| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So I appear to be living in LA now...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:45 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm officially a broke grad student. I don't have a car right now (I know), but I plan on driving it up as soon as I can (probably this winter).

Anyway, I'm nearest to Culver City, and if anyone has any advice on where to shop, get food, be entertained for minimal $, etc. that would be pretty awesome. I have access to some free shuttles, but they don't go all that far (I can get to Trader Joe's and the beach). After that, I think I'll be experimenting with bus systems.

I'm looking for a job first, but I do hope to move somewhere in Culver City or Venice either between semesters or this summer. Any an all information would be awesome.

Post subject: Re: So I appear to be living in LA now...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Awesome! I'm so happy for you (even if you are on the wrong coast).

May you have a wonderful year full of clever writings, cookies, and absolutely no strange or random mishaps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Welcome! What are you doing for Grad school? There's a hare krishna center over near you for cheap veg-friendly buffet style dining :) And, you're on the right side of town for posh vegan eats...and Native Foods, which isn't posh, but isn't exactly cheap either! There's also a rumour that there's a bulk grocer near culver city, but I live on the other side of town, so I don't really know :) As for free things...For Your Art has great curated listings, tons of artist run spaces, etc. so it's a good way to get into that, if you're into that.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Awesome! I'm so happy for you (even if you are on the wrong coast).

May you have a wonderful year full of clever writings, cookies, and absolutely no strange or random mishaps.

Aw! I hope I do not experience mishaps. :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:51 pm 

indexandicon wrote:
Welcome! What are you doing for Grad school? There's a hare krishna center over near you for cheap veg-friendly buffet style dining :) And, you're on the right side of town for posh vegan eats...and Native Foods, which isn't posh, but isn't exactly cheap either! There's also a rumour that there's a bulk grocer near culver city, but I live on the other side of town, so I don't really know :) As for free things...For Your Art has great curated listings, tons of artist run spaces, etc. so it's a good way to get into that, if you're into that.

I am a film student (specifically writing and producing)! Because that is smart!

I will have to look up this Hare Krishna place. I went to Native Foods my first night here and had the scorpion burger, which I liked a lot, but I think that place will be a little out of my budget until I get a job. Thanks for the art link! I do like that sort of thing. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:51 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

DangerZone wrote:
I will have to look up this Hare Krishna place.

Govinda's. It's one block on the other side of Venice Blvd (north?) on Watseka:

3764 Watseka Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 836-1269

http://harekrishnala.com/govindasla/#.UD1ZEGlYtGA

All you can eat buffet for, maybe $6? Excellent salad and a few vegan hot options (bread there is not vegan, though).

An excellent choice for Thanksgiving, they do it up. Reserve in advance.

Also, Samosa House East on the corner of Washington and Overland.

Re: Native Foods; they have a frequent eater thing (loyalty program?) that will result in some free odds and ends after a bit. The email list also notifies of specials.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

http://www.indiasweetsnspices.com/

They have quite a few vegan options. Take out style, not too pricey. They also have a small grocery store with interesting Indian spices and food.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Try Versailles. It's cuban food on Venice and Motor. Veggie Grill in Santa Monica is great. I third Govindas as well. Loved that place.

I don't know where you're a grad student, but if it's UCLA, your ID gets you unlimited access to the Santa Monica Blue Buss. That should let you get around to a lot of places without it costing anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Culver City has a Trader Joe's, so I'd start there for cheap vegan eats. :) Native Foods is amazing, of course, but you're right -- it's not that cheap. You are on the more expensive side of town, but there are a lot of great places in Venice, Santa Monica, etc. and there are lots of good bus lines to get you there cheaply. And now with the Expo Line you can easily get downtown, where there are some great places (e.g. Pizzanista has vegan pizza, Localita is a super tiny all vegan shop that also sells sandwiches). As a former very broke grad student in L.A., all I can really say is shop at Trader Joe's and utilize mass transit. Gasoline and parking in L.A. suck. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm 

I do my grocery shopping at the Trader Joe's on Sepulveda, because I get free transportation there. :)

It looks like I am going to be without my car a bit longer (and my school now charges more than $300 for parking), so I'll have to look into the Expo line. I've been having trouble finding employment, because it's hard to get anywhere, gah! But I've taken the bus to Venice or Santa Monica, because it's a $2 round trip, and I'd love to explore downtown a bit. Thanks for the advice! :)