| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Contact Lenses?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

So I just got new glasses about five or so months ago because I felt bad for continuing wearing my contact lenses (can't remember the brand, but they were made by Ciba Vision).

I just really hate wearing glasses, I hate always having to adjust them and clean them, and I always fall asleep with them on. They also have caused some headaches and overall they're just a pain for me.

I really want to get contacts again, but I can't seem to find any vegan ones.

I was Googling around and came across an old forum talking about Daysoft contacts that are supposedly vegan? I emailed Daysoft to make sure they are still vegan, and am waiting to hear back.

The thing is though is that I read on the Daysoft site that they don't make contacts for people with astigmatism (toric lenses), which is an issue for me.

Does anyone else know of any other brands, or have anything to say regarding Daysoft?

Thanks! :)

Post subject: Re: Vegan Contact Lenses?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:03 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am interested in the answer to this too. I wonder if gas permeable lenses are vegan? They do take a long time to adjust to and they are more costly but if your vison is stable and if they are vegan you won't be buying lenses for a long time. This is because they are durable daily clean lens that does not require replacement until your vision changes. The are also healthier because they cover less eye area so they allow lots of oxygen to get to the eye. I am not sure if they are but it might be worth researching.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I started that thread. I have been using Daysoft since October 2010 and love them! They ship fast, are cheap and cruelty free! I've had more success with wearing them than when I wore AcuVue. My eyes don't get all dried out and gross if I wear them too long or fall asleep with them in. Well, at least I hope they still are. If they have changed their policies I will have to go back to wearing glasses, which would totally suck. But after a super quick google search, it seems like they are still good!

Please let us know what they say!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for your responses. I still haven't heard anything back from Daysoft, but I don't think it'd work out anyway because like I mentioned, they don't offer toric lenses. I did find ones that I heard were vegan, the Bio Lens by Marietta Vision. I emailed them to make sure they're vegan, so maybe that'll work out. I'm not sure where I can buy them though, because their website is only for eye doctors to use..

I think I may order 'regular' ones, at least for now, and try to keep searching for vegan ones. I hate supporting these companies though.. :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:25 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

if the concern is animal testing, then just a quick look at their front page confirms that they do not do animal testing. http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/US/ ... epage.aspx

i was looking into this and i read the old thread with someone saying that they wont correct astigmatism. i have it bad, so now i need to scour the site to see if the offer them now.

been wearing contacts for ages now, but ive been thinking about switching to glasses soon anyways, or at least get a pair to give my poor eyes a rest. going to be a rough transition for a bit though i fear.

edit: looks like the do not offer toric lenses. shiitake out of luck for me then. glasses it is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just got contacts and am looking for a vegan alternative, I checked out DaySoft but I was wondering if there are any other companies that I should explore.

Those of you using DaySoft, do you still love them?

Also, looking for vegan eye drops and contact solution, any brands to recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:11 pm 

I've been using DaySoft for 4 years and I love them!

for drops/solution, I recommend http://www.clearconscience.com/index.htm you can get them at pretty much every whole foods.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:52 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

jambot wrote:
I just got contacts and am looking for a vegan alternative, I checked out DaySoft but I was wondering if there are any other companies that I should explore.

Also, looking for vegan eye drops and contact solution, any brands to recommend?

I've been using Daysoft contacts for years. I find them way more comfortable than the ones I had been buying from the optician before, that cost 3 times as much. And they don't dry out. I'm kind of ashamed to admit how often I forget to take them out at night because I just forget I'm wearing them (which is bad, I really need to stop doing that!)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't wear contacts THAT often, so my old supply has been lasting me quite awhile. It's finally dwindling so I think I will check out these Daysoft lenses.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:09 pm 

Snarf wrote:
jambot wrote:

I've been using Daysoft contacts for years. I find them way more comfortable than the ones I had been buying from the optician before, that cost 3 times as much. And they don't dry out. I'm kind of ashamed to admit how often I forget to take them out at night because I just forget I'm wearing them (which is bad, I really need to stop doing that!)

I do that too! I wear the dailies, and I get WAY more than a day out of them....

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I use them when I can be bothered to put them in. I find them pretty comfortable and stuff... never given me any problems. The ones I used previously would occasionally tear when taking them out, leaving me with half a contact floating around in my eye, but that's never happened with these.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have been using DaySoft lenses for almost a year now and I love them. As they are manufactured in the UK (which does not follow our FDA guidelines where they test everything on animals) they are cruelty free.
Very comfortable and very inexpensive!