| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Not Bombs - Boston/Cambridge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Hey PPK! Do you volunteer with FNB in Boston? Have you been thinking about it?

I have been thinking about it for awhile and feel like it is the right thing to do and the right time to get involved. I know they are having a volunteer party Friday night(Nov 19) and plan on RSVPing to attend. Will any of you be there?

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Food Not Bombs - Boston/Cambridge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:21 pm 
ugh

I've never been involved, but I've been interested since someone mentioned them in another thread. I don't know how much I'll be able to do right now but I might look into it more after the holidays. If you go, let me us know how it goes!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I also might be interested but I can't go on Friday because we're going to see Harry Potter. I would love to hear more about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Saggy Butt

I talked to my wife about it this morning and we're also interested, and also can't make it tomorrow. Can you let us know how the volunteer party goes?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:38 am 

Boooo I actually can't make it friday. But I am still interested in volunteering. I emailed them yesterday about it. If you guys are definitely interested in volunteering, email them at fnbboston@gmail.com and let me know when you are going to start so we can be newbies together! I am thinking about starting this sunday

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:12 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am hours away, but yay for everyone in this thread! Go out and serve your community!

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:52 am 
ugh

Did you ever go? How was it?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:17 pm 

no, I suck. Life has been so crazy lately. After the holidays are over and i have time to breath again im going to start going at least twice a month.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 am 
ugh

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
no, I suck. Life has been so crazy lately. After the holidays are over and i have time to breath again im going to start going at least twice a month.

Haha, I don't blame you, my schedule is pretty crazy right now, too! I'd like to give it a shot after the holidays. We should plan to do it together!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 am 

b.vicious wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:

Haha, I don't blame you, my schedule is pretty crazy right now, too! I'd like to give it a shot after the holidays. We should plan to do it together!

Definitely!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 pm 
ugh

VFR, you went yesterday, right? Tell us about it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 pm 

I did go! Stephanie, the girl that organizes the Boston Vegan Drinks, came with me which was pretty cool because we had never met IRL before. We were both only able to help with the handing out the food portion yesterday so we got to Central Sq at 3 and didn't see anyone. We kind of waited around for a little while and then went and got some tea to warm up, I guess they were running late. nbd. We went back and met up with the 2 people giving out the food and let them know we were there to volunteer, etc et. Normally there are more than 2 people there and there is much more food but I feel like we kind of lucked out with it being so small because we really got a chance to ask a lot of questions and see how they do things.

They do 2 meals weekly, one on Fridays at Park St but they cook at a community center in JP.
The meal on Sunday is cooked at a house in Central Sq and served right down the street at the corner of Mass and River. I am going to be volunteering for Sundays, hopefully I will be able to make it every week but at least 2x a month would be cool. They start cooking at 11 am, load up all the food on the bike cart and bring it to the spot. Chill there handing out food until 5 and load the bike cart back up. If there are a lot of leftovers they will sometimes bring it to the woman's shelter or if there is an upcoming protest or rally they are interested in they will go help out there and serve food. After everything is done they bring the dishes, food etc back to the same house in Central and do all the cleanup.

They seem like a really great group of people who are obviously doing an amazing thing. And the food was pretty yummy too, they had whole wheat pasta with a tofu "meat" sauce. I'm looking forward to going back Sunday. If anyone is interested, definitely let me know and we can go together!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]