| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Netherlands--non-food vegan products
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:08 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has a list of vegan (but not from a health food store) brands of things like shampoo and make up, cleaning products, etc? Or could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Netherlands--non-food vegan products
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Hi! The website seems to be down for now, but this is a pretty good list: http://www.veganisme.org/wiki/

Cleaning products: I use Sonett (available at most health food shops) and Attitude (available at bigger C1000 supermarkets).
Cosmetics etc: I use a lot of Lush products.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I use white vinegar for cleaning my kitchen and non-toilet bathroom stuff. I've started to see EM products around, and am thinking about picking them up to use instead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

EM?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh derp, sorry PoesiePie, I didn't read your post properly and missed the parenthesized remark.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm 

Effective Microorganisms. Something like this: http://www.teraganix.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've used Attitude stuff too and really like it. I've only seen it in health food stores, but it's great that it's also available at the bigger C1000s.

I get some Ecover stuff. Again, I've only seen that in the health food stores in Amsterdam, but I know in Belgium it's available at the normal supermarket, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was available at larger supermarkets in the rest of NL too.

In a pinch, I've bought the occasional Albert Heijn store brand products. (Most often for laundry. I've yet to find a "natural" brand of laundry detergent I'm happy with.) I'm not sure about the ingredients, but from what I understand, their own brand household stuff is at least not tested on animals.

I also use a lot of Lush stuff, and for hair Aveda. I used to use some Dr. van der Hoog stuff but I've been phasing that out because there's some question about their stance on animal testing. They used to be on all the non-testing lists, but recently they seem to be disappearing from those lists. So I'm switching to stuff from Lush and have actually been ordering BWC online. Sorry, that's probably not helpful.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Most of the house brands of stores like Etos, AH and HEMA are not tested on animals I think. HEMA is supposed to have cheap vegan toothpaste.

I hope the product wiki at veganisme.org will be operational again soon. They're working on it, but it's all done by volunteers and they are still busy updating the forum so it doesn't get bogged down with spam all the time. The wiki is the next fix on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love Attitude stuff! But all places near me stopped selling it, and I feel bad mailordering it... sadface.

I wonder if any of the HEMA makeup is vegan?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:21 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks, guys!

Yes, I had heard about Etos, AH, and Hema products being non-animal tested, and I was specifically wondering if the Hema makeup was vegan... hmmm how to figure this out. Does Lush sell makeup, too? Lipsticks and things? I thought it was just soap, really. I'm guessing there are some cheaper brands of vegan shampoo and things in the Etos/Kruidvat, as well, but not sure how to figure it out.
Thanks for that link! I will skim through it soon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Lush recently launched their ALL VEGAN (!!!!) makeup line. I've tried some and it's great. Check it out: https://www.lush.co.uk/emotionalbrilliance/

I personally don't buy Ecover for this reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecover#Controversy (I like rabbit blood to be inside a live rabbit, y'know.)

Etos, AH, DA and Kruidvat all are certified cruelty-free (http://www.proefdiervrij.nl/cosmeticagids) but they won't give you a list of what's vegan and what isn't. In the past I've contacted Kruidvat, Etos and AH and they refused to give me a list, simply because they don't know or don't want to go through the hassle. ("We change manufacturers all the time/there's no way to find out" etc.) If you live close to the German border: send an email to DM (http://www.dm.de/cms/servlet/segment/de_homepage/) and they'll send you a list of their vegan stuff. When I lived closer to the border I'd go to Germany a couple of times a year and get my cleaning products and stuff there. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:02 pm 

Bun wrote:

I personally don't buy Ecover for this reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecover#Controversy (I like rabbit blood to be inside a live rabbit, y'know.)

Ugh! That SUCKS! I had no idea. :( Ok, it's gonna be Attitude from now on. Gad, I hate that! Companies that give lip service to being animal/enviro friendly who then turn around and pull shiitake like this peas me off more than all the mainstream "non-animal friendly" companies. (Scare quotes, 'cause a lot of them I'm not even sure of their status.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:56 pm 

This doesn't really qualify as cheap/supermarket/drug store stuff, but there are now several Sephora stores in NL, and they've got Urban Decay.

I've been to the one in Amstelveen, which was supposed to have the full range of UD products according to the website, but I found they didn't have everything. Still, they had some, and I was happy to find the vegan mascara (can't remember what it was called).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I was about to go all vegan police on your asparagus again because they lost their certified status too, but: http://www.care2.com/causes/urban-decay ... -back.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:00 am 

Yeah, I had just discovered them like a month before the whole "selling to China" debacle started so I was really happy when they actually listened to their customers and changed course! A lot of companies would have just said "Fork you, we want more business".

