| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

So, 10km on Sunday was fun. I wonder... I wonder if two months would be a realistic time frame for a first timer to move from 10k to a half marathon? Thoughts? It would fit the 10% increase per week guideline, barely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

Tea, I did a 10 week half marathon training program and my long run when I started was probably in the 6-7 mile range. You're kind of right in that range, time and distance-wise. I used a first-timer's program that I found in Runner's World that alternated between short/easy, tempo and long runs and I didn't feel rushed or pushed through it (well, the tempo runs were hard, but that's kind of the point...) You can do it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 am 
Human Gravy

gally wrote:
I m quite conscious about my health and fitness.I'm doing fartlek/interval training at the moment in my off season (3 times per week). Need to do some slower, longer runs but find that intervals etc really kick my arse and aren't boring.

You just need to find a more interesting place to run :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 am 
Inflexitarian

monkeytoes wrote:
Tea, I did a 10 week half marathon training program and my long run when I started was probably in the 6-7 mile range. You're kind of right in that range, time and distance-wise. I used a first-timer's program that I found in Runner's World that alternated between short/easy, tempo and long runs and I didn't feel rushed or pushed through it (well, the tempo runs were hard, but that's kind of the point...) You can do it!

I found this training schedule. Week 3 more or less describes last week for me, so I already have a head start. I'm just concerned because it's the start of a new school year and there are swarms of undergrads all over the place; this is usually the one time of year I get sick, so I'm anticipating that throwing a wrench into any training plans. But, I guess I can start training anyway and then sign up for the half-marathon when it's closer and I have a better idea where I'm at!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 am 
Dead by dawn

In my (albeit fairly limited) experience training for endurance events, my immune system loves me for training and then quits me as soon as my race is done. You can't really control that, but you can train with the intention of doing that run and just see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

I went running on the beach this morning just as the sun was rising over the sea. Beautiful.

I've spent the summer doing a lot of travelling & it has been great running in new places & countries. I've managed to run in the Orkney Islands, the Faroes & Iceland. I shall definitely be taking my running kit with me every time I travel from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

Chickpea wrote:
I went running on the beach this morning just as the sun was rising over the sea. Beautiful.

I've spent the summer doing a lot of travelling & it has been great running in new places & countries. I've managed to run in the Orkney Islands, the Faroes & Iceland. I shall definitely be taking my running kit with me every time I travel from now on.

I love running on vacation! Different scenery, different wildlife. I'll never see an armadillo running in Seattle, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:59 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Another run on monday, 30 minutes but better than last week. Keep on rocking!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Do you guys run with pacers during races? I followed one for the first time on Sunday and found out the hard way that i don't like it. And they're called pacemakers here which I find really funny for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've never been in a run with pacers. I didn't even know they existed until yesterday when I was reading about marathons in the area (nowhere near ready. Just looking at when next years big events were). In one they're apparently called Pace Rabbits and (supposedly) actually wear bunny ears, which is delightful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

There have been pacers in two of my three half marathons (including ones with bunny ears in Vancouver) but I have never used them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Saturday I had a 50 minute beach run & today I had a 6am 30 minute run on the cliffs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

35 minute run this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

30 minute run last night & a 66 minute run on the beach today. That's the longest I've run for!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Nothing motivates me as much as heavy rain and Motorhead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

Today's long-run was 14.5ish km.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:57 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Just shy of 8 miles today. I decided not to do a half this fall--I feel like I'm slogging through my workouts, and it's been a bit much since work and school started. I still have the Manchester Road Race to look forward too, though, and I'm going to try for a PR!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I finished Couch to 5k last Saturday, so I'm moving over to this thread! I'm officially on my own for training now. Still pretty much a beginner.

Last week I did my intervals on the elliptical instead of running, to give my hip a break. Then I increased my running time (to 32 minutes!) and Saturday I ran a "practice 5k!" It was fun running outside along the water, there was a gorgeous ocean breeze. I finished in 49:54!! (planned walk breaks every 12-15min.) I was hoping to come in spitting distance of 50 minutes and work my way down from there; I never expected to be under 50 my first time out!

My first 5k is October 27. I'm pretty excited.

This week I'm going to try and increase my running time again, and maybe do a tempo run on Friday. It's both weird and exciting to be on my own... I didn't trust myself to really keep pushing myself in training once I was off an official program, but I'm doing okay because I just want to run! Did my intervals on the bike this morning. Boo! Boring! I'd rather be running! Bringing my shoes on vacation next week; at least one of our hotels has a fitness center. Yaaay!

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

Woohoo Mack! Congrats on finishing C25K. If you find yourself wanting a structured program again, I think there's a "bridge to 10k" or something like that. Or if you want to stick with 5k and work on the time, there were a few 5k goal time programs in a recent issue of Runner's World. I could look for that issue if you're interested.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 am 
Saggy Butt

Congrats, mack! And everyone else! You guys are so inspiring.

But! I'm kind of panicking. I forked up my knee on my last long run. It was a week ago and it's slowly getting better but i've had to take it really easy. I only have 2 weeks until a marathon though! As much as i tell myself that this is my taper anyway, the best thing i can do is rest it, i'm already marathon trained, etc. i still feel like i'm missing out on the last few crucial training weeks. It makes me nervous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'd signed up for a half marathon on October 13th, but I won't be able to do it. :(
They called from the hospital on tuesday and asked if I'm up for surgery on monday, and I don't think I'll be able to recover enough to run a half marathon in just 12 days. And this was my last chance this year to do a half marathon where I live.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sorry to hear you have to defer your race, Love Child. That's disappointing :( Good luck with your surgery!

inceptisol, I hope your knee heals up quickly! Enjoy your taper!

I have taken a unplanned hiatus from running, almost since in marathon in May. Basically, I have been going through some seriously tough times, and I haven't had the heart or physical strength to run. But, today I was feeling pretty good and I was able to manage a 5km run! I was really worried that I had lost significant fitness but it felt doable. I'm excited to fall in love with running again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:43 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I did my first 5k in a couple of years on Sunday, in 35.25. Not too bad, considering I'd only gotten up to 3.5k in training.

I've signed up for a 10k on 17th November, so I need to get running, but have to get over a stupid cold first, grrr!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:42 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

monkeytoes wrote:
Woohoo Mack! Congrats on finishing C25K. If you find yourself wanting a structured program again, I think there's a "bridge to 10k" or something like that. Or if you want to stick with 5k and work on the time, there were a few 5k goal time programs in a recent issue of Runner's World. I could look for that issue if you're interested.

Thanks! Sorry, I dropped off the face of the earth this week!

I'm leaving for vacation today so no internet for a week, but I'm definitely interested in working on my 5K time when I get back! I think I wanna get a little faster before working up to 10k.

Hugs for LoveChild & inceptisol. Happy knee/surgery healings to you!

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Thank you guys. I did my last pre-op run today and tried to really enjoy it. And I did, fastest run ever!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 139  Next