| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 am 
Saggy Butt

I still haven't been able to watch the second episode, but I definitely want to do so! I'm just going to wait until I can gather my parents, because they are pretty much zombie-virgins, and it's funny for me to go through spoiling everything five seconds before it happens.

I'm not sure I'm in love with the series for much more than MST3K fun, though. I mean, I was calling every plot point through the whole thing. It was all:

Spoiler: show
K: What's that pair of slippers - is that a little girl?
Me: A little girl zombie who is going to get shot point blank in the head as a way to make the opening dramatic.

K: OMG THERE'S ONE BEHIND HIM.
Me: No, that's totally gonna be our token minority character.

P: Oh, a horse!
Me: How're they going to re-shoe it?
P: Y'know, I'm not sure.
Me: Man, that horse is gonna bite it. Hard.

Me: No! No! Don't go into the city, you noob! Do you not see the CARS? *sigh*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

xGreenling wrote:
I still haven't been able to watch the second episode, but I definitely want to do so! I'm just going to wait until I can gather my parents, because they are pretty much zombie-virgins, and it's funny for me to go through spoiling everything five seconds before it happens.

I'm not sure I'm in love with the series for much more than MST3K fun, though. I mean, I was calling every plot point through the whole thing. It was all:

Me: A little girl zombie who is going to get shot point blank in the head as a way to make the opening dramatic.

do those things really make you not like the show? i knew that first girl was a zombie and that it was bad news to go against all those cars into the city, but it's still really exciting and terrifying! I don't think it's possible for a zombie show to be 100% original because they have to stick to common zombie mythology for the most part, but they are doing it in a really awesome, dramatic way that most other zombie movies don't seem to be able to pull off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 pm 
Joking!

xGreenling wrote:

Noob? I think everyone would be a noob when it comes to a zombie apocalypse right?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

FYI..for those of you that have missed it..AMC is replaying the first and second episodes right now before the new one comes on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Now I don't know what the best show ever is, Glee or Walking Dead. What I love most about this show is that stuff happens. Every episode has been satisfying and in every episode the there's progress. You know how some shows just hinge on suspense and there's never payoff? They don't do that. And for that I salute them. Oh also, I love long scenes! And they're not afraid of long scenes. Good job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I guess it's not as easy to just break your thumb to get out of hand cuffs as they make it seem on other tv shows. or maybe he just never watched other tv shows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I keep waiting for Shane to be like, "P.S.: I've been boning your wife. Sorry 'bout that." Suspense!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

IsaChandra wrote:
Now I don't know what the best show ever is, Glee or Walking Dead. What I love most about this show is that stuff happens. Every episode has been satisfying and in every episode the there's progress. You know how some shows just hinge on suspense and there's never payoff? They don't do that. And for that I salute them. Oh also, I love long scenes! And they're not afraid of long scenes. Good job.

Can you image a Walking Dead themed Glee? THAT would be the best show ever.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 am 
Joking!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I guess it's not as easy to just break your thumb to get out of hand cuffs as they make it seem on other tv shows. or maybe he just never watched other tv shows.

What I don't get is why, if he got the saw, did he not just cut through the hand cuff chain? Cutting through the chain would have been way easier than cutting through flesh and bone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

panda wrote:
What I don't get is why, if he got the saw, did he not just cut through the hand cuff chain? Cutting through the chain would have been way easier than cutting through flesh and bone.

Not all hacksaw blades can cut metal. We learned that in Saw. But yeah, homeboy could have just cut off a thumb or something. SHEEEEEEESH.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm 
Joking!

ilikeapplejuice wrote:
panda wrote:

Not all hacksaw blades can cut metal. We learned that in Saw. But yeah, homeboy could have just cut off a thumb or something. SHEEEEEEESH.

Aaaahh....I didn't learn it because I only saw half of the first movie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

ijustdiedinside wrote:
do those things really make you not like the show? i knew that first girl was a zombie and that it was bad news to go against all those cars into the city, but it's still really exciting and terrifying! I don't think it's possible for a zombie show to be 100% original because they have to stick to common zombie mythology for the most part, but they are doing it in a really awesome, dramatic way that most other zombie movies don't seem to be able to pull off.

Quite the opposite - those things are what make me enjoy it. It's just that rather than being entertained by gripping suspense or an intriguing plot or deep characterization (which are my usual poison) I'm entertained by being amused at the familiar tropes. And it's still fun to watch for the action scenes and the makeup and the crowds; and watching exactly how things play out within the framework. It's like reading Harry Potter knowing who dies. You still don't know what happens in between, so it's still a good read.

