| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

appifanie wrote:
sberry - i think one of the samples I had once was maxalt - i don't remember it working great for me but I don't remember anything bad either. also, i wouldn't let a bad taste stop me from curing a migraine :D

Yeah, the idea of a bad taste stopping me from taking something that would make a migraine go away doesn't make sense to me. I had to get special approval from my doctor for my insurance to cover it and now I have to get it by mail order or something, so hopefully I'll have it in a week...stupid Kaiser.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

appifanie wrote:
danger - i think some docs are just flabbergasted by migraines. i once had a doc prescribe me codeine. so not at all useful. how many triptans are you on? as i recall you're not supposed to mix triptans too close to each other.

sberry - i think one of the samples I had once was maxalt - i don't remember it working great for me but I don't remember anything bad either. also, i wouldn't let a bad taste stop me from curing a migraine :D

my doc today was flabbergasted by my increase in migraines - i'm pretty sure it's a southern summer/stress combo. blaaaargh.

I've mixed imitrex/treximet on the same day (usually a few hours later when the imitrex didn't work). the maxalt is a recent addition this year (BCBS decided I could no longer get both 'mets' in the same calendar month). I tend not to take the maxalt too often if I know I'm going to drink (up to 24hrs) as I've had a couple of horrible reactions in the past. They've never mentioned not taking them to close to each other, just not to go past the max dosage for a 24hr period. In looking at my journal, I've taken maxalt and imitrex within the same 24hrs (technically took the imitrex 2 hrs after the maxalt) at least 3 times. just curious... what's suppose to happen when you mix?

remind me appifanie, what are you on as a preventative?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i don't actually have any idea what happens if you mix them but I've had 2 neuros tell me not to. i'm on pamelor which was rocking but the recent summer hot as hell + moving stress = many migraines.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 pm 

Dear Maxalt, I took you and I still have a migraine...so I took Excedrin Migraine too and I still have a migraine...so I'll just be here staring at my computer screen because I don't have the attention span to lie in a dark room like I'm supposed to until it gets even worse. I've got so much shiitake to do today, too!

Also I know I have a migraine because I had four whiskey gingers last night so I can't even feel like self-pity about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

strawberryrock wrote:
Dear Maxalt, I took you and I still have a migraine...so I took Excedrin Migraine too and I still have a migraine...so I'll just be here staring at my computer screen because I don't have the attention span to lie in a dark room like I'm supposed to until it gets even worse. I've got so much shiitake to do today, too!

Also I know I have a migraine because I had four whiskey gingers last night so I can't even feel like self-pity about it.

I hope the meds kick in for you soon! I've been fighting a migraine all day as well. isn't life as a migraineur just freakin awesomenes!! :-\

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:18 pm 

dangersquirrel wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I hope the meds kick in for you soon! I've been fighting a migraine all day as well. isn't life as a migraineur just freakin awesomenes!! :-\

Yup! I hate my short attention span so much, like I can't just close my eyes and be in the dark, I try to do stuff that doesn't involve screens or books but I don't feel good enough to do any of those things! So I end up on the internet because it's what I can manage with how shitty I feel except obviously looking at a screen makes it worse. I should probably go on a walk or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 am 

I'm moving and I can't find my Pamelor!! I didn't take it last night or the night before and I'm getting my period tomorrowish and I am DYING. Barf-worthy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 pm 

You know when you drink white wine because it's usually safe and then you feel a migraine coming on and you're like OH YOU WERE AGED IN WOOD. fork YOU.

