| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meatless Monday Fail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:06 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There's a really terrible Meatless Monday column in the Dallas Observer (the Dallas alt paper). I have a little game I play: each week I see how many times they mention meat and how many times they mention meatless foods. It's a good week if the meatless outnumbers the meat. Well, this week's column is all about how wonderful hamburgers are and the outrageousness of people wanting vegetarian options when they can eat meat. Did I mention meat?

This week's column:
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/2012/09/meatless_monday_and_in-n-out_m.php

And this one has a particularly charming writing style:
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/2012/08/get_in_line_early_at_weinberge.php

So, PPK. Help me come up with next week's Meatless Monday column topic. I'm thinking turkey legs at the state fair.

Post subject: Re: Meatless Monday Fail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

"Given the somewhat limited culinary scope of vegetarian dining in the mass market, your Mondays have been subject to quite a few sandwiches featuring grilled zucchini. And probably a lot of cheese. And then maybe you "Meh" your way all the way back to your desk. Meatless Monday is tough."

BLEAAAHHHHHHHH

OK, here's a topic for you: "Happy" spam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

Meat-eaters: the bad boys of rock

Meat-eaters: toeing the party line since forever

Meat-eaters: new things are scary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:25 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Meatless Mondays: How to eat a block of cheddar like a candy bar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:34 pm 

Meatless Monday: Why is it so hard to change these habits I don't really want to change?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Meatless Mondays: I'm going to make this recipe then add chicken to it anyway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Quote:
Meaning? "Animal style" could soon get you a nasty look from the vegan next to you in line at In-N-Out, a place once reserved for voracious consumers of cow flesh to nosh their burgers without fear of silent judgment.

Shoot, that reminds me I have to give dirty looks to all 90 some odd co-workers I have that ate meat today at lunch. BRB.

OK, I'm back. Yes, In-N-Out is most certainly reserved for voracious consumers of cow flesh. That is why I hand out in the parking lot outside In-N-Out and ask carnivores to go inside and order me a veggie burger, no spread, add kethcup + mustard, onions extra tomato and fries at least once a month. Not sure if that's legal but a sissy non cow-muncher like myself needs help from a big strong meat-eater when he's got a hankerin' for fries.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I Got Assigned Meatless Mondays By My Paper and I Thought The Long Whine Was Better Than Trying Something New

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

On the positive side, the first article made me aware of the change.org petition. How cool would it be to get a veggie burger at In N Out?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:47 pm 

couroupita wrote:
On the positive side, the first article made me aware of the change.org petition. How cool would it be to get a veggie burger at In N Out?

I always wonder about this. With so many people eating less meat, and with frozen veggie burgers being so popular, why don't more of the bigger fast food hamburger joints carry them? It seems like it would make financial sense to have a veggie burger on the menu. I get that In-and-Out has a very limited menu, but why doesn't, say McDonalds, have a veggie burger on their standard menu in the U.S.?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mollyjade wrote:
I always wonder about this. With so many people eating less meat, and with frozen veggie burgers being so popular, why don't more of the bigger fast food hamburger joints carry them? It seems like it would make financial sense to have a veggie burger on the menu. I get that In-and-Out has a very limited menu, but why doesn't, say McDonalds, have a veggie burger on their standard menu in the U.S.?

So they don't attract vegans that give their regular customers dirty looks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Meatless Monday: it's like some crazy suggestion that people could eat something other than meat, like, one day out of the week! (I think it might be Monday.)

Like that's even possible, amirite?!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Burger King has a veggie burger... Not vegan, but at least veg.
http://www.bk.com/en/us/menu-nutrition/ ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh noes, the big bad vegans might come in my meat palace and judge me if the meat men start carrying veggie burgers! Wah.

Big wet fistful of beef. Puke.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

coldandsleepy wrote:
Oh noes, the big bad vegans might come in my meat palace and judge me if the meat men start carrying veggie burgers! Wah.

Big wet fistful of beef. Puke.

I almost considered sigging this but...I just couldn't handle it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:25 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Meatless Monday: The time to wax rhapsodical about all the meat you're not eating that day.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mollyjade wrote:
couroupita wrote:

I wish Taco Bell would go vegan. I bet nobody would be able to tell and it might be a little better. Their "meat" is clearly mostly soy anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

lepelaar wrote:
Meatless Monday: The time to wax rhapsodical about all the meat you're not eating that day.

That's a good one.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
couroupita wrote:

I wish Taco Bell would go vegan. I bet nobody would be able to tell and it might be a little better. Their "meat" is clearly mostly soy anyway.

Hah! True. I love Taco Bell for at least being super vegan friendly. It's saved my life on many road trips and food court meals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

In my experience and what I've heard for other vegans and vegetarians going to Taco Bell is like playing russian roulette. There's a really good chance you'll get animal bits in your food. I went to Taco Bell 3 times as a vegan and on the third time I got both cheese AND sour cream in my food when I twice asked for neither. I actually bit into and swallowed some, so I was pretty mad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Honestly I go to Taco Bell somewhat regularly and have since childhood (I know it's sad but sometimes you need 4th meal), they are not the best at taking orders in general. You have to know how to order so it goes into their computer. Like, Mexican Pizza NO MEAT NO CHEESE or 7 Layer burrito, fresco style no sour cream no meat, no cheese. They have little buttons for each no. It helps to have them read it back too.

Last edited by LazySmurf on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm 

LazySmurf wrote:
Honestly I go to Taco Bell all the time and have since childhood (I know it's sad but sometimes you need 4th meal), they are not the best at taking orders in general. You have to know how to order so it goes into their computer. Like, Mexican Pizza NO MEAT NO CHEESE or 7 Layer burrito, fresco style no sour cream no meat, no cheese. They have little buttons for each no. It helps to have them read it back too.

The thing that drives me crazy there is that you have to say "no meat" even if the dish doesn't contain meat. The seven layer burrito is vegetarian, but they'll add meat to it unless you tell them not to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
Honestly I go to Taco Bell all the time and have since childhood (I know it's sad but sometimes you need 4th meal), they are not the best at taking orders in general. You have to know how to order so it goes into their computer. Like, Mexican Pizza NO MEAT NO CHEESE or 7 Layer burrito, fresco style no sour cream no meat, no cheese. They have little buttons for each no. It helps to have them read it back too.

The thing that drives me crazy there is that you have to say "no meat" even if the dish doesn't contain meat. The seven layer burrito is vegetarian, but they'll add meat to it unless you tell them not to.

The thing that drives ME crazy is that they do that with lettuce and I am forever saying "no lettuce" and they say, "it doesn't come with lettuce" and I'm like, I know it's not supposed too...This happens at Thundercloud too. It's hard out there for a lettuce hating vegan!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mollyjade wrote:

Really? It's been ages since I ate there regularly, but I never recall that happening to me, but I wasn't really veg back then, so maybe the shock wouldn't have stuck with me? Taco Bell was also my first job and I don't recall meat going out where it shouldnt, mainly because they were freaks about food costs.

Anyway, I've realized that Taco Bell is an easy treat/prize to use from time to time with my kiddo, so I'll probably be going more often (as in once per month or less.) But since it's fast food, I'll always check closely prior to chomping down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh the comments:

Quote:
I hope he sits next to me too, so I can eat my burger in the most vulgar manner possible.

Why don't you take your burger, wrap it around your cork, jerk off with it, and then use your custard as special sauce! Is that vulgar enough?