| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe Space for Food Ranting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm in a serious rut with food. Since being forced to go gluten free cause my body started rejecting it, I've been bored to death with food. I feel like everything I want to eat, I can't. And everything I can eat, I don't want.

On my want/crave list:
Crispy fried "chicken"
Cobb or chef salad with ranch dressing
Breakfast sandwiches (Sausage, egg, and cheese on a bagel)
Meatball parm sandwich
Pizza - I tried it gluten free and it was an epic fail

Thinking maybe I was relying on faux vegan meat products too much and now I'm missing them. But I'm also really missing sandwiches, bread, and bagels in general. All of the gluten free breads I have tried were terrible! And I can't even wrap my head around gluten free baking yet. I've been vegan for 4 years and I just started to feel like a master chef in the kitchen, and now I have to start all over again.

I'm starving and fall is here! It's time to get cooking again, I just don't have any desire.

Post subject: Re: Safe Space for Food Ranting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Hugs. I can see how frustrating that would be! Bread is a big love of mine and I know I'd be bumming if my body started saying no to gluten. The good news is you've got a lot of support here. Lots of rad gxf ppkers that rock out and make yummy things on the daily. The cobb salad should be totally doable gluten free, right? Amy's has a frozen gluten free vegan pizza that's really not bad, that might hit the spot until you get your gluten free dough recipe down.

As for crave lists, I'm pretty broke at the moment and trying to live off of things in my pantry and freezer, so naturally all I want and crave is carry out, especially pizza. And cupcakes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Amy's gluten free vegan pizza has been fulfilling my pizza needs. It's not bad, but it's not good either. Not like the homemade pizza I used to make. And I soooooo feel you on the broke thing! Def trying to eat simple staples at the moment and still feel happy, but it's not working.

I've been making rice stir fry's, rice casseroles, frozen pizza, fries and tots, gf pasta, baked potatoes loaded with toppings, some stews, oatmeal, and hummus and veggie wraps using the rice wraps from food for life. Oh and the food for life gf english muffins.

Mmmmmmm cupcakes! I have to bake a few batches of chocolate mexican snickerdoodles in a few weeks for a camping trip and I'm mega jealous that I can't eat any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I imagine that would be hard, I would be lost without gluteny foods.

Could you still maybe make a chef's salad with ranch? You could make the eggplant bacon from AFR or the chickpea bacon from Vegan Sandwiches? Maybe even find some GF bread that doesn't suck to make croutons!

Then you could use leftover bacon to make breakfast sandwiches with your GF English Muffins.

Hope things get easier for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I stopped eating gluten almost two years ago, and it sucked sometimes. (It still does sometimes.) This is my controversial suggestion. Instead of focusing on what you're craving, focus on making brand new exciting stuff. Maybe buy a cookbook like Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats (I don't have it yet, but everything on the author's blog is AMAZING, so I feel confident in recommending it), and work your way through it and discover new recipes and new foods to be excited about. (Though there also might be ideas on how to make gluten-free versions of the things you're craving--again, I don't have the book but I need to buy it ASAP.) Or just look through cookbooks you have already and find gluten-free things that are new to you. Maybe choose a cuisine you don't make a lot that is gluten-free friendly--get really awesome at making Indian food, for example. When you feel ready you can work on deglutenizing your favorites--like marinated tempeh would be a good stand-in for sausage, right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 pm 

Also maybe look into whether there is a local gluten-free bakery in your area?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I get where your coming from. I am allergic to so many things that I love, it makes variety a little difficult -- I am actually a vegetarian who is allergic to dairy and eggs and honey...ergo, a vegan diet. I tend to rely heavily on very aggressive spicing to give my palette a blast enough to recognize difference. I also find that different heat/cooking methods provides a good enough change for me. It isn't the same but it allows me to cook with the same basic ingredients for 5 days in a row and make something pretty different every night.

I just figure it can always be worse and I try to do the best with what I can. Don't get me wrong: I totally emphasize with you and your restrictions...I am so jealous of those with no allergies/intolerance issues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Gluten free cookbooks are on my Christmas list this year for sure! I don't have any yet so I really need to get some. I've been looking at blogs too, but I'm also in one of those weird nothing looks good to me moods.

I know, I'm being a brat right now about food, but I'm still pissed that I had to make this dietary change unwillingly. And I've never been big on Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, curries or anything in that realm. I need to be more adventurous.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:45 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
Gluten free cookbooks are on my Christmas list this year for sure! I don't have any yet so I really need to get some. I've been looking at blogs too, but I'm also in one of those weird nothing looks good to me moods.