I'm going to start a petition requiring wine labels to list tannin content. I hate everything. Also if anyone wants some white sangria featuring local organic fruit there is some in my fridge and apparently I can't forking drink it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:21 pm 

Also maxalt is working ok as a breath freshener but as a migraine medication it doesn't do shiitake. If i take excedrin the caffeine will keep me awake all night which will totally backfire.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm 

oh no! it's amazing how picky our brains can be, isn't it? i myself hate wine as a whole so that's good for me. sorry about maxalt :( i'm really a big fan of zomig. also, when i don't have migraine meds or they don't work or whatever I:

make a hot coffee and drink while
holding an icy cold water in the other hand and drink
and take a pseudoephedrine
and my aleve (aleve doesn't do shiitake for me except when i take it with the zomig, but still)

I have some expired excedrin I do indeed take - the caffeine has never given me issue, and supposedly it's the caffeine that helps with the headache. alas.

feel better soon!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 pm 

I can't do any caffeine at all past 5pm or so or I literally will not sleep, at all. My migraine did go away eventually last night, though I'm not sure if it was the Maxalt or um, another medicinal thing I tried that I think would technically break PPK rules to discuss though it would be legal in my state under certain circumstances. ANYWAY. Then I felt like I had another one coming on when I woke up but it magically faded on its own.

Maybe the Maxalt just takes a while...the Imitrex worked really fast, but those rebound migraines were crazy, but I guess I thought that Maxalt would work equally fast. But also both times Maxalt has worked I've given up on it working then tried something else. So I guess next time I should just take it and wait it out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

glad to hear that eventually something worked for you!

it's funny how some meds work for some people and totally backfire for others. I would be a zombie on pseudoephedrine, and if I need quick acting (i.e. 10 min) I reach for the maxalt. it is never my first choice as I can't drink on it, and sometimes I prefer to drink my migraines away.

I have heard of success with drinking cold drinks on the onset of the migraine, something that would trigger a brain freeze. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. thankfully I've been migraine free for almost 10 day now. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:28 pm 

srock - ha! also, when my triptan works it work w/in 15-30 minutes, so if yours takes longer you can try another one (if your doc is cool). imitrex didn't give me rebounds but it made my heart hurt. i did use midrin for awhile, and that gave me rebounds so bad that i was taking like 6 a DAY and my stupid PA was prescribing me bottles of 500 at a time and I got nervous if I didn't have at least one refill. i eventually detoxed myself off of them and never looked back.

ds - 10 days!! that's awesome! *fingers crossed* I had one yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

appifanie wrote:
srock - ha! also, when my triptan works it work w/in 15-30 minutes, so if yours takes longer you can try another one (if your doc is cool). imitrex didn't give me rebounds but it made my heart hurt. i did use midrin for awhile, and that gave me rebounds so bad that i was taking like 6 a DAY and my stupid PA was prescribing me bottles of 500 at a time and I got nervous if I didn't have at least one refill. i eventually detoxed myself off of them and never looked back.

ds - 10 days!! that's awesome! *fingers crossed* I had one yesterday.

I think I jinxed myself yesterday with all that boasting... we had a storm roll in last night and I woke up with a migraine. I'm going to try the hot/cold drink combo and see if I can catch it without meds.

I've noticed imitrex will give me rebound headaches, but only if I take 2 within a 24hr period.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:02 pm 

i was afraid that would happen! i hope you're doing better!

i had another one today. storms and heat i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This thread has been so helpful. I had no idea that humidity was a factor but it explains my pain right now.

I have a few kind of dumb questions, though. When you do food/envior journals, do you do them in a calendar/planner or just a notebook? Like I said, dumb question, but I'm terrible at keeping up with stuff like that, so any advice would be tremendously helpful.

Also, how did you get the neuro recommendation? I've seen my GP a few times, but have them "under control" compared to where I was a year ago. By under control, I mean down from 2-4 a week (or just one that would last half the week) to no more than one per week...and some weeks I don't even have one. Yet, when I do, they're of loooong duration. I'm on day 2 right now. My maintenance medicine is just an NSAID, but I've been taking it more sparingly because it's pretty strong and I don't want to destroy my stomach lining.

And does anyone else have deja vu as an aura? It kind of freaks me out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:31 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

bekki wrote:
This thread has been so helpful. I had no idea that humidity was a factor but it explains my pain right now.

