| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Teeth Whitening
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Gulliver wrote:
"Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is an oxidizer commonly used as a bleach", first line of the Google search. (Which is completely scientific.)

Anyway, I'm aware that this is a cultural thing to some extent, as British people are less fussy about the colour of their teeth as long as they are not, like, yellow. We do have the healthiest teeth in the world, though! (Because dental healthcare is subsidised a lot, there isn't so much of a "if poor, then black teeth" causal relationship. Poor people get better dental care within the public system because they have access to ways to not pay).

"Used as a bleach" =/= "bleach." In fact, I'd say that more suggests the opposite. For example, I can use saliva as lube, but that doesn't mean I'm spitting Swiss Navy.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:15 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've successfully whitened my teeth with a paste using baking soda+water. It tastes foul but I brush it off after a couple minutes so it's not that horrid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:49 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Using acids or baking soda to remove stains has the potential to damage the enamel on your teeth. As you get older your enamel thins naturally, you really don't want to speed that process up. Thinning enamel leaves your teeth looking grey and dull, no matter how much you whiten them.

I'm using the crest strips atm, my teeth had got so yellow it was affecting my self-confidence, like nuclear yellow! I went though a year of braces and didn't want to smile in photos because I looked like a 60 adayer (I don't even smoke!). I didn't want to use the gels with my retainers because the glycerine and Urea can be animal based (although less likely on the urea from what I've read) and I know I suck my retainers in my sleep. With the crest strips I only have them in for 30 mins and spit any drool out (they do make you drool!). I hate that they're tested on animals but I think, with them being on the edge of cosmetic/medical, that it's probably impossible to find one that isn't.

I told my Ortho that I'm not using the whitening gels yet because I want to find a vegetarian one. I thought he would snerk (he's lovely and a lil cheeky) but he said it was perfectly understandable and asked if I could let him know of any brands I find so he can pass them on to other patients. I'll be making a list of companies over the next few weeks and emailing them about ingredients. I'm expecting a lot of ignored emails and likely "we can't confirm our glycerine source" replies. If I find anything that at least has vegetarian ingredients I'll post here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

fezza wrote:
Using acids or baking soda to remove stains has the potential to damage the enamel on your teeth. As you get older your enamel thins naturally, you really don't want to speed that process up. Thinning enamel leaves your teeth looking grey and dull, no matter how much you whiten them.

I'm using the crest strips atm, my teeth had got so yellow it was affecting my self-confidence, like nuclear yellow! I went though a year of braces and didn't want to smile in photos because I looked like a 60 adayer (I don't even smoke!). I didn't want to use the gels with my retainers because the glycerine and Urea can be animal based (although less likely on the urea from what I've read) and I know I suck my retainers in my sleep. With the crest strips I only have them in for 30 mins and spit any drool out (they do make you drool!). I hate that they're tested on animals but I think, with them being on the edge of cosmetic/medical, that it's probably impossible to find one that isn't.

I told my Ortho that I'm not using the whitening gels yet because I want to find a vegetarian one. I thought he would snerk (he's lovely and a lil cheeky) but he said it was perfectly understandable and asked if I could let him know of any brands I find so he can pass them on to other patients. I'll be making a list of companies over the next few weeks and emailing them about ingredients. I'm expecting a lot of ignored emails and likely "we can't confirm our glycerine source" replies. If I find anything that at least has vegetarian ingredients I'll post here.

I'm tempted to do this. My problem is it's only one tooth. One of my two front teeth is really, really darker than my other teeth. My dentist said to use something like Crest whitestrips to get my teeth all lighter, then he would make a whatever to put over the darker tooth, but he wanted it to match my teeth at their whitest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Is he making you a veneer to stick on to the dark tooth? If so, you do need your teeth to be as white as they can go or you'll end up with mismatching teeth every time they darken/lighten. You'll probably need to use a whitening treatment once or twice a year (depending on your diet) to maintain the even colour.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

fezza wrote:
Is he making you a veneer to stick on to the dark tooth? If so, you do need your teeth to be as white as they can go or you'll end up with mismatching teeth every time they darken/lighten. You'll probably need to use a whitening treatment once or twice a year (depending on your diet) to maintain the even colour.

Yep, veneer. I couldn't think of the term for some reason. He thinks I may have damaged it somehow and it's not getting blood flow to the tooth? I don't know. Thinking about buying Crest products makes me sad. I'm going to wait to see what you find out and maybe just try not to be self-conscious about having a dark tooth. (Although every time I see a photo I'm like, wow, that is REALLY noticeable.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Argh, I wish KMF or Jason or someone would make whitening strips. I had those molds made of my teeth a few years ago, but I have no clue what's in the stuff you get from the dentist to fill them with. Alternatively, I could try the Crest white strips I have that expired in 2006.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Anyone know where I can get the recommended Kiss My Face toothpaste? Maybe Whole Foods?

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Lixa wrote:
Getting a Sonicare tooth brush actually helped me a lot. I would be very surprised if that turned out to not be vegan somehow.

I agree with this. Not only will upgrading to a nice electric toothbrush whiten teeth, it will improve gum health. I highly recommend an electric toothbrush in addition to any other whitening treatment or alone. It also has a more consistent brush so you won't wear down your enamel if you use it as the directions say. I think this is a good vegan solution and a good start because it can't really hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

fezza wrote:

I've read a lot of conflicting things- but basically from what I've researched, my conclusion is that using 3% dilution hydrogen peroxide (which is the concentration sold at most drugstores in the US) does no damage to enamel. I brush with this once or twice a week to remove stains. I am going to the dentist end of this month though, so I will ask him to see what he thinks.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm wondering how safe the DIY hydrogen peroxide method is. I mean, I'd totally try it if it were safe (my teeth are so yellow that I'm afraid to laugh when a photo is taken) but my dentist even advised me against going for a whitening treatment at her own clinic because some of my enamel has worn down and it would be bad for my teeth. Still, tempting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My anecdotal experience- the past couple years I noticed more sensitivity on my teeth, but I had never used whitening procedures before, either DIY or professional. Since I started rinsing with a homemade xylitol mouthwash and also using diluted hydrogen peroxide once or twice a week, I've actually noticed I have less sensitivity, plus whiter teeth. I've cut back on acidic foods like oranges and fruit juices, since they do seem to bother my teeth and gums. Anyway, I'll report back from what the dentist says.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I said laugh but I meant smile. Derp.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

I emailed Ultradent, who make the Opalescence brand of whiteners, and they claim that they do not use any animal derived ingredients in any product, and they don't test on animals.

Huzzah!