(This seems to happen a lot with people I know. "Well, I knew Dumbledore and Sirius would have to bite it to get parental/mentor figures out of the way, and Snape had to have Death Equals Redemption," or "There are three seasons, right? So Zuko's gonna have a false Heel Face Turn at the end of two, and actually have his Heel Face Turn some time during three" or, well, this. I think I just hang out with genre-savvy people.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I have a question for those that have read the comic books, and I don't want to look it up cause I don't want to get spoiled. But does anyone know if the tv show is going to go beyond the comic? Like, does the TV show end when the comic does? Does the storyline break off at some point? No specific spoilers, please! Just let me know if you know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

IsaChandra wrote:

I need things like suspense and decent characterisation in order to care about it when things do actually happen. Plenty of stuff goes down for sure, but I found watching another episode quite tiresome in places.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:03 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

IsaChandra wrote:
I have a question for those that have read the comic books, and I don't want to look it up cause I don't want to get spoiled. But does anyone know if the tv show is going to go beyond the comic? Like, does the TV show end when the comic does? Does the storyline break off at some point? No specific spoilers, please! Just let me know if you know.

I'm told that the first episode was pretty much exactly like the comic, but it has diverged since. And there are like 78 issues and counting of the comic, so maybe it'll just kind of skirt along within broad strokes of the comic until its inevitable cancellation after the second season. You know, due to the actual collapse of civilization.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

dakini wrote:
I keep waiting for Shane to be like, "P.S.: I've been boning your wife. Sorry 'bout that." Suspense!

I was full expecting Carl to exclaim "but mom! where is uncle Shane gonna sleep?!"

Also, I do not like that their kid is named Carl. I know this may be ageist of me, but I've never known a Carl that was younger than 50.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Did I hear correctly that there are only 3 episodes left? That's only half a Mad Men season, which is already too short. I wonder what's next.

The part where the ladies were talking about missing their vibes was funny, until that crasshole Ed ruined it. You know Shane went even harder on him because he was peased about other things.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

boychucker wrote:
Did I hear correctly that there are only 3 episodes left? That's only half a Mad Men season, which is already too short. I wonder what's next.

The part where the ladies were talking about missing their vibes was funny, until that crasshole Ed ruined it. You know Shane went even harder on him because he was peased about other things.

That's exactly what I said re: spoiler.

Indeed, they weren't sure how well the show was going to do but a second season has been approved!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

cakenstein wrote:
dakini wrote:

I was full expecting Carl to exclaim "but mom! where is uncle Shane gonna sleep?!"

Also, I do not like that their kid is named Carl. I know this may be ageist of me, but I've never known a Carl that was younger than 50.

Hi I just registered and this show is so awesome I had to post about it!

1. My boyfriend's name is Karl, but as you can see he spells it with a K because he is German. But it is definitely an unusual choice.

2. This show is amazing. I'm actually surprised by how much I like it because I hate horror movies and gore. But I really like learning more and more about the survivors and what they do to survive. I keep watching it because I want to know what's going to happen next to them. Whenever there is a nasty zombie scene I usually cover my eyes.

3. I still can't believe this is a TV show! I know it's on cable but still! They started replaying the first episode at 8pm last night, kids are still awake then. I think I would be scarred for life if I watched this when I was young.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

This show makes me want to bone my t.v.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

IsaChandra wrote:

It's been a while since I read the comic, but yeah, the storyline more or less broke off right after the first episode. Rick goes to Atlanta in the comic, but the only person he finds there is Glenn. Some of the other characters are the same (Dale, Amy, Andrea), but there's no Merle, no Darryl, and just less survivors in that camp overall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
This show makes me want to bone my t.v.

Agreed

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Can we reserve the spoiler tag for when things are actually spoilers (before an episode is aired/comic book stuff)?

I'm liking this show way more than I thought I would. Maybe it's desensitizing me to zombies. I don't mind the gore as much as the creeping suspense and anxiety and that seems to have decreased since the first episode.

Merle seemed a bit delirious from exposure, so perhaps he wasn't thinking clearly when he chopped his hand off. He doesn't seem like the most intelligent character either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was just walking to my car in a large parking lot and there were dry leaves blowing around and total silence and nobody else in sight and I got EXTREMELY freaked out. Zombie apocalypse!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

the second episode was rubbish. The new characters are rubbish and that weird speech with the drivers licence of the zombie, ugh...TERRIBLE dialogue. although I do love Glenn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next