I know, I'm being a brat right now about food, but I'm still pissed that I had to make this dietary change unwillingly. And I've never been big on Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, curries or anything in that realm. I need to be more adventurous.

I totally get it, I was really pissed too.

And I think this is absolutely the time to be adventurous!

I feel like there must be vegan gluten-free bagels available in New York somewhere and you could somehow acquire them. If you're really desperate maybe I could ship some from Portland.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
Also maybe look into whether there is a local gluten-free bakery in your area?

We have an awesome allergy free bakery in Philly, but it's crazy expensive and they don't make bread.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

I totally get it, I was really pissed too.

And I think this is absolutely the time to be adventurous!

I feel like there must be vegan gluten-free bagels available in New York somewhere and you could somehow acquire them. If you're really desperate maybe I could ship some from Portland.

That's the other thing that is pissing me off right now. There are so many gluten free products on the market but they aren't vegan. Eggs and honey in everything!

I might have to start ordering food online if I can find some good stuff that I really want. We have a Whole Foods and every other grocery store known to man right near me. But still with all of that I can't get the Follow your heart ranch dressing or the Food for lovers vegan queso. Really want to try both of those! Ooooh and beyond meat or soy curls.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:55 pm 

I'm assuming you've tried the Food For Life bread? I think it's ok toasted. The Bhutanese Red Rice Bread is my favorite. I definitely prefer the breads from the local gluten-free bakeries here, but I'll eat it in a pinch!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have, but not that kind. I think I just tried the regular rice bread. I thought it was nasty and what's with the tiny slices? My sister in law has celiac (I don't) and she's not vegan, so she can get GF bread from our local bakeries that is awesome. But they all have eggs in them. Boo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:05 pm 

Come to Portland and we'll go eat bagels with Earth Balance at New Cascadia Traditional and pizza at Sizzle Pie and cake and pie at Back to Eden and chicken-fried tempeh steak at Vita Cafe and sandwiches at uh..Divine Cafe or just buy bread and make them at home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You have a deal!!

We are actually planning on selling our house in the spring and making the great move to Portland. Last year we visited for the first time and fell head over heels in love with the whole state of Oregon. Funny enough I was still eating gluten then, but we went to Back to Eden three times and Sizzle Pie twice!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:37 pm 
Impressive boner

Can I have a rant too? I have problems with latex related foods.

I'm sad for banana 'ice cream', guacamole, almond milk, quinoa, hummus, fruit salads and deep fried foods.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Of course you can!

Now there is an allergy I wouldn't even relate to food. ((Hugs))

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
You have a deal!!

We are actually planning on selling our house in the spring and making the great move to Portland. Last year we visited for the first time and fell head over heels in love with the whole state of Oregon. Funny enough I was still eating gluten then, but we went to Back to Eden three times and Sizzle Pie twice!

So basically you just have to hold on for a while and then you'll be in a vegan gluten-free wonderland.

It's still frustrating sometimes. Like every time I go to a Middle Eastern restaurant and request cucumber slices with my hummus and the freshly baked pita bread smells SO GOOD and I miss gluten so much. But there are a ton of options here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yup!

This morning I got caught in the elevator with someone who had a bagel breakfast sandwich from D&D in their hands. It smelled so good and all I could think about was that doughy wonderful bagel. Sigh...

I just looked up the vegan queso to buy online, has gluten. Whomp Whomp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Organicville's ranch dressing is vegan and GF...would that help? It's pretty tasty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:22 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
Yup!

This morning I got caught in the elevator with someone who had a bagel breakfast sandwich from D&D in their hands. It smelled so good and all I could think about was that doughy wonderful bagel. Sigh...

Making your own queso is super easy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes it would thank you! Ive been online looking at food stuff all day. I'm gonna check my whole foods this weekend for stuff and if I can't get it there I'll do an online order.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

GraciaKai wrote:
Yup!

Nacho Mom's Fire Roasted queso is gluten-free. It's a bit tomatoy, but pretty good overall. The brand also has a voodoo queso that's really good, though it's more like a bean dip than a queso.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Whole Foods should have the Organicville dressings. :) They're all very good...I know they're all vegan, not sure if they're all GF or not but I think most are if not all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You guys are all so amazing! Thank you for making me feel better and giving me the pick me up I needed.