I have a few kind of dumb questions, though. When you do food/envior journals, do you do them in a calendar/planner or just a notebook? Like I said, dumb question, but I'm terrible at keeping up with stuff like that, so any advice would be tremendously helpful.

Also, how did you get the neuro recommendation? I've seen my GP a few times, but have them "under control" compared to where I was a year ago. By under control, I mean down from 2-4 a week (or just one that would last half the week) to no more than one per week...and some weeks I don't even have one. Yet, when I do, they're of loooong duration. I'm on day 2 right now. My maintenance medicine is just an NSAID, but I've been taking it more sparingly because it's pretty strong and I don't want to destroy my stomach lining.

I used to jot everything down on a calendar, but use a journal now. I really think it depends on what you'll use consistently.

As for seeing a neuro, does your insurance require a referral? If it does, I would go to your GP and ask for it, migraines are a neurological disorder. http://www.americanmigrainefoundation.o ... raine.aspx

I can totally relate to why a 2 day migraine would be consider "under control" ;-)

I have deja vu, but I haven't tracked it in regards to my migraines. off the cuff I would say no, but that's only because my migraines are greater than my déjà vu's. :-\

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:16 pm 

bekki wrote:

yeah i read that people are 9 times more likely to get a migraine when it's hot, but of course triggers are different for everyone.

i use a separate notebook but whatever works for you! i write down what i eat every day and when I'm good i add the weather and if i'm stressed and if i'm getting my period or whatever. right now i'm using a period tracker to track symptoms and it does little graphs of when i have headaches. i use light to indicate a headache that goes away w/o meds, medium for my average migraines, and heavy for migraines that don't go away with one dose of meds.

i have tricare insurance so i see a GP at a military hospital and then they refer me out because they admit they have no talents (i exaggerate a tiny bit). maybe you can just ask? say you appreciate the help thus far but you think you need more specialized help to deal with your pain? the military GP basically quizzed me on my headaches to see if they were really migraines.

good luck!

i'm getting a ton lately. sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

On monday we met up with some friends at the beach right around sunset time and were there for maybe an hour, the first half of which I was sitting in the shade. When I was in the sun though, man was it bright, even with sunglasses, and hot too. Then we went back to the house, still with the friends, as I was feeling the startings of a migraine, which I blame on the cursed beach and sun. I hate it. Then I had to sit there and wait for the imitrex that I took to work, which took over an hour, and though the friends were gone we still had to go somewhere that night, about 1.5 hours away. Did not feel better by this time, and ended up vomiting several times before leaving, luckily not in the car. Once in the car this time it was night, and dark, and the meds starting working and I was ok. But I cannot wait till summer is over. I've lived in the south my whole life, and who would have thought, its just as bad in the north. Trying not to throw up or look agonized when friends are over and more fun-filled activities are apparently par for the course for me, great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:10 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Was the imitrex in tablet form? Sensitivity to light, sound and everything else certainly makes hanging out fun. I also don't recommend being stuck on a plane with meds not working because of having waited too long and reaching the "gastric emptying stopped working" stage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:22 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

it's supposed to be 105 today, with a chance of rain tonight and a cooler weekend (i.e. in the mid 80's). naturally this means I'm miserable and the tiny migraine I've been battling for 2 days will now morph into a monster. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:11 pm 

i'm sorry you guys :( it's actually nice here which is astounding - i keep seeing the forecast and almost weeping with joy. still getting too many migraines but none today or yesterday at least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:16 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've noticed recently that my really bad migraines also come with amazing neck/shoulder pain. Anybody else have that, or am I just super duper lucky?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm 

I get neck pain with mine frequently, but I figure those are my tension type migraines

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yep, I get radiating neck pain if I wait too long to take something.

My brain is currently having its usual monthly hormone-induced tantrum and I had to have lunch in a sushi restaurant yesterday. Of course my sense of smell was performing rather impressively. Nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next