| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perú
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:42 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My fiance and I are going to Perú in a few weeks and I'm beginning to get a bit nervous about vegan options. I've been to Costa Rica (completly different, I know) and had no problem. I'm excited for fresh fruit and vegetables. Some say to avoid them just as they did with Costa Rica but I had no problems.

Does anyone have experience eating in Peru that they could share?

Post subject: Re: Perú
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I went a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem eating vegan! Where are you going in Peru? I was in Lima briefly, Cusco, hiked the Inca Trail, and did a mountain bike tour into the Amazon Jungle. My two travel mates were both omni, so I compromised a few times and went to places they wanted to eat and it was never a problem. I think every place we went to had pizza and they were great about just leaving the cheese off. They also compromised for me and we went to some great veggie places (especially in Cusco). The Inca Trail (4 days hiking/camping) and the Amazon Jungle (2 days) actually had the best food of the whole trip. I let the companies that we did the tours with know ahead of time and they prepared vegan food for me at every single meal (and it was all amazing!) Lima was my least favorite part of the trip, but that was because it was just a really huge, overwhelming city (and I've lived in NYC for 8 years, so I'm used to cities...) and I'd rather be somewhere pretty (and it is not really a pretty city, for the most part.)

I wrote a blog post about it and it has the food parts toward the end: http://my-zoetrope.blogspot.com/2010/05/peru.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

There are a lot of Israeli restaurants in Cusco which are pretty good for veg stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

This might be too little, too late, but have you checked happycow.net? I remember seeing several vegan-friendly places listed there.

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hi there!

So I'm thinking of perhaps doing a trip on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in 2013. I'm researching different companies. Zoetroppe thanks for linking to your post! Does anyone else have any experience? I'm looking for recommendations for good guide companies, especially ones that will accommodate vegans.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

very veggie wrote:
This might be too little, too late, but have you checked happycow.net? I remember seeing several vegan-friendly places listed there.

When I was travelling around South America I found many of the restaurants featured on Happy Cow had appeared to have closed down. Not good when you've walked halfway across a city to get there! /;

I only spent a week or so in Peru, but I remember being pleased with the vegan selection there (although to be fair I'd just spent six months in Argentina, a place you reallly don't want to go to if you're vegan; even they soy milk's not vegan). I didn't do the Inca Trail but my vegetarian friend did and said it was fine. The places I visited were pretty tourist (and therefore vegetarian) friendly... The only time I had a problem was when I went on a tour of the Colca Canyon and in the evening the tour group stopped at this restaurant and I had to spend 15 minutes discussing my limited options with the waitress who didn't know what veganism was while everyone else tucked into llama and guinea pig. /;

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My Zoetrope wrote:
I went a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem eating vegan! Where are you going in Peru? I was in Lima briefly, Cusco, hiked the Inca Trail, and did a mountain bike tour into the Amazon Jungle. My two travel mates were both omni, so I compromised a few times and went to places they wanted to eat and it was never a problem. I think every place we went to had pizza and they were great about just leaving the cheese off. They also compromised for me and we went to some great veggie places (especially in Cusco). The Inca Trail (4 days hiking/camping) and the Amazon Jungle (2 days) actually had the best food of the whole trip. I let the companies that we did the tours with know ahead of time and they prepared vegan food for me at every single meal (and it was all amazing!) Lima was my least favorite part of the trip, but that was because it was just a really huge, overwhelming city (and I've lived in NYC for 8 years, so I'm used to cities...) and I'd rather be somewhere pretty (and it is not really a pretty city, for the most part.)

I wrote a blog post about it and it has the food parts toward the end: http://my-zoetrope.blogspot.com/2010/05/peru.html

So happy to see this! Anyone who's trekked the Inca Trail--what footwear did you choose? I'm debating between hiking boots and trail runners--some people seem to think that heavier, stiffer hiking boots are more likely to result in blisters, while others think that trail runners will have too little ankle support... I'm definitely having better luck finding vegan trail runners (though I know vegan hiking boots are out there), but whatever I get, I want to start breaking them in soon....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Gwenlet wrote:

So happy to see this! Anyone who's trekked the Inca Trail--what footwear did you choose? I'm debating between hiking boots and trail runners--some people seem to think that heavier, stiffer hiking boots are more likely to result in blisters, while others think that trail runners will have too little ankle support... I'm definitely having better luck finding vegan trail runners (though I know vegan hiking boots are out there), but whatever I get, I want to start breaking them in soon....

I wore the Garmont Kiowa Vegan Hiking shoes, but they appear to be discontinued now. I loved them and they worked really well on the trail for me, no blisters, and I didn't even break them in beforehand as much as I should have. Not sure if there is a newer version of these, but this is what they looked like, for reference: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/garmon ... n~p~2169t/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My Zoetrope wrote:

I wore the Garmont Kiowa Vegan Hiking shoes, but they appear to be discontinued now. I loved them and they worked really well on the trail for me, no blisters, and I didn't even break them in beforehand as much as I should have. Not sure if there is a newer version of these, but this is what they looked like, for reference: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/garmon ... n~p~2169t/

Thanks! Any other-than-obvious supplies you'd recommend? I am not an experienced trekker, so though I'm extremely excited, I'm also somewhat trepidacious...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

As long as you stick to the tourist towns, Peru is easy for vegan food. Once you leave those towns it gets super limiting.

I didn't do a guided tour, but when I asked about it they said that vegan would be fine. You don't need much for the trail... wet wipes are the one thing I would suggest that they don't tell you. The farmacies in Peru sell them. I've trekked a lot elsewhere and packed and got in the van for the Salkantay Trek (there were strikes that closed the road so we cancelled rather than delay it, I was ready to leave Peru).