| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad mommy! Bad daddy!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The first time I took my daughter out somewhere in the car it was super cold out (December) and therefore I swaddled her up nice and warm. And then I got out to the car and realised that oh, actually, I can't strap her into the car seat when swaddled. So I had to undo her, in the freezing cold, strap her in, and then try to tuck the blankie around her enough to warm her.

I've also forgotten diapers, wipes, and other things of importance.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This doesn't really make me a bad mommy (unless I get arrested for indecent exposure?), but I had been nursing Scarlett in a sling and forgot to clip my nursing shirt back together and I just walked out my front door with my boob completely hanging out. I only noticed because I looked down to make sure I had my keys. I seriously came really close to going for a walk all over the neighborhood with my boob COMPLETELY hanging out. You get so used to being shirtless around the house, it's hard to remember to put them away!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had a little sticker on my leg the other day, which I peeled off and (though I) tossed in the garbage. Well, I found it in Will's diaper today.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just this morning, during the time it took to start a pot of coffee brewing, Vi managed to walk into the adjacent dining room, climb on my husband's dining chair that was still pulled out from the table (don't get me started), somehow get her foot through the vertical rungs on the upper back of the chair, and get her ankle good and wedged in there. It probably took me 15-30 seconds to get her foot back out. Luckily she escaped with only a very small bruise on her ankle, no sprains or breaks...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This morning in my sleep stupor I let Malka fall off the couch (i.e. step right off of it into thin air thinking she'd somehow land upright). And I totally just watched her do it because somehow my eyes were not communicating to my brain what was happening. She only cried for a second. Kid, go back to being afraid to get off of tall things. Christ.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

kdub wrote:
I had a little sticker on my leg the other day, which I peeled off and (though I) tossed in the garbage. Well, I found it in Will's diaper today.

Oh my, I think I just snorted out loud.

I've lost track of the number of hairs, pieces of food, etc. that come out in Freya's diaper.

When we were on holiday, I was driving an unfamiliar car, and kept banging her foot on the door like every single time we took her out. Not once did she fuss, but still it drove me a little mad.

The not-planning well thing happens all the time. Realizing that your kid needs a diaper/nap/food and you're just not prepared. Now, I've worked with kids for years and years, even in childcare centers where things had to be fairly scheduled. Yet now, I sometimes am at a loss when trying to figure out what to feed the kid or racing home to try and get a "good nap" in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I went to pick up Will from the sitter yesterday. He was napping, so I went to Target... to shop... alone. Then I went back to get him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:44 pm 

Well, that's just smart for everyone concerned, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:03 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wolverine is in daycare now. Whe I bring him I bring my regular bag because I go to work instead of the diaper bag. I just bring a seprate lunch pack for his bottles and lunch. I picked him up last week and had to wait an hour in the car for my partner to get out of work. He took a ginormous poop while we were waiting for him. Luckily I had a pack of disposables in the car waiting to bring into daycare when he ran out but I didn't have ANYTHING in the car to wipe him with. I had already taken his dirty diaper off before realizing this and had to wipe him with a disposable diaper. It didn't work too well so he spent a good hour with a dirty bum. I felt so bad. I should really buy wipes for the car. I am so prepared usually. You should see his diaper bag, it is well stocked for any disaster.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 pm 
Semen Strong

My friend's kid (10 months) can now recognize pictures and say words. She said "Ladybug" and pointed to the picture in front of me. It is because her mom reads to her all the time and is now working on these flashcards. I don't own flashcards and I barely read to her. Because I suck.

My poor kid is going to grow up illiterate thanks to me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 pm 

Flashcards suck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
My friend's kid (10 months) can now recognize pictures and say words. She said "Ladybug" and pointed to the picture in front of me. It is because her mom reads to her all the time and is now working on these flashcards. I don't own flashcards and I barely read to her. Because I suck.

My poor kid is going to grow up illiterate thanks to me.

I know you're (mostly) joking about your kid being illiterate, but it makes me sad when people compare their child's progress to another, especially at such a young age. I'm also skeptical of how much benefit there is from babies learning to recognize objects on flashcards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

kdub wrote:

Ha. Nice work, Will.

The Magician is a paper eater. You cannot leave paper of any form around him, which is hilarious because we live in a house full of books. He has pooped out legible words more than once already. The other day I was holding him and he was nuzzling my chest and I thought he was just being really sweet, but actually I had a book tucked under my arm and he was chewing on the bookmark.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

coldandsleepy wrote:
kdub wrote:

Ha. Nice work, Will.

The Magician is a paper eater. You cannot leave paper of any form around him, which is hilarious because we live in a house full of books. He has pooped out legible words more than once already. The other day I was holding him and he was nuzzling my chest and I thought he was just being really sweet, but actually I had a book tucked under my arm and he was chewing on the bookmark.

Ha, ha, that made me laugh so hard. My daughter is exactly the same.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Henry is a big paper eater, as is our cat Emu, so we like to joke that it's something he learned from her. Nothing can motivate/keep that kid occupied like a stack of junk mail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:52 am 
Semen Strong

The first thing that Leela ever ate was part of an issue of The New Yorker, which clearly makes her an urbane sophisticate. If only it had been a math textbook like annak's Vi... also, i love that you can read The Magician's poop.

Also, no judging in the Bad Mommy, Bad Daddy thread! Its a safe space! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am 

Pshaw. Leela is an awesome kid! If you really want, I can dig up some literature on flashcards et. al. with relation to reading skills, but I suspect you know deep down that the sort of parlor trick "literacy" you're describing is not an indicator of later reading prowess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

coldandsleepy wrote:
kdub wrote:

Ha. Nice work, Will.

Are you keeping track of what words he poops out? There could be a secret message!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:13 am 

Ha! They'll have to call Nicholas Cage to sort it out though, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 pm 
Chip Strong

So yesterday afternoon Ada took a tumble down our stoop steps. She wanted to walk her plastic dog outside and play with bubbles so we brought both out and she was sitting at the top of the steps. The dog was on one side of her and she was trying to blow bubbles. I thought it was super cute so I tried to get a picture. Well she decided to scoot down to the next step and instead fell forward and literally bounced down the steps. I think my heart stopped. Like she was literally bouncing down the steps like a ball would. She cried for a few seconds and then some guy stopped to ask if she was ok and then she stopped crying. She was perfectly fine except for a few red marks that went away and the tiniest scrape on her hand. I brought her inside and checked the rest of her body while I was crying and she just laughed at me. I feel like the worst mother ever and I can't stop picturing her going down. She's over it but clearly I'm not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm 

Oh, that "flashback" sorta thing happens to me too (and just recently to my poor husband). ((hugs)) I have seen so very many toddler injuries and all of the kids turned out just fine. :)