every month, but when I've been there, there have been pregnant women there every time, I think. They have baby dolls for you to practice with, and often the experienced wrappers will demonstrate with their own little one.

I got a Moby at a used charity sale when still pregnant, but Freya didn't really take to it. It has instructions in the booklet provided for back carries! but I too, thought it sounded scary. We have a Baba Sling too, but she's way to big for that, imo, and it was hideously uncomfortable.

What I'd like to end up with really, are two back-capable carriers...one for everyday, and one for hikes. Hopefully my body will be recovered soon and we can do a bit more serious walking, particularly on the weekend.

@c&s, I think the cuddle part is what Freya likes about the MeiTai. She is super adventurous in the pram, on the bus seat or my shoulders, but in the MT she is very zen. She slept in there several times on vacation....amazing for the child who wouldn't have anything to do with slings to start.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

littlebird wrote:
oh haha, i missed the new zealand part. it's not super hot though, is it? i find sweltering heat impossible for baby wearing... i get way too uncomfortable.

yeah it only gets up to low 80s F / ~28C in Summer, but is usually very humid.

I've seen those mesh/water wraps for sale on the local version of ebay though and they look pretty cool!

refinnej, good to know I might look like a weirdo turning up without a bub to practice with! I've actually realised there is a 'Babywearing and natural parenting' expo thing in the beginning of October [on the weekend] because it's apparently international babywearing week so I will probably rock on along to that and see what advice I can get. The internet is awesome but sometimes it's helpful to see things in person!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a water ring sling (mesh) and a single layer Linen ring sling. Linen worked well for us in the 85 plus heat this summer at least for short periods of time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I still use the ergo front carry but it is killer for long periods. Grey goes in the stroller a lot now. He is not a fan of the ergo back carry, can you recommend something else?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:52 am 
Naked Under Apron

littlebird wrote:
well, the good thing about a stretchy wrap is that you can just buy the fabric yourself from a fabric store, and jersey doesn't need to be hemmed. you just want something with a little structure and bounce, not too saggy or soft.

That's what I did! It looked just like my friend's moby, too. I got some nice 60" wide jersey fabric on ebay (all the fabric shops around here seem to only stock quilting fabric and costumey stuff) for £2/meter, so £12 for the whole thing (I could have gotten away with only 5 meters, it turns out -- it stretched a bit) and I have enough left over for either 2 more slings or, since I the leftover fabric is 40" wide, I can still use it for sewing some kind of garment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:06 am 
Semen Strong

I am in the same position LB - our Babywearing group has been such a great resource, if you can find one near you. Leela is tall enough that when she falls asleep in a back-carry in the Ergo, her head and upper shoulders flop backwards out of the Ergo. I went hiking on Monday and ended up having to hike bending at the waist to keep her head against me as she slept.

I think I am going to get a Kinderpack for her, bc it gives her full support... I've heard such good things about the woven wraps, but they seem so fiddly to me. I have one, but I can't manage to make it work.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
I am in the same position LB - our Babywearing group has been such a great resource, if you can find one near you. Leela is tall enough that when she falls asleep in a back-carry in the Ergo, her head and upper shoulders flop backwards out of the Ergo. I went hiking on Monday and ended up having to hike bending at the waist to keep her head against me as she slept.

I think I am going to get a Kinderpack for her, bc it gives her full support... I've heard such good things about the woven wraps, but they seem so fiddly to me. I have one, but I can't manage to make it work.

The Boba has a nice flap that rolls up when not in use and snaps onto the straps; when Walter falls asleep I pull it up behind his head, snap it in place, and then hs head can't loll around.

I haven't used an ergo, but I think the Boba is pretty much the same thing, but with longer straps.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, our Ergo has a hood with snaps, too.

I'm excited for fall baby wearing! Scarlett couldn't stay in any of our carriers for too long this summer because it was so hot. I'm hoping she'll be more comfortable when it's cooler!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:47 am 
Semen Strong

Ours has the hood too. Its just that she doesn't want it on while she is up and once she falls asleep in a backcarry, I can't put it on her without moving the Ergo to a front carry and waking her. Good that you can do it though!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I out grey is the ergo back carry yesterday while running errands and he was perfect angel baby! This was after he was screeching at the mall while I was trying to return a sweater and I thought all hope was lost. The screeching is new and annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am 
Nooch of Earl

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, or spammy, but Ergos are on babysteals.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, that is a good deal! Are the Ergos comfortable for back carries? I've only ever used really sturdy stuff on my back, the kind with frames.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next