That said, a lot of their products are too "young" for me. I wish they had some matte eye shadows, as I'm getting to the point that glitter is not really flattering. And I'm running out of the MAC stuff I bought before the whole Estee Lauder-China news broke.

Lavera has a lot of vegan stuff don't they? I buy their toothpaste. I should check out their makeup. Has anyone ever tried it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 am 

I am so happy this thread exists. Keep the info's coming, PPK!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

GOSH might be your thing, Lepelaar! Available at Kruidvat. A list of their vegan products (about a year old):

Quote:
This is true for all Colours in each particular range – unless when specified:

Glamorous Eye Shadow: (10 Gold, 11 Silver, 12 Aqua, 13 Beige, 14 Grey/ Brown, 15 Bottle Green).
Kohl/Eye Liner: (Black, Expresso, White).
Eye Liner Pen (Liquid).
Extreme Art Eyeliner : (1 Purple, 2 Copper, 7 Black, 8 Light Blue,10 Deep Sea Blue, 11 Aqua, 12 Grass Green, 13 Gold, 14 Sølv, 18 Mulit Glitter, 19 Sølv Glitter 20 Gold Glitter 21 Aqua Glitter, 22 Green/ Gold, 23 Dragon Green,25 Metallic Gray, 26 Purple Glitter).
Let´s Twist Eye Liner Waterproof: (Grey Mink, Carbon Black, Soft Splash, So Blue, Green Gate, Blue Grass, Aqua Line, 3 Orange, 4 Yellow, 5 Light Green, 6 Olive Green, Kamikaze, Easy Mango).
Eye Brow Pencil.
Looooong Lash Mascara.
Amazing Length´n Build Mascara
Flirty Curl Mascara.
Effect Powder: (Copper, Sky, Mink, Satin, Glamour, Gold Dust, Kiwi, Azure, Steel, Meringue, Blaze, Apple Jam, Plummy, Greeny, Holographic Silver, Blue Diamond, Fox).
X- Ceptional Wear.
Velvet Touch Foundation Primer.
Velvet Touch Apricot Primer.
Cover Corrector Stick.
Touch Up Concealer.
Pressed Powder.
Pressed Sun Powder.
Giant Sun Powder.
Precious Powder Pearls.
On Stage Cool Lip Jam: (100 White, 101 Blue, 102 Peach, 103 Brown, 104 Orange, 105 Plum, 107 Nature).
Soft´n Shine Lip Balm: (30 Barbie, 31 Passion Pink, 32 Angle, 33 Scarlet, 35 Antique Gold, 36 Mocha, 37 Soft Touch, 38 Aubergine, 39 Sweetheart, 40 Irony, 41 Kiss).
Light´n Shine Lip Glaze: (01 White, 02 Pink, 03 Soft Rosa, 05 Blomme, 06 Light Brown).
Nail Lacquer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm 

Dude! Thank you! I don't know GOSH, but I'll be printing out this list and heading to the Kruidvat!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I use their eyebrow pencil and concealer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:03 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

GOSH stuff is great!
And I use pretty much all Etos toiletries.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Did you manage to get a vegan list?!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 am 

Does anyone know where I can get inexpensive vegan make up brushes? I lost all my brushes when my backpack was stolen from the train this week, so I'm going to need to replace them, hopefully asap. I don't have time to go out to Sephora, and was hoping to find some at Etos, Kruidvat, or Hema. But when I checked at the Etos a while ago, their house brand brushes were marked as "natural". Where do you guys get your make up brushes?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lepelaar wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get inexpensive vegan make up brushes? I lost all my brushes when my backpack was stolen from the train this week, so I'm going to need to replace them, hopefully asap. I don't have time to go out to Sephora, and was hoping to find some at Etos, Kruidvat, or Hema. But when I checked at the Etos a while ago, their house brand brushes were marked as "natural". Where do you guys get your make up brushes?

According to this blog the bodyshop seems to sell them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm 

Ooh, thanks, V_E! I was googling this morning and was having no luck. Actually, the Ecotools they mention on that blog look interesting and are available via iherb, where I was just about to place an order. They're really affordable too. Maybe I'll give those a try. Body Shop would be quicker, since I can just walk in there, but they don't have as big a selection and they're more expensive. (Plus, the parent company thing, but it's getting harder to avoid bad parent companies nowadays.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

E.L.F. have non-animal hair brushes. I think it's their studio line, but I'm not sure. The ones I have aren't exactely inexpensive: I have some from Aveda, last year I splurged on a set of Bdellium bamboo ones (from a Dutch webshop called Boozyshop).